U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 04:21 PM

11,616 posts, read 6,352,713 times

Advertisements

Uggh, another Wednesday. Full shift of work and then half way through my off time, another class to teach.

The thing about working night shift is that you are never able to get on a schedule and year after the year, each invasion on your off time is seen as a major violation.

But today, before leaving, I idly picked up my current diary, glanced at its page to page picture index (each page has 3 or so pictures that reflect my thoughts)..........

......and in that few instances of glancing, not only was I recharged, but the balance suddenly shifted slightly enough to feel on the positive side of things. Then, not only was I inspired, but could feel things as being younger, perhaps even a glimpse of the great adventure life ahead of me held.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 06:53 AM

As I finish another diary volume (one post the one alluded to above), I flip through the photo pages to identify the thoughts associated with each image. Ie, like

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...get_a_life.jpg

ought to be pretty clear about its meaning while

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-K...h_in_crime.jpg

is symbolic about all the things that interfere with my life.

A glance once more before this volume goes on the shelf.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:03 PM

654 posts, read 530,386 times
So....what was the question?

Old 11-20-2014, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Z View Post
So....what was the question?
More of an example as one way to healthy mental health.

Long story short, I've found having a very powerful fantasy life is a great assist to dealing with the pressures of the world. Having a diary done such as mine enables to briefly enter into that fantasy world with perhaps a near full involvement............but it doesn't detract that much from reality because it's only a couple of seconds.

Since it is highly personalized, I'm matching with it on a one to one basis......because, after all, it is me.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
More of an example as one way to healthy mental health.

Long story short, I've found having a very powerful fantasy life is a great assist to dealing with the pressures of the world. Having a diary done such as mine enables to briefly enter into that fantasy world with perhaps a near full involvement............but it doesn't detract that much from reality because it's only a couple of seconds.

Since it is highly personalized, I'm matching with it on a one to one basis......because, after all, it is me.
I've kept a diary before, and I've also read a couple handed down by my antecedents for genealogy research; but I have to say they were all written in reality of the day's events.

As a child I had a very rich fantasy life, and I do enjoy telling stories of my life's experiences too. Alas my fantasies these days are confined to favorite TV shows or movies I've seen. I can recall scenes from shows over and over again for several hours to remove myself from a boring situation at work, etc.

For example, one of my favorites is from the old TV show The Six Million Dollar Man, where Steve Austin meets Sasquatch (Big Foot) for the first time.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:41 AM

Quote:
I've kept a diary before, and I've also read a couple handed down by my antecedents for genealogy research; but I have to say they were all written in reality of the day's events.

As a child I had a very rich fantasy life, and I do enjoy telling stories of my life's experiences too. Alas my fantasies these days are confined to favorite TV shows or movies I've seen. I can recall scenes from shows over and over again for several hours to remove myself from a boring situation at work, etc.

For example, one of my favorites is from the old TV show The Six Million Dollar Man, where Steve Austin meets Sasquatch (Big Foot) for the first time.
Well, they are written in reality of the day's events.....if in abstract. That is, they are often written metaphorically and not literally. Hence, they are useful only to me.

Ie, this entry, picked randomly from a previous diary.....but in a way, appropriate:

"...writing is the best thing to do. It allows me to let things run out their energy without adding more to it. It is neither sugar nor caffeine of bionics nor alcohol of fantasy.

Time, time, time. As I sit here at a corner of the dining room table, the corner with the bamboo curio stand, how long since I've been able to reach it, access it.

Only 2.5 years the mind says for that's when I got apartment #2, when Chipper came to me. But if so, then that means my calculations of the collapsed shelf are off.

Well, don't worry about it now for what is important is getting back there so I can get at it, know......"

It's the picture page, the index where the fantasy occurs. I read what I wrote and then imagine, find the picture that reflects that, preferably something from TV or the like.

So for that page, the three pictures were
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/4fQkeKEm9QQ/hqdefault.jpg
http://www.isoshado.org/9/centrale_0...0Timelash1.jpg
http://thefilmspectrum.com/wp-conten...icture-321.png

Hmmmmm, looking at what I wrote that day, I might have used this
http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/Ac...651023-133.jpg
instead for one of the pics; I guess I just wasn't thinking that way at that moment.

Two things about the pictures, though. They are instrumental off an impression of what I wrote and a memory from where the picture is from. Secondly, they may not match the source picture exactly. One has to take what one can get.

Hence,
https://yuq.me/users/18/703/mFyaZox0Oj.png
refers to a concept in that movie but it isn't shown in that scene.

Three things about the picture index system. First, it enables me a faster way to find what I was writing about that day than slowing down to read the words written. Secondly, I remember about that day based on the impression, the feeling the pictures give me, looking at them, remembering why I put them in for those notes. Third, in that moment of feeling, in those few brief moments of reality, I can move into another world and experience it something like a dream. Not "as long as a dream", but have the time distortion like a dream because it is in a realm without a time reference.

One other thing about the picture pages, a practical element in reality. Last night, I had to create a new account for work and hence, a new password. My passwords are usually situationally generated; what I saw, felt at the time of creation. In this case, I thumbed through the pages of a diary I had with me, found an image that struck me with a different feeling than the page written to it, and used that. Then for the file about details of that account, I posted the picture to remind me what the password was, not some wordy clue. To be able to figure out the password by the "clue", one has to know what I saw in the picture.

My diary............it's all about me!

Old 11-21-2014, 10:07 PM

I'm sure glad I don't have to decipher your diaries for genealogical research. Just reading the few examples and their corresponding pictures greatly fatigued my brain.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I'm sure glad I don't have to decipher your diaries for genealogical research. Just reading the few examples and their corresponding pictures greatly fatigued my brain.
Yes, future generations probably won't be able to figure it out at all.

A quick lesson, though. The Bangles picture is from a "Hazy Shade of Winter" which opens up with "Time, time, time......"

The UFO picture is from the episode "Timelash" where Straker and Lake have taken a drug to speed them up so to normal people, they would look like blurs.

The "Apollo 13" picture refers to Haise realizing his oxygen calculations are incorrect because he figured them for 2 for the LEM and not three.

As far as the Get Smart picture, well that can be referenced to

Get Smart 1X06 Washington 4, Indians 3 Pt.3/3 - YouTube
(start at 3:44).

As far as the "Hot Millions" picture, well, on that day, I found a lot of extra money, hence it refers to

"Hot Millions"-1968- Peter Ustinov, Maggie Smith (full movie) - YouTube
(start at 1:34:18).

I have a rather literature based mind.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I have a rather literature based mind.
Maybe you should consider writing novels.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Maybe you should consider writing novels.
I do or I did.

I wrote extensively as a teen and my early years in college. The thing is my greatest creative power comes when I'm relaxes like away from school. In the years after graduation, I have not found it that easy to reach that relaxed state.

I've written on Internet web sites, but the group I was with went inactive about 2 years ago.

Further, in my acting and dancing, I have been allowed, directly or indirectly, to play some of the characters I have created.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health