U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2014, 09:40 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,556,955 times

Advertisements

For mild-moderate anxiety/depression/agitation/insomnia, etc. I'm unsure which is best to cover more bases/ground w/ any type stress disorder.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 09:48 PM

21,748 posts, read 20,802,412 times
It's different for everyone. My husband's dr just prescribed valerian for him. It did absolutely nothing. It has never helped me with my sleep either. Passion flower seemed to have some sedating effect on me but again, it didn't put me to sleep. Skullcap? I don't think I ever tried that one. Mostly it's trial and error to see if one of these will work in your particular case.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It's different for everyone. My husband's dr just prescribed valerian for him. It did absolutely nothing. It has never helped me with my sleep either. Passion flower seemed to have some sedating effect on me but again, it didn't put me to sleep. Skullcap? I don't think I ever tried that one. Mostly it's trial and error to see if one of these will work in your particular case.
Hmm, thx for this. I tried V-root awhile back & it helped sleep but I worry herbs affect liver. Haha, again, I value my wine nights & thus avoid liver toxins as wine is enough issues, I know. But maybe I'll try Passion or maybe the wildcard here, Skullcap, as it seems kinda worth a try. Thx again.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:27 AM

27,840 posts, read 26,441,110 times
Maybe L-theanine. I'm considering it.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:05 AM

5,185 posts, read 3,856,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Hmm, thx for this. I tried V-root awhile back & it helped sleep but I worry herbs affect liver. Haha, again, I value my wine nights & thus avoid liver toxins as wine is enough issues, I know. But maybe I'll try Passion or maybe the wildcard here, Skullcap, as it seems kinda worth a try. Thx again.
I have two wine nights, Sat. and Sun. No sleep aids on those days. Alcohol knocks me out for 2-4 hrs. but after that it's hard to go back to sleep. Last nite I was able to coax two more hrs. but that's not typical. Apparently, booze suppresses glutamate which is an excitatory substance but when the alcohol leaves, the brain overcompensates with glutamate production.

On the other 5 nights, trazadone 25 mg. on Mon. and Thu; 1.5 tabs of Benadryl generic on Wed.; and Unison Sleep Tabs (not the regular Unisom anti-histamine) on Tue. and Fri. I like to alternate rather than repeat a given sleep aid on consecutive days to lower the risk of tolerance. Also, 1.5 mg. Melatonin on the 5 weekday nights. Oh, and also do the Kelly air hunger exercises for 3 min. each of the weekday nights to bulk up the CO2 which dilates the tissue to enhance O2 entry assimilation. So far, this works.

Such a pain though, and to think I went more than 70 yrs. without insomnia.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:18 AM

21,748 posts, read 20,802,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
For liver protection, try Milk Thistle. It's been used in Europe for a long time and I remember a local VA hospital using it for alcoholics. There are some good brands as well as low quality brands. The one I like is Thisilyn and I think the brand is Source Naturals. It's somewhat expensive but you can mail order it and get it cheaper.

I can't remember if I ever tried Skullcap--that may be worth looking into for me as well.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
For liver protection, try Milk Thistle. It's been used in Europe for a long time and I remember a local VA hospital using it for alcoholics. There are some good brands as well as low quality brands. The one I like is Thisilyn and I think the brand is Source Naturals. It's somewhat expensive but you can mail order it and get it cheaper.

I can't remember if I ever tried Skullcap--that may be worth looking into for me as well.
Also worth trying is Tyrosine. Have heard much good re: it. There's the Adaptogens too, but never tried any. Chamomile tea helps, as does not letting my bld sugar drop by missing meals or eating too light daily. Trying to keep muscle, while not gaining fat is hard as we age. It was easier in my 20's, as you all know that aren't also there anymore.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:21 AM

6,322 posts, read 5,072,378 times
Valerian has the best reputation for this. But believe it or not, I often find Ibuprofen helps me sleep. It unwinds my muscles including my brain.

I take a prescribed benzo and Melatonin to sleep. If those don't work, i take L - theanine.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:25 AM

I tried benzos & w/drawal is horrible. No more of them. So, used Suntheanine w/ no real noticeablity. Now will retry V root, or maybe GABA as seen w/ mood issues, & many say it helps. I was prescribed SSRI's at one time but not happy w/ them either. I'm now frree of all meds for anxitey/depression but still can't find a best cure natural that works for me yet.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:43 PM

Anyone have elevated liver enzymes w/ Valerian? I hear it can affect liver, so leery of trying it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health