U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 07:35 AM

61,552 posts, read 58,673,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
How can the patient abuse the drug that was prescribed to them by a doctor? The doctor told them it was ok to use! You have to go to the doctor for refills!
And sometimes taking the drugs the doctor gave them as prescribed kills them. Heath Ledger ring a bell?

In that case, though, I think he had different drugs from different doctors and no notes were compared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 02:31 PM

3,118 posts, read 4,485,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
If used as prescribed, they will not become addicted.

And I do know how to read posts. You just don't get it.
Why you think someone would wonder how prescription drug abusers become addicted is beyond me. Why would someone ask that?

Old 10-10-2014, 04:00 PM

18,434 posts, read 30,364,213 times
Quote:
Why you think someone would wonder how prescription drug abusers become addicted is beyond me. Why would someone ask that?
Because they obviously become addicted by taking too much of it and wanting and needing that feeling again and again.

addiction
[uh-dik-shuh n] Spell Syllables
Examples Word Origin
noun
the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.

It is not that hard to figure out.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:38 PM

3,118 posts, read 4,485,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Because they obviously become addicted by taking too much of it and wanting and needing that feeling again and again.

addiction
[uh-dik-shuh n] Spell Syllables
Examples Word Origin
noun
the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.

It is not that hard to figure out.
Thats not what I was saying. Re-read my previous post.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:06 PM

271 posts, read 328,776 times
A) Most people who require chronic narcotics for pain will become dependent. When they stop, they may have a runny nose, insomnia, anxiety, and cramps for a couple days. Then they go on with their lives.

B) About 10-20% of people will begin craving more narcotics. This is addiction, and it is not the same as dependence. They will escalate the dose beyond what was prescribed. They had an inclination to do so before the prescription was given. Even those predisposed to addiction need pain relief. Physicians should discuss this and may require a contract of compliance to verify safe use with the limits set forth in the prescription.

In post #20 the OP indicated they are only interested in patients who use their drugs as prescribed. That sounds like the group in section A above.

The OP also appears concerned that doctors prescribe excessive quantities of narcotics. Boards of pharmacy dictate prescription limits that can be filled for different schedules of controlled substances. Perhaps the OP will get back with us after they petition the lawmakers who regulate controlled substances to make our laws more strict.

Narcotics are dangerous, but I doubt we can create a zero risk system. It actually works pretty well for most of those who need pain relief.

Finally, there are stories of how our drug laws interfered with those in need of pain relief. Those people will not be petitioning for stricter drug control.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:56 AM

5,697 posts, read 5,605,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
This is why pot should be legalized. To help many manage pain without being addicted to harder drugs.

oh good grief

Old 10-12-2014, 07:00 AM

5,697 posts, read 5,605,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
There are different kinds of people!

"Addictive types" (weak person) can and will become addicted to anything for any little old reason.

"Non-addictive types" (strong person) will not become addicted under any circumstances - is capable of stopping the use of substances which are addictive.

For example I am a non-addictive type, was given prescription pain killers for 6 months due to a painful injury. Then when all was healed, I just stopped taking the pain medicine (Vicodin). And I was glad to stop taking it because I prefer a normal clear mind.

LOL
let me tell you, an addict is a lot of things but weak is NOT one of them!!
go volunteer at a drug rehab
they will loose everything for a hit of their drug even their own life!! that is NOT being weak
that is being addicted!!!

Old 10-12-2014, 09:14 AM

4,636 posts, read 4,040,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Some people will suffer a severe injury and need to be on pain pills for weeks, I broke my ankle in three places and had surgery, I have a plate and seven screws now, during that time I was given 200 Vicodin and 60 percocets, I did not get addicted but some people could have.
Absolutely they can and they do and I do not believe that it is a matter of a weak versus a strong personality/constitution which decides which way it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Here is my understanding. Prescription drugs became a problem for someone I know who was shot 3x in Iraq, and needed several surgeries and rehab. The balancing act that happens is, you can't heal or rehabilitate if you are in pain, so pain relief is important and necessary. When you take narcotics, it changes your brain and causes you to think you need more to curb the same amount of pain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
You oversimplify. There are addictive types, but it is not a question of weakness or strength, it is a case of genetic predisposition.
Thank you gentlearts for this very astute and correct observation! I have a dear family member who is middle aged and had an accident with a severe back injury. After going to the Dr. and getting a prescription and taking as prescribed he noted that he was still in excruciating pain and had difficulty in walking upright. He returned to his Dr., hunched over and visibly walking with acute pain and sought his Dr.'s advice on what to do next (surgery and rehabilitation therapy was out of the question because he had no medical insurance).

The Dr. prescribed more of the same pain prescription. After he finished the second prescription he decided he needed a better plan because he noticed that he had become very irritable, he could not sleep at night, his hands and feet were swollen to the point he could not comfortably put on his shoes and he just felt 'sick' all the time. What did the Dr. do? Prescribed more of the same...another prescription for pain killers.

Finally one evening after his Dr.'s office was closed, this gentleman ended up in the ER and retold his medical dilemma to the ER doctor, who, in his wisdom and ethical obligation advised him that he was addicted and would not heal and get better until he got off the Rx for pain killers. He also told him that he was in for a long hard ride in getting off the Rx and referred him to Narcotics Anonymous.

That was several years ago, he is of Pain Rx and attends his meeting every single week (and then some). FYI, the ER Dr. asked him if he had any previous history with Rx for pain, he did not, he then asked him if his parents had any, they did not...but both of his parents were recovering alcoholics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip33 View Post
A) Most people who require chronic narcotics for pain will become dependent. When they stop, they may have a runny nose, insomnia, anxiety, and cramps for a couple days. Then they go on with their lives.
In addition to the runny nose, etc., they may also still be in pain as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
LOLlet me tell you, an addict is a lot of things but weak is NOT one of them!! go volunteer at a drug rehab they will loose everything for a hit of their drug even their own life!! that is NOT being weak that is being addicted!!!
Well said!

Old 10-12-2014, 09:40 AM

4,761 posts, read 11,728,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
LOL
let me tell you, an addict is a lot of things but weak is NOT one of them!!
go volunteer at a drug rehab
they will loose everything for a hit of their drug even their own life!! that is NOT being weak
that is being addicted!!!
Weak minded. A strong minded person has the will power to quit an addiction - or to not get addicted in the first place.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:15 AM

7,209 posts, read 4,008,000 times
Quote:
Well once again, I was not referring to patients who abuse the drugs and doctor hop. And once again, I was referring to patients who use he drugs as prescribed. ONCE AGAIN.
The Oxycodone label said "take as needed for pain". Yes, my husband was given 2 a day 10 day supply. He took 2 pills a day which was the max daily amount he was supposed to take. Does the "as needed" mean that you MUST take every single pill in the entire bottle? You cannot take less than the amount? Maybe after a couple of days, try NOT taking daily amount to see if you pain has stopped? How will you even know if you still have pain until you stop taking it? This is not like antibiotic which you must finish entirely to clear up the infection.

I suppose this goes with the patient mentallity that if doctor says this, he knows better than I do. I must do what he tells me to do. Well, maybe a little common sense with that one. I was given CIPRO once. Doctor said to finish all the pills. After two days, I had ringing in my ears and was seeing double. Keep taking all of them because doctor said so? Excuse me, but I was having an adverse reaction. Did I need doctor to tell me that? Stop taking, THEN call the doctor, and tell him. My husband yelled at me for stopping the pills. Is ringing in your ears and double vision NORMAL? As it turned out, the doctor did not call me back for 12 hours. Keep taking the pills? Guess what doctor said? You have stopped taking them, haven't you? He gave me a script for a different antibioltic. As it was, it took almost a month for my vision to get better.

People have to use some common sense. A doctor cannot know your reaction or how you are feeling unless you yourself TELL them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health