U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 10:25 PM

3,605 posts, read 5,269,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
Yes, I do. And so do many other people. But we don't spend our time dwelling on it. Time to face what your future is really going to be like and stop focusing on what other peoples lives are like compared to yours. Is it possible you may be single all or most of your life and/or not have many or any close friends? Possibly. So work at finding a good job, a good area to live, and a good house, hobbies, etc. so that at least you'll have that to look forward to.
I doubt you're as alone as I am. I doubt you really know what it's like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It's YOUR truth, the one you've convinced yourself of, but it's not THE truth.

Big difference.
Have you sat in these quacks' offices with me? No. I can tell you they were all completely useless. All they gave me was attention, no help whatsoever.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
If you've met a few bad apples then I'm sorry for you, but don't give up searching for someone who can and will help you - they are out there.

Many therapists and psychiatrists are very caring and competent.
I repped you but I garbled the comment. I said "I've yet to find one".

Old 07-10-2014, 10:31 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,481,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
I doubt you're as alone as I am. I doubt you really know what it's like.
You've got a case of the Eeyore's- nobody is as bad off as you.

Considering you ignored my post and everyone elses that's trying to help, you're probably not going to be happy with any answers or help that anyone has for you, including professionals. Maybe you don't want to get 'better'? Sounds to me like you have your mind made up that this is how you're going to be and no one can solve the puzzle.

So like I said- move on. Quick thinking about you all the time. And find something, ANYTHING that makes you happy and go with that.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:32 PM

15,599 posts, read 36,152,747 times
You go in with the mindset they are not going to help you...and thats exactly what you'll get. No help. Seems to me you've pretty much convinced yourself you are going to be lonely and scared the rest of your life, so you may as well accept that fact and get over it.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
You go in with the mindset they are not going to help you...and thats exactly what you'll get. No help. Seems to me you've pretty much convinced yourself you are going to be lonely and scared the rest of your life, so you may as well accept that fact and get over it.
I don't go in with that mindset. I go in with a positive attitude that gets crushed by their incompetence and apathy.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:36 PM

Deleted a dumb post I made. Davros

Last edited by Davros; 07-10-2014 at 10:40 PM.. Reason: deleted inappropriate post

Old 07-10-2014, 10:42 PM

The reason I'm ranting on this forum is I have to meet someone I've never met and work with them tomorrow at my job and I'm scared to death they're going to hate me, so I'm acting out my addiction to ranting on internet forums. This is the nature of my social anxiety. I seek comfort through addictions. I'm lucky I never tried heroin.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:09 PM

85,055 posts, read 78,223,663 times
Quote:
Therapists refuse to help me with that. They basically just sit there and waste my money. They say, oh, try striking up random conversations at work and at airports. Yeah, right. People at work don't want to talk to me. People at airports definitely don't want to talk to me. This is not to get dates, this is to practice socialization. Well, it does not work. Therapy is useless.
No, therapy with the wrong therapists is useless. You need to find ones that specialize in social anxiety, then try a few out, and see which ones sound like they have a real handle on it. Most generic therapists are pretty useless. Many specialize these days, though.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:28 PM

10,740 posts, read 5,313,207 times
Quote:
The reason I'm ranting on this forum is I have to meet someone I've never met and work with them tomorrow at my job and I'm scared to death they're going to hate me, so I'm acting out my addiction to ranting on internet forums. This is the nature of my social anxiety. I seek comfort through addictions. I'm lucky I never tried heroin.
^Just wish you'd made this post the OP, because then those of us who have become acquainted with your recurring challenges would be able to figure out what was going on,
straight off the bat, instead of wading through the static of what you were ranting about at first. Not scolding you, just sayin' I appreciate it when folks get right to the point.

It's regrettable that you've yet to find mental health professionals with whom you can & do get along well, whom you feel able to trust,
who "get" you as an individual, yet also can give you sense that they've seen this sort of problem before.
I'm lucky that since my Asperger's was diagnosed a decade ago, I've been able to have better interactions/sessions with my treatment team.
I've had plenty of far-from-satisfactory providers in past, as well-please don't let it sour you on the entire enterprise.

On a "housekeeping" note, wouldn't this thread belong better in Psychology or Mental Health ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health