Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2014, 12:30 AM

3 posts, read 2,914 times

Advertisements

Hi there all...

I'm writing here with some hope that some of you can share your experiences and also maybe provide me with some useful tips on how to deal with anxiety. A brief history about ME... 5 yrs ago I was hijacked by 5 men who then took me hostage in their car for 3 hours. I was indeed very lucky to come out alive, they did not hurt me or even touch me. As the years went by I managed to deal with this traumatic event, but I became a very stressful person, always panicking and thinking that bad stuff is going to happen. 3 weeks ago a friend of mines committed suicide this is when it all began. At the funeral I felt very faint and dazed and almost fainted. Ever since then I seem to get the following symptoms: My head becomes heavy * almost as if someone is taking a band around my head and pulling it tightly, I feel as if I'm chocking and unable to breathe, I feel a funny sensation on my arms and legs, I get palpitations, I become confused and dazed and start hyperventilating as I think I'm going to die. I've been to a physician for a full check up and all is clear. Blood tests been done and all clear. Even saw a neurologist who only did an eeg and said there is nothing wrong and no need to do the mri. They all boiled it down to anxiety - was given Ativan and Epilim to use. I am trying very hard not to use these meds as I am aware of the side effects. However past few days the attacks have been so severe that out of desperation I take the Ativan which calms me down but the next day I feel sick as hell - extremely tired and dazed. What I don't understand is that the so called "attacks' hits me at any point - I could be having a good laugh and boom suddenly I feel the pressure in my head. I am seeing a psychologist who is trying to help me and recommended breathing exercise but I notice during the attacks - I cannot focus on breathing or trying to calm down. It takes a lot out of me. I am now frustrated and don't have the energy for this and wish to be back to my normal happy self.

Please Help ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 11:38 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
I'd check with a different psychologist....not all are created equal! Sounds like you need more than breathing exercises...you need to delve down and get to the root of why you can't get past this.... I mean, it's normal after a traumatic event to have fears, and even stress...but a good doctor can help you determine when your fears are rightly placed....right now, you're reacting way out of proportion to the situation.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:39 AM

Hey Cb at Sea, thanks a mill for your input. I will try another psychologist. Have you also exp anxiety???

Old 10-17-2014, 02:45 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
You would probably benefit more with a therapist who specializes in Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
The therapy techniques for that are different from what I understand.
I know nothing about it but have read a few things regarding the therapy and there are a few threads on this forum that it has been mentioned as well.

I hope you find someone soon that can help you overcome this and get back to a closer to normal place in your life.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:53 AM

@ CSD610 - U have no idea how I wish to be back to my normal self... this feeling really sucks
Wish me luck ...Thanks

Old 10-17-2014, 10:31 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,966,821 times
I've had anxiety all my life, but worse/chronic in the last 15 years. I've tried everything from prn xanax, SSRIs, CBT, lots of counseling, and daily Klonopin.

I have found that a small dose of Remeron daily helps keep my appetite sufficient to maintain my weight. 0.5 to 1.0 mg of klonopin at night helps me sleep and keeps me even throughout the day. Xanax is always available as needed, rarely. I also use a bit of omeprazole for an acid stomach during really stressful times, like right now when I just keep praying that I find a new job soon. My current boss has no idea about my job, keeps telling me how to do it "better", and changes her mind literally every 20 minutes. The worst is when she decides to help me and I end up spending days cleaning up the mess she makes, time I don't have to spare...When I am not really stressed I take my calcium supplements in the morning and that seems to keep the gurgling stomach silent. And when my gut is not feeling good it usually results in diarrhea which I control as needed with imodium

The worst parts of anxiety, for me, is that I have passed it on to my daughter (I can trace it back 4 generations, should've known better than to have kids) and the constant fatigue that I feel. I can sleep 12-15 hours at night and still feel fatigued. I want to wake up feeling energetic and looking forward to whatever the day brings. Mornings are the hardest time for me and even throughout the day, I just don't ever feel like the old me. The only way I can describe it is that I feel like there is a bubble that I live in that I cannot get out of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health