Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 11:35 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times

Advertisements

I have had one major stressful week this week--I'm a teacher and highly sensitive and when my kids hurt so do I. Also, I have to do a lot of sped paperwork and me and paperwork do not get along! I've been going in for at least a couple of more hours at night just so I can get some time to focus on it but having a hard time. I was racking my brain for more ways to deal with stress than I already was and remembered that I've heard lots of good things about the emotional freedom technique or EFT. Basically the theory is that your energy channels in your body get blocked and by tapping acupuncture meridians, you can get it flowing again and de-stress. Well it's free, easy, and can't hurt so I pulled up a video and did what they said and I swear I'm better. Yesterday I was so stressed when I came home that I couldn't take a full breath--it's like my chest had squeezed in tight. It takes like a minute or less to run thru the session and then it's like almost instant relief--and you can repeat as many times as you need to. I liked this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRq8o1MEUtU for teaching you how to do it, though it starts out titled "How to find the love you want," but in fact EFT is good for any emotional disturbance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 11:47 AM

2 posts, read 2,864 times
I have been using FasterEFT by Robert Smith. I have found it works best for me. I have SEEN improvements in my life; as a student, parent, friend, family member. it's like all other processes of change it takes time and we want a quick fix, so sometimes its a bit exhausting to just keep on tapping, but change does occur if you stick with it.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:17 PM

Well I'm going to keep it up. It's only been 2 days and already a noticeable difference. And today I said to hell with it and I"m going to have fun--tired of being chained to my desk and never getting it all done.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:46 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
This is fascinating stuff, thanks for posting

Old 10-05-2014, 10:21 PM

I've been tapping away today and wow--it does work. You feel stupid doing it at first but now I feel like I can take a full breath, which I hadn't been able to do all week. I'm happier and more calm. Yes, I'll keep this up and maybe I'll teach it to the kids. Can't hurt--can only help. The cool thing is that I can complain away while I'm tapping--you're supposed to and I like that b/c I don't feel like I'm being told to think happy thoughts when happy thoughts are the last thing on my mind. So, you're supposed to say an affirmation and it will go something like this: "Even though *I'm having this huge problem* I still completely love and accept myself." LIke I said, you feel kind of stupid, but I'm really getting into the huge problem part and laying it on thick lol and it's helping. And yes, you insert your own words, but that's the gist of how it goes.

Old 10-11-2014, 04:10 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Stepka, thank you for directing me to this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cserr000 View Post
I have been using FasterEFT by Robert Smith. I have found it works best for me. I have SEEN improvements in my life; as a student, parent, friend, family member. it's like all other processes of change it takes time and we want a quick fix, so sometimes its a bit exhausting to just keep on tapping, but change does occur if you stick with it.
I am also a fan of FasterEFT, cserr. I had used EFT years ago with some success, but find FasterEFT to be more effective and ... er ... faster. He's not anti-EFT, of course, but I find that his philosophy is more in line with my own, and his explanations for the changes he has made make good sense, imho.

I really appreciate Smith's Youtube channel with it's many free videos and soaked it all up over a period of months when I first found it. Really good stuff. Recently the videos have become more infomercials/testimonials but within the first 200 or so videos you can really get a good grasp on using the process for yourself. Not that I wouldn't love to work with a certified practitioner, but finances preclude that possibility.

I'm especially fascinated with their teams' success at the Rehab center in Hawaii. I hope that if they have consistently good results that are maintained over time that they will be able to introduce their methods to other centers, places of incarceration, etc.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:45 PM

Hey glad you found us Pieroo. I'm going to look into this faster EFT, though I must say the "slow" method is still pretty quick. It takes less than a minute to get your anxiety down a notch and I can't believe how much better my week has gone. They say this works very well with kids too, and I esp like it for that b/c it's not a medication.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:34 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Thanks for sharing I am considering EMDR.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,864 times
The best thing about EFT or FasterEFT is that it gives you back your control. I was tired of knowing something was wrong and feeling like I couldn't do anything about it. I take responsibility for my feelings and my triggers.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:23 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,205,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I've been tapping away today and wow--it does work. You feel stupid doing it at first but now I feel like I can take a full breath, which I hadn't been able to do all week. I'm happier and more calm. Yes, I'll keep this up and maybe I'll teach it to the kids. Can't hurt--can only help. The cool thing is that I can complain away while I'm tapping--you're supposed to and I like that b/c I don't feel like I'm being told to think happy thoughts when happy thoughts are the last thing on my mind. So, you're supposed to say an affirmation and it will go something like this: "Even though *I'm having this huge problem* I still completely love and accept myself." LIke I said, you feel kind of stupid, but I'm really getting into the huge problem part and laying it on thick lol and it's helping. And yes, you insert your own words, but that's the gist of how it goes.

I would have a problem with this being taught to my kids at school
new age stuff is not something everyone wants
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health