Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 09:18 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times

Advertisements

I wanted to post a note or two about diary writing, so I found the section that said "Daily Journals".......but that seems more about keeping accounts of this or that ailment, such as what Charlotte had to do in SATC.

So I come here since yes, to me, my diary writing is often about keeping a positive mental attitude, that often when I find I have days on end where I'm not as "productive" because I've been wasting time on distracting, decadent activities, I'm probably not making entries in my diary.

So is this the section?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 03:23 AM

806 posts, read 2,340,760 times
Yes, this could be the place.. Why not!

What do you feel good about in yourself?

Old 08-16-2014, 07:05 AM

I'm alive, I've got some time to get things done, I can live my life as I want to.

I'm here in my den, that's where the laptop is, sorting things away. There are stacks of media waiting for transfer around, so even though that takes a lot of time, in the end, one doesn't have much to show that they have done anything. And I am behind, very much behind, getting the pictures on the flypage of my diary that reflect my thoughts for that day (sort of a visual index).

But the sun is up, I can open the shades, and I'm sure my "witch's cats" (black tortoise) are ready to go out.

And I might even make myself a cup of percolated coffee!

Old 08-16-2014, 08:01 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,423,675 times
In my therapy practice I have found that people, at the end of the day, worry about what didn't get done. When you replace that with a list of what you DID do, without minimzing the little things, can go a long way to make one feel better.

And remembering that we are not just what we do.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:50 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Back when I lived in the area where all the life crap happened and there were triggers everywhere, my moods were extremely eratic. Nothing could be really done to fix it since it was all triggers. Nothing but moving to a completly different place but I did that later.

I'd have days I just didn't want to open the door. But what I learned was to set goals in small steps. I'd pick the most needy thing and work on just that, nothing else. Yes the dishes needed washing and the this needed done and that needed done, but that was a dish moment. I let myself succeed with little things. Sometimes that all you can do but then you can build on the little things. You can make a much bigger dent if you take the next little thing and go for it.

I also had learned when I knew I was very vulnerable to triggers, to stay away from them. I'd find something in my apartment to do which I enjoyed, which belonged to today not yesterday. Maybe it was beautiful outsode but once I saw the time bomb it wouldn't matter.

I could say at the end of the day, I did this and this and this and this. I felt good. It was much better than saying I was going to overhaul the kitchen but only got a few dishes washed.

Baby steps can be a very good thing sometimes.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:19 AM

Well, I am by no means perfect, but when I have a certain thought that could lead to anxiety going into a positive feedback loop, I'll usually counter it with a mental process that reasserts control and focuses my thinking elsewhere. Hence, if one were to go through my diary, they may find several picture references of

in one form or another.

The thing is that only do the pictures serve as a visual index but they also give me, as I turn the pages in this or that volume, a brief transition to another way of life, a momentary leap into another world. I may not instantly remember what I wrote that caused me to use that image and not all images are an index to a "good thing", but seeing them does probably grant me a moment of escapism, a moment of motivation to how I might change my world for the better.

And with that.....I have more diary pages to fill!

Old 08-18-2014, 02:21 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I wanted to post a note or two about diary writing, so I found the section that said "Daily Journals".......but that seems more about keeping accounts of this or that ailment, such as what Charlotte had to do in SATC.

So I come here since yes, to me, my diary writing is often about keeping a positive mental attitude, that often when I find I have days on end where I'm not as "productive" because I've been wasting time on distracting, decadent activities, I'm probably not making entries in my diary.

So is this the section?

The forum has a blog area, you might think about using that.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The forum has a blog area, you might think about using that.
I appreciate that, but the thing is that my diary writing is done in abstract.....lest they should fall into unfriendly hands, so in a blog entry, it runs into the immediate "problem" as it can't be "read" by anyone else.

But, it's more than that. It's not really about what's in my day to day entries.

It's about seeing a world where, apparently, everyone is saying how miserable they are and no one is saying how great they feel about themselves. It's about expressing the ways I use to reassure myself, to lower my stress points and BP, and seeing if "happiness loves company". It's about seeing if I am the onlyy one who gives 1/2 Price Books motivation to sell blank journals. It's about learning new approaches.

I didn't start keeping a diary until I was almost 40. I was shopping with Mom through Garden Ridge, saw one with the "classic" Cat & computer mouse on the front, and picked it up. Even then, it took me a long while to start recording day to day and then, years to make it a dedicated habit. The adding of pictures didn't start till I was required to do it in my acting journals.........and it slowly expanded outward from that.

So, note and perhaps learn at what others experience.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:50 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I appreciate that, but the thing is that my diary writing is done in abstract.....lest they should fall into unfriendly hands, so in a blog entry, it runs into the immediate "problem" as it can't be "read" by anyone else.

But, it's more than that. It's not really about what's in my day to day entries.

It's about seeing a world where, apparently, everyone is saying how miserable they are and no one is saying how great they feel about themselves. It's about expressing the ways I use to reassure myself, to lower my stress points and BP, and seeing if "happiness loves company". It's about seeing if I am the onlyy one who gives 1/2 Price Books motivation to sell blank journals. It's about learning new approaches.

I didn't start keeping a diary until I was almost 40. I was shopping with Mom through Garden Ridge, saw one with the "classic" Cat & computer mouse on the front, and picked it up. Even then, it took me a long while to start recording day to day and then, years to make it a dedicated habit. The adding of pictures didn't start till I was required to do it in my acting journals.........and it slowly expanded outward from that.

So, note and perhaps learn at what others experience.
My gosh, I know what you mean! Sometimes I feel alone in feeling good about myself...I love my friends but sometimes when we get together, it's a lengthy ***** session (two friends in particular I've mentally dubbed "The sob sisters." A shame as they're both so gifted in so many ways but they don't "get" it.

I've spent a lot of time in reading (and putting into practice the suggestions) various self-help and enlightenment books to get where I am. The book The Power of Now greatly impacted my life for the better. I finally was able to forgive my parents for real and imagined transgressions. They did the best they could.

Sure there are days when I feel a little blue...the weather (lack of sunshine) really can affect my mood. Being joyous 24/7 is not realistic.

But with my creative art (writing) going strong, a regular yoga practice, an aerobic practice at the gym 4-5x a week and a loving spouse, I consider myself a very fortunate human being. I've a dry roof, enough food and wonderful friends. And living a simple life suits me perfectly. I wish others could know their power and strength. I do what I can to lift spirits I encounter. A warm smile can work wonders, yes?

Old 08-18-2014, 05:28 PM

Looking at the differences, I feel like the dog in: Dog Diary vs. Cat Diary

..............which seems rather odd to me since I have one dog and 4 cats.

In any event, to me, diary writing seems like a very positive thing. Yesterday, I went to a girlfriend's son's birthday party. 2.5 hours to get there, 5 hours at the party, 2.5 hours to get back, 2.5 hours of sleep before work.

One might argue with themselves what's the point of going such distances to see a children's birthday party? Well, my girlfriend wanted me to be part of her life and I should (and do) accept such invitations as much as I can. Because life isn't all about me. Sort of like what "Gin" said in "Entrapment"...."Being alone sucks!".

But also, I get to see friends, see their lives for a while, and get to consider what I might do to change my life some.

And all that goes in the diary, so I can think, reflect on it,........and have a place to go back to read and remember what my thoughts were, what fun I felt.................

...............even if my children are destined to be along the lines of furry and four legged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health