U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2014, 09:27 PM

14,064 posts, read 14,575,419 times

Advertisements

My doctor prescribed me Zoloft in order to get me through a pretty rough period of my life - lots of deadlines, a lot of upheaval at home, financial worries, etc. I wasn't sleeping and was in a state of constant anxiety. I have severe ADD that I deal with fairly well without medication, but I have anxiety, OCD and depression issues that tend to feed on the ADD - they're kind of like the remoras to my ADD shark.

My doctor decided to treat the anxiety/OCD/depression issues with the Zoloft rather than putting me on something like Adderall because she thinks I have a lot of reasons to be stressed, anxious and depressed. She consulted with a psychiatrist before writing out the prescription, so it wasn't like she was shooting from the hip.

The good part is that I'm sleeping well, and I'm not in a state of constant anxiety. I'm really rational right now, which is cool. I LIKE being rational, and my anxiety issues can subvert my reason and drive me into a panic. I'm functioning better in general.

Overall, after a month of taking it, I like how I'm reacting to the Zoloft, but I have a few concerns. For one thing, I am still sleepier than I should be. It's BETTER than when I was not sleeping at all, but I feel like I should have more energy. I have not been able to implement the second part of my doctor's recommendations which were for regular, light exercise, so I'm wondering if that's part of it. But also, a nurse told me Zoloft can make you feel sleepy, but that the side effect eventually subsides. Has anyone experienced this?

The other issue is that I feel a bit distanced from my emotions. Not emotionless, but just a bit more removed than usual. I'm not exactly upset by this, but it does make me a little uneasy. Does that normalize eventually too? I'm not sure what the downside is if it doesn't normalize though - I don't feel as if my creativity is being hampered; I just feel less panicked and more methodical.

And finally, is there a downside to staying on the Zoloft if I'm happy with the effects in general? This was only supposed to be for a few months, but I feel calmer and less apt to think my world is ending. I'm not someone who is usually crippled by anxiety or OCD or depression, but sometimes they do sneak up on me. (Like in the months before I went to the doctor and was prescribed the Zoloft.) I feel like the Zoloft keeps them at bay, so I don't get derailed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 10:47 AM

45,269 posts, read 90,605,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
My doctor prescribed me Zoloft in order to get me through a pretty rough period of my life - lots of deadlines, a lot of upheaval at home, financial worries, etc. I wasn't sleeping and was in a state of constant anxiety. I have severe ADD that I deal with fairly well without medication, but I have anxiety, OCD and depression issues that tend to feed on the ADD - they're kind of like the remoras to my ADD shark.

My doctor decided to treat the anxiety/OCD/depression issues with the Zoloft rather than putting me on something like Adderall because she thinks I have a lot of reasons to be stressed, anxious and depressed. She consulted with a psychiatrist before writing out the prescription, so it wasn't like she was shooting from the hip.

The good part is that I'm sleeping well, and I'm not in a state of constant anxiety. I'm really rational right now, which is cool. I LIKE being rational, and my anxiety issues can subvert my reason and drive me into a panic. I'm functioning better in general.

Overall, after a month of taking it, I like how I'm reacting to the Zoloft, but I have a few concerns. For one thing, I am still sleepier than I should be. It's BETTER than when I was not sleeping at all, but I feel like I should have more energy. I have not been able to implement the second part of my doctor's recommendations which were for regular, light exercise, so I'm wondering if that's part of it. But also, a nurse told me Zoloft can make you feel sleepy, but that the side effect eventually subsides. Has anyone experienced this?

The other issue is that I feel a bit distanced from my emotions. Not emotionless, but just a bit more removed than usual. I'm not exactly upset by this, but it does make me a little uneasy. Does that normalize eventually too? I'm not sure what the downside is if it doesn't normalize though - I don't feel as if my creativity is being hampered; I just feel less panicked and more methodical.

And finally, is there a downside to staying on the Zoloft if I'm happy with the effects in general? This was only supposed to be for a few months, but I feel calmer and less apt to think my world is ending. I'm not someone who is usually crippled by anxiety or OCD or depression, but sometimes they do sneak up on me. (Like in the months before I went to the doctor and was prescribed the Zoloft.) I feel like the Zoloft keeps them at bay, so I don't get derailed.
So glad to hear you are feeling better and getting some relief with the zoloft!!

Many people have to wait 6 weeks or more to tell any improvement and you've seen some in 4, yay!

I know a few people who have been on Zoloft more than 10 years.

After a certain point these drugs aren't supposed to work as well, and ideally you'd only want to be on them 2-3 years at most, but in some cases people do need them longer.

I think you are ok for the foreseeable future and I wouldn't be concerned if you had to stay on the zoloft a year or so

Oh, and from what I know, your body does indeed adjust after a few months and the sleepiness gets better.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:37 PM

14,064 posts, read 14,575,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
So glad to hear you are feeling better and getting some relief with the zoloft!!

Many people have to wait 6 weeks or more to tell any improvement and you've seen some in 4, yay!

I know a few people who have been on Zoloft more than 10 years.

After a certain point these drugs aren't supposed to work as well, and ideally you'd only want to be on them 2-3 years at most, but in some cases people do need them longer.

I think you are ok for the foreseeable future and I wouldn't be concerned if you had to stay on the zoloft a year or so

Oh, and from what I know, your body does indeed adjust after a few months and the sleepiness gets better.
Thanks, LM!

I'd like to wean myself off of it eventually, but I feel pretty good overall. Now, the sleepiness is a problem as part of the reason I was taking it was because the anxiety was driving me into exhaustion, but I'm just napping a lot. Very thankful I work from home, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or