Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2014, 11:35 PM

20 posts, read 26,281 times

Advertisements

I saw a therapist about 10 years ago, and he was cordial in the first meeting, but in the 2nd meeting, he became all belligerent and abusive. He was saying stuff like "why don't you contribute?" and "well you said you had a brother, well it's clear he's superior to you" and "well, why not move out of your house?" and if I responded by saying I couldn't afford it he said "well, people will come and stab you because of this, and the ambulance men wouldn't help you, because you're a bad person!"

I stopped seeing him, since....well I won't spell out why.

But then I don't get why I still feel a bit offended at this. I guess because I was in an already vulnerable state, and that it can out of the blue. However, are there therapists, who...well get how people behave in modern society? I remember I told that guy how I spent all day playing video games, and he said it was "abnormal". But then this is a common thing, look at uni aged people, even young teens/tweens. Are they all mentally ill because of it? I suppose the reason what he said bothered me so much is that it was an attack against my lifestyle, and one which society endorses and doesn't condemn. I'm sure many teens on here, or persons who have children, can experience this. So I don't get how this is a "pathology" all of a sudden....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 01:11 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
I don't think its about "right" but about being healthy. I sometimes have intrusive thoughts and flashbacks about something that POed me back years ago.

From what you said, he may have been a bit out of touch w your generation. Also, a lot of therapists are working out there own "stuff."

I once saw a therapist who made me feel like i was an alcoholic because when he asked me how much i drink i said "until i'm drunk!" (hee-hee) but i was 21 and this was age appropriate at the time. Later i learned he has a daughter around my age who is a drug addict/alcoholic.

My point is, if you CAN help it, try not to let it bother you.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:04 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
So the therapist said things which were offensive to you...

Did you tell him you were offended by what he said?

Also if you can, please do explain why you stopped seeing the therapist???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health