U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2014, 12:38 AM

11,466 posts, read 6,251,178 times

Advertisements

Been a lot of stress this week, been able to handle some of it better than others. Why?

Came into work tonight and there were many messages of "things have changed, but use the old way which you know to make it work" when that old way is years in the past and not written down anywhere or "you need to put more detail in your reports" when we were never told to do such, barely told how to use the system. As is, I'm left to scream to the Gods and hope it doesn't come up at eval time.

Some of the stress happened in stride, happened while I was engaging on something. I was able to exercise some control, maybe not directly on the stress, but was taking action, causing an effect, so in the midst of my activity, a "bow wave" was being generated and the stress was absorbed there or buffered in a way so it did not touch me either directly or if not that, then as much. This latter to me is "Dynamic Shielding".

Dynamic Shielding works to a degree, but it has at least two faults to it. The first is that everything has its limits. Secondly, Dynamic Shielding is probably related to Dynamic Scheduling where one goes from place to place getting things done and when there is nothing to be done, that is when one drops down for food and sleep and then starts again. A life without a schedule is not desirable. Being a current victim of the latter, I am wary to how much I use the former.

Equally, there is a way to handle the first example and that is disregarding the stress or distracting from it.....or, even worse, "sweeping it under the carpet". Probably in all situations, the stress does not get cured. If distracted or disregarded, it is still there to be reminded of, to bring back the stress. Perhaps not at the same level as initially, but it is still there. But for any immediate moment, it can be flattened.

Sweeping it under the carpet, however, puts it in an unknown place where it can fester.

I have a very powerful fantasy life and often, how I approach real life is often based on the guides I find in the former. I hope some of this approach might be useful to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health