Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 09:19 AM

10,233 posts, read 6,319,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, some people are more prone to addiction than others. I had a housemate who was undergoing cancer treatment. At her first appointment, her doctor gave her a prescription for 100 percocets. Although she was an alcoholic, sober at the time, she had no desire to take the painkillers unless she had real pain.

She told me to use them if I wanted them, and I did. Every night after work for a week, I'd take a percocet and go outside and work until I dug out a big old tree stump and its many long roots from the garden in front of the house. I was able to do it on the percocets because I felt no stiffness or pain. But when I was finished, I didn't keep taking them.
You nailed it. I could have taken that script the dentist gave me, filled it, not used it, and given (or sold) it to other people. No, not taking it to rip it up and throw in the trash. Giving it to others is unethical and probably not safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 09:42 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,359,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Giving it to others is unethical and probably not safe.
Would it be illegal too?

Old 10-09-2014, 10:38 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
My post was regarding patients who only get medications from their doctor and use as prescribed. I thought I made that clear. I mentioned nowhere them doctor shopping or getting them from the street corner. These are things they do after they are addicted. I specifically said getting addicted in the first place.
Well, that's fine, but just like I said, it is on the patient, not the dr.

When the patient abuses the drug, they get addicted.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Would it be illegal too?
Absolutely.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:03 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Well, that's fine, but just like I said, it is on the patient, not the dr.

When the patient abuses the drug, they get addicted.
How can the patient abuse the drug that was prescribed to them by a doctor? The doctor told them it was ok to use! You have to go to the doctor for refills!

Old 10-09-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
How can the patient abuse the drug that was prescribed to them by a doctor? The doctor told them it was ok to use! You have to go to the doctor for refills!
Are you serious with this?

Here we go. This is from a Hydrocod/APAP/5/325

Take one tablet up to twice a day as needed for pain.

I was given 20 tablets.

You abuse the drug when you take more than 2 per day. I was given just enough for ten days if I took the full two per day.

Patients who are addicts will go to more than one doctor, more than one emergency room, etc. It is not hard to get the medication.

It is in no way the doctors fault. The patient abuses the drug when they take it not as prescribed.

I am not sure how you can not understand this.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:

I was given 20 tablets.

You abuse the drug when you take more than 2 per day. I was given just enough for ten days if I took the full two per day.

Patients who are addicts will go to more than one doctor, more than one emergency room, etc. It is not hard to get the medication.

It is in no way the doctors fault. The patient abuses the drug when they take it not as prescribed.

Well once again, I was not referring to patients who abuse the drugs and doctor hop. And once again, I was referring to patients who use he drugs as prescribed. ONCE AGAIN.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:

I was given 20 tablets.

Well once again, I was not referring to patients who abuse the drugs and doctor hop. And once again, I was referring to patients who use he drugs as prescribed. ONCE AGAIN.

Just admit you don't know how to read posts and move on please.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:08 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
This is why pot should be legalized. To help many manage pain without being addicted to harder drugs.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
If used as prescribed, they will not become addicted.

And I do know how to read posts. You just don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health