Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2014, 09:58 AM

119 posts, read 300,590 times

Advertisements

I've been anxious for the past few weeks so much so that I can't sleep more than 2-3 hours a night. No matter how tired I am, my heart is always beating fast and I feel sick to my stomach a lot of the time. It's comparable to the feeling some experience when going on stage to give a speech. Sleeping aids are not helping- zzzquil, adol, advil pm. There has been a lot of stress recently due to being in the home buying situation but generally if I'm under stress I can rock myself to sleep (I know it sounds crazy lol). I just pop headphones on with my ipod and rock on the bed. That isn't even working anymore. Is there a product someone can recommend that'll make me go to sleep but not be drowsy all the next day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 10:29 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,476,318 times
You might try melatonin an hour or so before you want to sleep. I am sensitive to most meds so I start out at a low dose or else this will give me sluggish the next day. It's important to realize that if you are sleep deprived, the first few nights of finding something that will allow you to relax may also a but drowsy the next day. Maybe starting on a weekend will alleviate that.

I also started to take magnesium supplements as well as using magnesium oil as a foot rub before sleeping. If you like baths, try a warm bath in Epsom salts to relax. Something else I use is lavender oil. A few drops on my temples when I get in bed helps. There are plenty of articles online if you google it. See which ones you can easily adopt.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:22 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,433,236 times
I usually wouldn't recommend this but try having a shot or two of booze before you doze off. YES alcohol might interrupt your sleep pattern eventually but at least it will help you get a few hours in.

Also nothing wrong with a long walk and some light stretching before bed.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:29 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,086,888 times
Try talking to your doctor about it. He/she may temporarily put you on some prescription drugs until your stress level is lower. Also, you might try counseling to cope with your stress and anxiety. Do you exercise? Exercise is proven to help even if you're tired.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:51 AM

119 posts, read 300,590 times
Thanks everyone. We finally closed so my stress level has reduced enormously. I bought some melatonin but have yet to try it and I have never drank alcohol. Exercise happens about once or twice a week but I'm definitely going to make it a priority starting today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health