Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2014, 10:20 PM

42 posts, read 122,955 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is the right forum for this. I take Ativan as needed (maybe 2-3x a month) for panic and anxiety attacks. I see my psychiatrist regularly for medication and to talk. I'm gong on a long flight this week and I haven't been able to get a hold of her. Last time I saw her I asked if she could give me something that would help me sleep on the flight since I hate flying and can never sleep on airplanes so she gave me a prescription for Ambien for 1 time.

Aside from wanting to sleep most of the flight, I also have been having severe anxiety issues with all the terrorism that is going on in the world. I'm scared even more now to fly. Is it safe to take Ativan with Ambien or will it make things worse? Does having 1 glass of white one help me relax more or again does that make things worse?

Online I've heard it's okay to take both, or to only take Ativan. Or I get people saying to take over the counter meds to knock me out or Melentonin sp. (has no effect on me). Ativan does not make me drowsy or sleepy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 01:49 PM

183 posts, read 322,731 times
I have no personal experience with Ambien but I have heard plenty of anecdotal reports of people sleepwalking, driving, acting strange, freaking out, etc. when taking Ambien. I don't know if I would want to try it for the first time on an airplane. I would take the Ativan or wine instead and as much as I hate to say it you would probably be better off with combining the Ativan and a little wine than taking a chance with a first time use of Ambien in that situation, if for no other reason than that your body is at least acclimated to its use. I personally always need a few doses of something before my body adjusts to it. It is entirely possible that the Ambien would work great but I would say don't chance it in that situation. Hope this helps and good luck!

Old 09-30-2014, 02:59 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,498 times
I don't know much about Ativan. Don't drink alcohol with ambien. Take the ambien 10 minutes before you want to fall asleep with lots of water. It should put you out. I hate flying too but I've gotten better over the last couple of years

Old 09-30-2014, 04:15 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,954,427 times
I also have a fear of flying, and I have bipolar disorder, so I am totally get what you're going through. Since your psychiatrist gave you a prescription for both the Ambien and the Ativan, she knows you need both on occasion, and she's OK with you taking the Ambien on the airplane. My psychiatrist prescribes me Xanax for flying only. In fact, I just got off a 9 hour flight last week, and the Xanax helps me a great deal. I have also taken Ambien in the past without side effects, although it doesn't work the same for everyone, of course. Is there a psychiatrist who is filling in for her? Try to reach him/her if possible. Another alternative is to take one or the other and see how your anxiety is. I don't recommend combining alcohol with either of those drugs. Listening to soft music while on the plane can also help a lot.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:56 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,738,262 times
Do not combine the two. This can be very dangerous. If you can't get ahold of your doctor ask the pharmacist.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:48 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Do not combine the two. This can be very dangerous. If you can't get ahold of your doctor ask the pharmacist.
Thank you!

And I can't believe a doctor would give a person Ambien for the first time on a flight and not when they are at home in their own environment Ambien can be some scary stuff and you'd want someone you love and trust to be with you if you took it in a public place, geez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health