Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 09:32 PM

689 posts, read 708,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I do or I did.

I've written on Internet web sites, but the group I was with went inactive about 2 years ago.

I've written stories for web sites too. The one I had the most "Adventures" posted on went down. It was called Digihitch.com, a web site devoted to Hobos, Hitchhikers, and Runaways. There are a few of my stories still circulating around though. Here's a link to one of them:

Storm Chase Adventures [Archive] - The Great American RoadTrip Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 09:55 PM

23,540 posts, read 13,766,234 times
Actually found one of my stories.....done 18 years ago. MY! How Time flies!

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...sy/HuKh47RjzBQ

As it was, it was early in my cooperative internet writing, where each person writes a section and the others move on from there. Sort of like Improv acting, now that I think/know of it. Anyhow, it was an early time and I was very abrasive due to a misunderstanding on both sides. The group took my writing ability as proof that I didn't need training in interactive writing/playing, but I was writing as an author who didn't like her stories messed with. Further, I was writing, playing a very powerful but isolated character, a misfit, and that probably didn't help either.

It's a terrible thing to admit, but I was probably the cause of SFED coming to an end.

Interactive net writing can be difficult. I had another Trek universe character, a very yummy Orion, and one senior writer, the Captain, wanted me to write parts where he and she were dancing seductively. I patiently, repeatedly explained to him that such was not the character but he persisted and I refused. There were rumors that he was going to move "the ship" to a different writing group and one day, I found the ship gone with no forwarding address. I had been written out.

Ah, well. A and B.......and then C

A: Writing wise, it is interesting to see how one's characters develop over time. Even if they are no longer being written for the enjoyment of others, they live on in us.

B: Writing for me, in a journal or on the Net, is my healthy expression. I think I have written 26 pages in my diary alone this weekend (going to have a lot of picture page work for me to do).

..................and C. When I write in my diary, I constantly tell myself that whenever I feel like getting on the computer, spending hours idlying on the Net, I ought to turn to my diary and write there, instead.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:54 PM

That was a long read! It's uncommon to find females that are that into the original Star Trek. I'm not that good of a writer to do fiction or Sci-Fi. I have to write what I know which mainly is past experiences.

Since you like Trek so much, have you seen Star Trek Continues?

Star Trek Continues: Episodes

Old 11-25-2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Z View Post
.......Since you like Trek so much, have you seen Star Trek Continues?

Star Trek Continues: Episodes
No.....what network is it on?

Old 11-26-2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
No.....what network is it on?
No network, it's a Web Series, but it's quite well done. I posted the link in my post above. Did you click on it? There are three all new and completely original episodes of the original Star Trek you can watch online there. It has all the TOS characters, played by new cast.

The first episode has the best story line--but the acting is a bit off. By the second episode the acting is spot on, but I didn't care for the story line, too much "Women's Lib" crap in it. Everything about it is on their web site including some Vignettes which I haven't had time to watch yet.

Then there is also Star Trek: Renegades, which has produced a brand new all original Star Trek feature film! Their film has actors from ALL the Treks in various rolls. They have designed an all new star ship and their story lines are VERY good! It's also Online Only, but you can watch the entire movie on YouTube, or if you like, visit their web site and make a donation to receive a copy of it on DVD. Here is the movie link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFqA...8&html5=1&hd=1

You will find a link to their web site in the YouTube description.

Star Trek: Renegades is currently working on a second full-length feature film and they are trying to get CBS to revive the series.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Z View Post
No network, it's a Web Series, but it's quite well done. I posted the link in my post above. Did you click on it? There are three all new and completely original episodes of the original Star Trek you can watch online there. It has all the TOS characters, played by new cast.

The first episode has the best story line--but the acting is a bit off. By the second episode the acting is spot on, but I didn't care for the story line, too much "Women's Lib" crap in it. Everything about it is on their web site including some Vignettes which I haven't had time to watch yet.

Then there is also Star Trek: Renegades, which has produced a brand new all original Star Trek feature film! Their film has actors from ALL the Treks in various rolls. They have designed an all new star ship and their story lines are VERY good! It's also Online Only, but you can watch the entire movie on YouTube, or if you like, visit their web site and make a donation to receive a copy of it on DVD. Here is the movie link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFqA...8&html5=1&hd=1

You will find a link to their web site in the YouTube description.

Star Trek: Renegades is currently working on a second full-length feature film and they are trying to get CBS to revive the series.
I did click the link but thinking it was on a network, I didn't understand the website.

On Renegades for a moment. I tend to skip stories like that. "Everyone" it seems is hooked on Firefly, wants their own version of something like that, wants to play the military game without being military. Long story short, there is just a very uncomfortable feel to that to me.

I'll give "Continues" a a look but I'm afraid it has a deck or two or three stacked against it. A and B and......C

A: One thing that people have to understand is that the original show was done at a time before Kissinger and jet plane diplomacy. Anything happens out on the frontier, the ambassador (in reality)/Kirk is on his own and takes care of it. But TNG is Kissinger and afterwards. Anything happens and they jet/warp out the SECSTATE/Admiral to take charge. The catch to this is that do the modern writers understand this meaning, coming from a time when they may only know jet plane diplomacy?

B: Secondly, the attitudes of the 60's were far different than those of now, both direct and indirect. I'm currently watching 1st season Bewitched and the show would never fly today with Darrin's attitudes of back then.....but those were the attitudes accepted back then. Can such attitudes which may have been in Trek then exist now and can a show of then exist without such attitudes?

C: Finally, one has to understand what it meant to grow up in a Star Trek desert, the time between the series cancellation and the start of the movies. We were starving for anything we could grab our hands on (probably why TAS went over so well (though I didn't see much of it)). Every James Blish book that came out, we gobbled up. The New Voyages were treasured. Bantam Books was our savior. We were living what we could never have.

This series, however, comes from a world that is flooded with Trek, from books that come from a dozen different angles to multiple follow on series to now a world where there have been at least 4 people who have played Kirk.

So which eye do we look at it with? With the one of 1975 (when I first got to see the entire series, pretty much uncut) and the appreciation of what being in 1975 meant, through and through? Or the one of now?

Back to the topic. While I didn't keep a diary back then (up until 1990, it would have been very difficult), A, B, and C do reflect a diary type approach. Looking back, how did I see, feel about things then.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:11 AM

You should give Renegades a chance, it's not like Firefly, or any other Trek. It is basically catering to the Trek fans that were referred to by other Trek fans as "War Mongers." It has the most spectacular battle scene I've ever watched on any Trek.

If you think Bewitched wouldn't fly these days, try I Dream Of Jeannie. I actually make comments to my wife when watching an old Jeannie show: "Look at her. Why don't you act like that?" My wife hits me afterwards. Another good one is Marcus Welby, M.D. (the best doctor show ever). There you have doctors dating patients, and all kinds of other situations that would be considered "unprofessional" or "politically incorrect" today. So refreshing.

You do have a point on writers today. Gene Roddenberry was a very well read and versed writer. He grew up before Television, when reading books and listening to radio dramas were the main form of entertainment. Roddenberry was a decorated captain in the US Air Force and ran many rescue missions during WWII. He also held jobs as a Commercial Jet Pilot and Police Officer before becoming a Screen Writer. He was raised in a Southern Baptist Church environment then rejected all religions as an adult. He was a Futurist.

This presented a a very unique combination of resources to draw upon in the creation of Star Trek. He spent many hours writing scripts, then making rewrites at the last minute as they were producing the TV episodes. Bill Shatner also had a hand in it as many times he would be sitting in Roddenberry's office "acting out" all parts of scenes in scripts so Roddenberry could see how they'd actually work and make suggestions on Kirk's reaction in those situations.

I think this is why in the movies Kirk didn't work as well. The chemistry between Roddenberry and Shatner was gone, and Roddenberry didn't have total and complete control over production either.

I think the best way to look at Star Trek productions is through a Conservative Christian eye. Whether Roddenberry realized it or not, he had created a character that very much resembled a Christian Disciple--Really. Kirk had the most compassion and forgiving demeanor of any Star Trek characters after him. Picard was the most hardened of heart. Roddenberry's vision of planet Earth during Star Trek's time sounded very much like the Garden of Eden. By Picard's and all subsequent Trek eras corruption had crept into the Federation and morality had been replaced by alien religious mambo-jumbo.

I believe that's why Kirk is so hated these days, because he comes across as a Conservative Right-wing, independent, take-charge guy. He's a leader with morals. He didn't become a gigolo until the third season, but Roddenberry was a broken man by then. NBC had reneged it's promise for a prime-time Monday evening slot, putting Trek on Friday's instead. This, Roddenberry knew, was a death sentence. He mostly gave up writing and producing the episodes to subordinates, and the story lines show it. Kirk had a new girl every week, where he only had gotten three in the entire first two seasons combined prior to that.

Okay, enough of my ramble on Star Trek. I can't really comment any more on the diary topic because my diary was simply a narrative of the day's events. I kept one for a year when I was 17. I stopped basically because I ran out of space. The diary was given as a gift and only was a one-year book. It was hard to stop writing each night, and looking back I sure wished I had bought another kept going for another five years. At no time in my life did more changes or exciting events occur in my lifetime than between the ages of 17 and 22.

Last edited by Doctor Z; 11-27-2014 at 12:17 AM.. Reason: spelling corrections
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health