U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 09:50 PM

18,968 posts, read 22,725,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
I live in Florida, the "pill mill" capitol. You would be amazed at the number of senior addicts we have here, they doctor shop and even buy the pain killers on the street. Their systems do not assimilate the drugs at the same rate as a younger person and many fall, pass out and end up in the hospital over and over again. It is sad, and they just don't understand that they have become addicts, their answer is "Well my doctor wrote a prescription" so it is what I need. Many seniors in their 70's, 80's, don't even question their doctors, they believe and do whatever they say...strange to me.
I work in a LTC/Rehab facility and I'm always surprised at those that never question a Dr.'s advice/orders. One woman cornered a nurse one night: "Before I came in here, I was only taking 3 meds, now I'm taking 15! Could you explain this to me?" And that's a nurse's worst nightmare, the questioning ones! Come to find out, there were any number of meds that should have been discontinued, and weren't, and if not questioned, how long would this have gone on unquestioned?

I've seen too many seniors come in with hip/knee replacements, finally getting the sweet taste of pain meds, and as the saying goes: drug addiction knows no age limits!

What really baffles me is I've been prescribed paid meds and did nothing to relieve the pain! With percocets though, they did put me to sleep almost instantly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 12:30 PM

3 posts, read 2,199 times
Pain meds (opiates in my case) are what introduced me to drugs. I think that's the case for a lot of people. I had drank alcohol and smoked weed, but never had done any "hard" drugs or ever really considered it. I, like a lot of people, needed pain meds for a week or so (wisdom teeth) and got a month's supply. After taking them a few times, it was like drug enlightenment or something, I saw what all the fuss was about. I also think getting them at CVS instead of skid row helped me justify taking them. In summary, some people are just addicts. It lays dormant until it's awoken, and for a lot of people it's awoken with pain meds.

It's becoming a pretty serious problem. There are many articles discussing it:
Drug Alcohol Treatment Center Orange County: 19 Percent of Americans Suffer from Chronic Pain

According to this Americans consume 80% of the world's opiate supply. Pretty scary really.

They're starting to address the issue of being prescribed too may painkillers. A lot of pharmacies are starting programs to take back unused prescription pills.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/09/he...cies.html?_r=0

As of now, I don't think you get a pro-rated refund, but it's being discussed. They're just trying to avoid the pills setting around the house and someone's teenage kid takin. them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health