U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2014, 10:38 AM

11,616 posts, read 6,352,713 times

Advertisements

I have one friend who is off at a balloon fest, another off to teach a workshop, a third off to dance practice.

Me, I just got done with the brisket, slicing it up, putting it in the freezer. 90 minutes or so of focused activity with the mind free to ponder situations (such as what would a man think to open up my ice box and see it stuffed with beef and fish).

What do you do on a free day to calm the mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 12:34 PM

4 posts, read 5,528 times
Depending on my mood, I'll either get up early or sleep in for an few extra hours. Once I'm up, I'll usually grab a cup of coffee from Royal Farms or a latte from the local independent coffee shop, and then pick up some art supplies from Michaels, A.C. Moore or Hobby Lobby. Then I'll head to the library to work on some assignments, or just browse the internet for a couple hours. I'll likely make it to the gym for an hour at some point before it closes at 7:30 p.m. Once it's dark, I'll head to a friend's house to hang out, or if I'm not feeling social, then I'll just catch a buzz and veg on the couch by myself.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:11 PM

4,949 posts, read 4,422,743 times
Today is a pretty typical day.

I slept in for an hour, then got up and fed the cats. Then I sat down on the couch with the morning news and my laptop. Dozed off. Woke up about 45 minutes later and made myself some coffee. Surfed the 'net. Then got dressed and took the dog for a nice 4.5 mile walk. Had lunch. Mowed the lawn. Dug up part of the garden. Am now surfing the net some more. After a brief rest, I will do some more yard work and potentially some house work, although I much prefer the yard work. Tonight, I will make myself some dinner, probably clean my kitchen thoroughly, do some laundry. Then surf some more internet while the TV is on and head to bed. Rinse and repeat, for the most part, tomorrow.

Old 09-20-2014, 03:40 PM

5,185 posts, read 3,857,647 times
The 1st two responses suggest well-balanced individuals without mental health issues.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:39 AM

4 posts, read 5,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
The 1st two responses suggest well-balanced individuals without mental health issues.
That made me laugh. I suppose I do a good job with keeping it together, at least externally. However, internally speaking, I feel quite marginalized because of my sexual orientation.

Gay people, particularly males, weren't socialized the same way straight people were. Straight people date, get married, then produce children (most of them). Gay people are forgotten about and ostracized, which is why I personally believe that we have a more difficult time adjusting to life. There's no real emphasis on dating and eventually finding a partner, which, IMO, explains why most gay men are hypersexual. It's all about hooking up, and the same holds true even for older males. Also, do a web search for "heterosexual privilege" to learn more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or