U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2014, 09:19 PM

3 posts, read 2,769 times

Advertisements

A psychiatrist prescribed me Lamictal XR (lamotrigine) 100 mg. tablets the other day, but I haven't filled the 'script yet. A healthcare worker once told me a potential side effect of the drug is that your flesh could literally melt off of your body. I'm leaving out some details, but what he told me was absolutely disgusting. Now, I've heard that the drug is quite effective at managing depressive symptoms. However, I'm not so sure the side effect profile is something I can [mentally] handle.

Are we a fan of trying Lamictal XR?

Peace and freedom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 11:30 PM

3 posts, read 11,194 times
The rare side effect you are talking about is called Stevens-Johnson Syndrome (google it - it is a horrible rash - if anything that looks like it develops stop taking the med and go to an emergency room for treatment.) It happens in maybe 1-2% of the patients taking the medicine. It happens early on in treatment, maybe in the first couple of weeks of treatment. If you decide to take LamictilXR you MUST take it every single day. If you skip a single day you must restart the medicine at the lowest dose it was prescribed. e.g. you just can't pick up and resume taking it at a dose higher than the starting dose. I hope your psychiatrist went over all of this with you. Your so-called healthcare worker should be thrashed for saying what s/he said to you.

Old 09-21-2014, 04:09 AM

14,545 posts, read 18,413,482 times
I took it for several years. I didn't get a devistating skin disease, but though I was taking two others I have become very intollerant of sun. I get a dry skin type rash on my cheek when in the sun now, with no meds for a couple of years. It will give you a marked sensitivity to sun and do take all the warnings serious. It may have been from a combo of that and welbrutain or not, but I have a scaley, dry area on my lower cheek which only seemes to feel better with cortozine cream, but has never cleared. Sun causes it to return. Staying out of the sun seems the only thing to keep it away.

My pdoc never said anything about the rash but my medical doctor said this wasn't, however since the pdoc didn't say anything I made sure to look up anything and everything since. It also with the ad pushed me WAY too manic.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:15 AM

1,328 posts, read 2,002,499 times
I have a family member on it. She's had great success with it. The skin thing is happens to such a small population and the upside of taking it is great. I say try it. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health