Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2014, 09:53 AM

676 posts, read 936,740 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here ever had ECT therapy. Electroconvulsive (spelling) Therapy. How did it go for you My husband is so severly depressed I didn't know if he would be a candidate. I wanted to hear from you all out there first. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 10:43 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
Has anyone here ever had ECT therapy. Electroconvulsive (spelling) Therapy. How did it go for you My husband is so severly depressed I didn't know if he would be a candidate. I wanted to hear from you all out there first. Thank you.
For some severely depressed people honey, it's the best thing they can do when nothing else has helped, especially when the person is actively suicidal.

Given what you've written about your husband I'm surprised his doctor hasn't recommended it yet.

I'm so sorry for how tough this must be on you both!

Old 10-06-2014, 06:05 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times
It seems to be very helpful (and more quickly than medication trials) for people with severe neurovegetative symptoms. Very helpful in older people, too.

Old 10-10-2014, 05:59 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
I agree with those above. I worked in the field and seen it work wonders. You will probably know by session 3 how it's going.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:38 AM

10 posts, read 49,082 times
My father is suffering from depression since the last 20 years. His depression became longer and deeper over time.
He choose for ect, in august 2013. Twice a week ect, for 4 months.
His condition is worse now than before the ect.
Because of memory loss, the little things he did enjoy are gone. He had to sell his sailing yacht, because he couldnt figure it out anymore. Playing games, memories, having a conversation with him, reading a book, watching tv, this is ALL gone.
It is hell for my mother who has to live with him, for us daughters it is heart breaking to watch.
His phobies are the worst ever, self esteem nill, he just sits in a chair in his own deep dark world.
He made me promise that I would make sure, that he would never have an other ect in his life.
It is NOT a miracle cure.

i talked to a lot of fellow ect ers during his stay at the psych ward, non of them was very positieve and they were scared to death all the time.
Wearing a diaper to the OR, hooked up to everything, constant an IV in his hand, and then not knowing how he would feel after it is all over, took a huge toll. 4months, twice a week, the same.
He realy became scared of everyhing and everbody.
Unfortunately there is no miracle therapy or medication for the severly depressed.
I am sure a few lucky ones will get cured, I wish it happens for my dad.

Good luck, I am afraid you will need lots of it and YOU have to be extreemly strong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health