U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 04:18 AM

22 posts, read 22,970 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I'm so sorry it took me so long to reply to y'all. I had forgot the name of this site and of course my login info(short term memory loss). Nathan stopped taking the Ritalin- he hated how it made him feel. He was on Vyvanse, but he stopped taking it over this past summer, he just now is wanting to take it again to try to keep up with all his classes this year in High School. He's doing so much better with his anxiety. He can go to his friends' houses by himself, and has turned independent, and I have so few fears about him now. Thank you all for all of your care and concern, and your advice was the best! One of his last fears he had was a little humorous to me lol especially after his over the top fear of me dying while he was at school. He was so afraid of never reaching puberty, and if he ever did- he was afraid of being short lol I am 5ft 8in. His father is 5ft10in. His doctor was teasing him and told him he'd be lucky if he made it to 5ft 9 inches, he left his office in tears. I told him that his doctor didn't know everything, and for him to be patient. Today he is 5ft 11inches lol and still growing! He's a much happier child, without all his irrational fears, and I never over reacted to him- thanks to all of you helping me back then. He is so confident now and such a joy to be around. I definitely don't feel like a failure now lol He's not even my first child, but my older son was too easy I guess. I recommend anyone struggling with any parental issues, to come to this site, and post your concerns. You will soon see how many people truly care, and what valuable advice you get from other parents who have been through similar experiences with their kids. Again- thank you so much! Now, I need help with my marriage lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 11:32 AM

624 posts, read 297,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Couple that with good nutrition. Stimulants can only make things worse, like caffeine, sugar, refined carbs etc so I'd suggest eliminating them. Then add brain foods like raw cashews, other nuts, chelated magnesium, omega three fish oils (and fish), unsaturated vegetable oils, raw veggies, whole grains and seeds and so on. Make it a multi pronged approach. Stimulating exercise also helps. Researchers are saying that massage helps.
That's what started to notice..i suffer from Adhd and aniexty and since i have been eating clean food my symptoms started changing for the better

Old 09-24-2016, 12:55 PM

26,950 posts, read 10,227,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Ritalin is a dopamine and norepinephrine stimulant (at least it acts on those receptors). That would be why it calms ADHD kids - it 'wakes' up the under active areas of the brain or 'balances' the neurotransmitters. One of the side effects of Ritalin is anxiety. Another is depression. My son became zombie like on Ritalin. Managable in the classroom, sure but not an improvement really.

I have seen an improvement in my anxiety and depression since taking a digestive enzyme mix. I simultaneously started taking L-Theanine which is suppose to boost GABA in the brain. So now I can't say which of the two brought about the improvement. But whichever it was (it may be a combination of several things), these are harmless treatments and don't cost the earth. I am sleeping better (still not getting enough quality sleep), and I'm handling my sons death better. I'm handling most things better and I seem to be more 'awake' and I've found myself having a little bit of humour.

In the past, if I forgot to take my meds in the evening I would have a bad day. Yesterday I slept normally and I coped normally even though I forgot my meds the night before. Coincidence? I'll see when I forget again.
There are so many calming supps vs taking that Ritalin drug. I worked in a private school and the children on Ritalin were little zombies. Very very sad to see these kids being drugged. One 10 yr old was taking prozac too...I felt so sorry for him and his MD father's push on the drugs.

My grandson who is soon 16 was always concerned about being tall enough and he's close to 6'2" now and probably still doing some growing. He plays vollyball and very high energy.

Both grandkids take grape seed ex for Immune System and I'm headed in my 21yrs taking this antioxidant.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:55 PM

11,380 posts, read 22,083,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
There are so many calming supps vs taking that Ritalin drug. I worked in a private school and the children on Ritalin were little zombies. Very very sad to see these kids being drugged. One 10 yr old was taking prozac too...I felt so sorry for him and his MD father's push on the drugs.

My grandson who is soon 16 was always concerned about being tall enough and he's close to 6'2" now and probably still doing some growing. He plays vollyball and very high energy.

Both grandkids take grape seed ex for Immune System and I'm headed in my 21yrs taking this antioxidant.
It's generally a really difficult decision to give a child meds for psychiatric problems. I know a lot of parents (in a support group I belong to) who are having to make choices like that, and one of their concerns is how people judge them for having to medicate their kids. My husband is opposed to medicating our kids and we're trying to treat their OCD with supplements...sometimes I just want to scream at him that we can't do it his way because it's not working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health