Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 01:55 PM

173 posts, read 256,708 times

Advertisements

This started happening pretty recently. I'll be sitting on the bus, or going about my morning, when all of the sudden, I recall an intense bit of a memory from a dream or even a childhood memory (today it was sneaking my stuffed animal through an airport when I was 8), often several incidents/feelings that didn't occur, then I feel a wave of the worst possible feeling. It happened several days ago on the bus to school, and the nausea made me reel over and grab onto the bus rails for support. It also makes me lose touch with reality for a few moments. The intense feelings/memories are gone to me once it's over; I usually cannot recall any of it after. It is so nauseating that it makes me go "uggghh". I feel like I might die for those moments. It lasts maybe 15 seconds. But the way I feel after, makes me lose touch with reality and my identity (which is wavering as it is).

Add these new incidents to the fact I'm in a foreign country and don't speak to any of my old family or friends (not that they were ever close anyway), and the impact on my psychological state is amplified. Hard to explain. These moments of forgetting who I am and being thrown over by mere memories, coupled with having no solid/enduring relationships in my life, makes it worse.

Does anyone know what the duck this phenomenon is?

I found this link http://www.ourhealth.com/conditions/...-and-confusion which sounds like something similar, but it looks like no one pinpointed what exactly it is. Another one: http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread568778/pg1

I must clarify, though, it's not the same as Deja Vu. When I had those in the past, they were triggered by something I saw around me, that seemed remarkably familiar like it had happened before, but didn't make me feel disgusted, whereas this is recalling something (a recent dream) or even triggered by familiar surroundings (on the bus), sometimes recalling things that never happened...?

Maybe it's linked to some old mental issues I'v experienced (but which haven't plagued me lately)--when I was younger the sounds of television and people around me talking seemed to follow a certain inflection pattern that made me feel strange. That's the best I can describe this.

When I was 4, I woke up three times in the morning to very odd occurrences. Once, I opened my eyes and saw monsters standing around my room, peering out from behind furniture, with large warts, and smiling at me. They were in all different shapes/sizes. They weren't moving. They seemed benevolent, but scared me enough that I went under my blankets and didn't open my eyes again. Another time, I opened me eyes and saw what I recognized to be the fireplace from my living room/Captain Crunch (??) walking in my room to kill me with a sword. I quickly hid under my blankets. The third was when I woke up underneath my bed, and couldn't see anything/was trapped...I didn't know where I was, and felt every side around me, which all seemed solid, when finally my mom came after hearing me screaming and simply lifted up the bed skirt.

Once I ate a pot brownie around age four, and the hallucinations (that seemed very real) may have been linked. Can a pot brownie make you see things plain as day...?

The last thing, which has happened more recently, is a lingering sensation, when I brush my fingers over my arm for example, it would be like a vibrating feeling almost.

Last edited by supersavina; 07-13-2014 at 02:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 03:02 AM

1 posts, read 60,578 times
I have this...

Old 07-17-2014, 06:16 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
I had that and was dx'ed with temporal lobe seizures many years ago. I had the exact same feeling that you describe and at first it was just that but later it progressed to passing out during what I learned was the "aura." This went on and off for about 10 years tho I was on tegretol, but then I got pregnant and cleaned up my diet and stopped drinking diet sodas and they stopped. For good. I have not had one since.

I am not going to claim that stopping the aspartame will stop this--for me it was a trigger but yours may differ. You may want to think about the past few weeks and think if there's something you're doing or consuming that is different from your usual pattern and get thee to a doctor. Also, very important: if you happen to be driving or operating machinery and you start to feel this--pull over or stop what you're doing b/c you could very well pass out and it's pretty sudden. I hate to scare you like this but the doc told me that even if you only get the aura, that is a full blown seizure and can damage your brain just the same.

Personal note: The baby was fine and just graduated from college this spring. A few years before I got pregnant the doc had told me that tegretol would be a safe drug to take during pregnancy. By the time I got pregnant though, they knew otherwise and had a fit. Apparently it causes a higher incidence of spina bifida, which can be prevented by taking folic acid and I just happened to be taking it when I got pregnant and they were just learning about the connection at that time. That was a wow moment!

Please come back and share what you find out if you want--I'd be interested.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:33 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Wow, I just looked at your first link and was amazed at how many folks experience it. Wow. I have met a couple of people who said it though. Mine was gone before the internet became common I guess.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:35 PM

9,907 posts, read 9,579,736 times
I'm not a licensed therapist to be able to diagnose you, however,,, I have heard about this - this is possible - that you have memories stored up in your brain, and something triggered them, along with the feelings you had at the time of the thing you are remembering.

It may be a good thing in that you can work them out and be free of the harm they were being all bottled up inside you.

Or maybe it is something else, I dont know. Keep on talking this out with a trusted person.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:23 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
I have this as well. I am 30 now and have had it since I was 15. Sometimes I can have the episodes as often as a few times per week and then I can go months without them. I almost enjoy them, especially the childlike feeling I get during the minutes afterwards. After about 15 minutes I lose all memory of them.

I am also a smoker and have started and quit several times over the past several years. When smoking, these episodes are very rare. When I stop smoking they are more frequent again. I think something about nicotine helps prevent them.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:10 AM

1 posts, read 48,489 times
What the heck is this . I get flashbacks of a dream or even the thought of the dream makes me feel like I’m loosing control of my self and I feel my mouth going numb and I just get really disgusted . I feel honestly like I’m getting possessed or something cuz it’s scary as hell. It just happened right now and it hadI me praying to god cuz I feel like im gonna die. Help

Old 10-24-2018, 12:27 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Taking a stab in the dark here...the memory or deja vu triggered a sort of panic attack. Panic attacks can trigger nausea, overall sickness, loss of control, helplessness (weakness). First there's a big release of stress hormones/adrenaline but then the body has to metabolize and get rid of it again. Maybe a manifestation of PTSD?

Old 01-04-2019, 07:41 PM

1 posts, read 46,717 times
I have been having on some days non stop flashbacks to past dreams I had when I was sick and when it would leave or stay it makes me feel sick when I am not and then when it leaves I feel fine but now I feel like everything I try to forget about the things that happend to me when I was sick then it comes at me full force and it makes me feel sick please help

Old 02-06-2019, 09:47 AM

1 posts, read 45,824 times
This happened to me this morning. I had been eating a curry of aubergines the night before and reading a book written by someone slightly mentally ill, possibly a high-functioning schizophrenic. I had a disturbing dream and woke up nauseated. Then when trying to recal the dream later when fully awake I was not able to bring it to mind fully but when touching the edges of it in my memory felt incredibly ill and nauseated causing me to stop what I was doing and lie down. A similar event happened when I was 13 and had just been reading Dostoevsky’s Crime and Punishment at the point where the hero kills his landlady. Then the provoking factor seemed to be one of my father’s cigars. I suspect that both events were minor temporal lobe seizures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health