U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2014, 01:48 AM

11,465 posts, read 6,251,178 times

Advertisements

I restarted belly dance class tonight after not dancing for several months. Didn't go too badly though I am sure I well feel it in various areas of the body as the hours and days wear on.

In dance, I am one to use "glamor spells" where I have this entire personalty scenario to assist me remove myself from my normal world and to get more into my dance. So for belly dancing, I am "Andromeda", an older witch who remembers her younger days as a dancer and glamors into that person.

There is, however a catch to it. In glamor spells, one is seeing, living in the body of whoever, but for the exertions done, one still feels it in their same old body.

My mind over matter techniques are not perfect, however, and I don't see my glamor self in the dance mirrors. So for that, I have to construct another part of the scenario to explain it, such as, perhaps, a spirit trapped in the mirror world, or something.

Tonight, however, I wasn't using glamor but just being me, though as my teacher was showing me the new moves, I was busy, well putting it on the back burner for development, what character I could create where such moves would be natural to them, that to mimic or assume them would make it much easier to achieve the move. Especially for those moves that are not so easy to me naturally. "No one" made yet, but as time goes on, I'm sure I will come up with someone.

The thing all about this is that as a dancer and an actress, I assume one of multiple characters to best address a situation. I don't have to necessarily think how to do it, but rather just "activate" a particular character and then, as them, I am just seeing the world through their eyes, doing it (to a degree, see down below what I say about meditation). In one dance workshop several months ago, for example, we were working on different ways to dance for the audience, from lost in our own world, dancing entirely for the audience, and the audience is there for me. And I did it by shifting from one of personalty that I had that best fit those definitions to another. It wasn't "okay, what do I do now?" but rather "as her, this is just the way she is.".

The assumption may not be necessary to get past the situation, but it helps me not only put my best face forward, but many times makes it rather FUN!

Sometimes, knowing "who I am" occurs after the fact but then knowing such, I know who I can employ the next time around, girl or boy. For example, when I was teaching the other day, afterwards, I felt like General Savage, when he got the squadron really going, from "12 O'Clock High". It may have been just a one second scene, "Right you are!", but "having been that", I can play it in a one second loop, and relish in the good feelings I draw from it.

Is it risky? I suppose so from at least two or three aspects. First of all, while I don't have a personalty to address every situation, it might go that way eventually. As tonight demonstrated, something comes up and it now seems like an automatic response to assembly a personalty to address it. That's not necessarily bad, such as when it comes down to "someone who could do that move better".

But.......it might eventually be bad if in assuming another personalty, that person is fun that one is always assuming them and is never leaving them until it they are forced to.

FORTUNATELY, for me, that does not seem to be much of a problem for the characters that are easy to assume, such as in seconds, are the easiest to disrupt, to be distracted by other affairs, or even other characters that might take the next moment better. And those which are not so easily distracted, who are someone with myself removed or pushed to a corner of my mind, often take a decently long session of meditation to put into place.

Finally, there is the matter of "Well, who is the real Tamara Savannah?". Right now, that doesn't seem like to be much of an issue and with my Renaissance Lady approach to life, perhaps it never will be.....perhaps.

So why all this here? Because as I read about people in pain seeing the world through one set of eyes, I hope that they cant take my approaches, see the world through another set, if for a while, and find some ease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or