Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2014, 11:48 AM

17 posts, read 13,519 times

Advertisements

I have nightmares every. single. night.

I have been diagnosed with BPD recently.

I'm managing very well all the main symptoms I had : chronic emptiness, constant feelings of rejection, mistrust of others, conflict seeking, acting outs...etc)

But I find it difficult, nearly impossible, to manage myself at night.

My psychiatrist told me it's normal that people with BPD get nightmares all the time, but this is really something I would like to remove from my life.

I've tried medication but it doesn't work very well.

I do not remember a single night in the last decade when I didn't have a gruesome nightmare. And I find it very difficult not to binge on food (because overeating knocks me back to sleep) when I wake up terrified.

I've been doing this since I'm 5 or 6, waking up after an hour because I'm having horrible dreams then binging on food to put me back to bed.

I've been eating less at night but now I just wake up and wait it out. It can take hours to allow the stress and anguish to come down. Sometimes I have to wait until the sun comes up.

I'm really really fed up with this habit and although it's not as bad as it used to be, I am still unable to get one night of peaceful sleep.

If by some chance someone went through the same thing and has a solution, I'm all ears!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 03:58 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Start by eliminating all TV (including news), Internet and movie sources that depict violence, horror or suspense.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:50 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,279,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Start by eliminating all TV (including news), Internet and movie sources that depict violence, horror or suspense.
Yes and you can find things that help you relax, either before or when you wake up. Taking a bath, soft music, herbal tea, breathing exercises, etc. You have to find what works for you to relax you that doesnt include stuffing yourself.

Also do not drink any stimulants, such as caffeine, and dont drink any alcohol.

Also, I used to have nightmares plus a difficult time getting to sleep and never related it to the meds I was taking OR to the fact that I had sleep apnea. My mind was subconsciously not wanting to sleep and also waking up, because I was afraid I couldnt BREATHE.
Kids can and do have sleep apnea also. You dont have to snore to have sleep apnea. Ask to be tested. Ask if any of your meds could be causing you to dream heavily. I know Trazodone and Lunesta did that to me.

Good luck!!

Old 06-10-2014, 07:52 AM

17 posts, read 13,519 times
I am already avoiding cafeine and I do not drink alcohol.

The only solution I have is to go to bed very early. I rarely go to bed past 9 PM but I still wake up from nightmares, just like last night.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:12 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
I wish I had some help for you. My mother used to have nightmares. She's 90 now and on some sort of scary medication and her nightmares and sleep issues seem to have gone, but then she's 90 and so that's not going to help. I went through a period in my 20s where I had nightmares but the went away on their own after a few years. Hormones?
Seems like there would be something....have you gotten on any of the BPD forums out there? You can usually weed out the quackier suggestions.
Since you asked, yes I've had chronic sleep problems. Since....late teens? early 20s? I'm almost 59 and for at least the last 20 years I've had extremely broken sleep. Sleep good for a couple of hours then I'm awake. I figure I must doze or I'd be dead right? But I do, or did for years check my watch frequently so i know I was away at 1230, 130, 230 300 etc. I've been trying to quit that. It seems like my sleep gets more broken and I'm more awake as the night goes on. Get up before 5 for work. In bed at 9, have everything as dark as I can and do all the other recommended things. Just the way it is. I do think it has impacted by brain though. I probably have sleep apnea now which probably doesn't help, but its been this way forever so thats not it. My brain doesn't shut down or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health