U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 07:29 AM
Status: "Practice random acts of kindness and goodwill." (set 26 days ago)

19,622 posts, read 24,623,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1010Guy View Post
You will be happier if you get your mind off yourself and find ways to help other people. It is amazing how well this works. Do some charity work. Help your neighbor with something. You will be able to think of something.

Also, get outside as much as possible. Even in winter one can "bundle up" and go out in the cold. Being in nature is very healing.
SAD has nothing to do with "helping other people". It's a real disorder that is recognized by medical professionals. Going outside on a gloomy, cold and grey day does NOTHING for people with SAD.

Being in nature is healing. However, the freezing cold does nothing for those suffering with SAD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 08:06 AM

3,281 posts, read 4,983,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I am fine in late Fall early Winter. For me, the real trouble starts in the middle of January through March. UGGHHH! Those are the worst months!

This year I am going to spend a few weeks in Florida. Ideally, I'd like to live there part of the year.

Light therapy never helped me. I am going to try the vitamin D.

I'm already dreading February.
Do it! D3 is pretty cheap, so it's definitely worth a shot. I think the NOW brand is pretty good. It is what I use, anyway:

Amazon.com: NOW Foods Vitamin D3 5000 Iu, 240 Softgels,: Health & Personal Care

I totally agree with you about February. That's the worst month of the year for me.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:47 PM

6,322 posts, read 5,032,129 times
February is the worst for me too! But I'm REALLY sad today since I just learned daylight savings is THIS Sunday and I thought I had a whole other week!

Old 11-02-2014, 09:00 AM

3,606 posts, read 5,344,715 times
I have found D3 helps with aches and pains (was D deficient). Activity and seeing the sun is key. I go skiing a lot and enjoy the slow south-facing chair lift. Also like snowshoeing.

Sitting inside (especially on the computer) is the worst.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:29 PM

477 posts, read 565,861 times
Why does psychology have two disorders called SAD? Seasonal Affective, or Social Anxiety? It's very confusing sometimes.

I use a light box AND Vitamin D. Not sure if either work.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:37 PM

8,127 posts, read 5,025,068 times
I must D3 year-round to keep my blood levels up and I live in California, so I'm positive that those in colder, grayer climes should be taking it too. Whether it makes your mood better or not, I don't know, but you need it for better health.

Vitamin D also helped me with aches and pains, and with not getting sick nearly so often in the colder weather.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:37 PM

316 posts, read 355,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
For a long time, I have suffered from what is likely a mild to moderate form of seasonal affective disorder during this time of year, with some sadness/depression as we move from fall into winter. I have a rather strong dislike for winter, and as we head into it each fall it typically dampers my mood a lot. (Having a November birthday, then holiday drama with family between now and the new year doesn't help either). Some years are worse than others too, but so far this year I can tell I am starting to really feel it.

So I was wondering what others may do to help brighten their spirits. I have been searching for ways to try and put a more positive outlook on it to try and help it.
I live in southwestern PA, and can totally relate. I hate fall almost as much as winter. For me, November and December are the worst months usually. I also hate everything that coincides with the fall season. Football, hunting, Thanksgiving & Christmas.....I hate it all! I usually hit rock-bottom SAD coma mode right around Christmas, and then it's usually a very gradual climb out of the darkness for me after that. By late February / early March, I'm usually totally recovered, though last year was different due to the never-ending winter weather that we experienced here through the second week of April.

I use a multitude of coping tools. First and foremost, I make sure that I'm so chock full of vitamins that my urine looks like it's radioactive. Mega Men is my brand of choice, and I feel that it really does make a difference in the way that I feel. I also try to slam at least two 12 ounce V8's into my stomach on a daily basis. It tastes disgusting, but it gives me a lot of energy and really makes me feel a lot better during these months. My marijuana consumption goes through the roof during the winter, which helps me with sleep and anxiety. If all else fails and I just can't take it anymore, I'll pack a couple of suitcases and head to Myrtle Beach for a few weeks, where I can rent a snowbird condo for around a grand for an entire month. I call that the "12 hour remedy" because it takes 12 hours to get there from my doorstep. By that time, 55 and sunny feels like a tropical oasis to me, and the whole experience is a total reboot to my system. Knocks the winter blues right out within about 48 hours of my arrival. Of course, I've got a job that permits me to live the life of a vagabond if I so choose. Not everyone has that luxury.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:03 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,925,806 times
I drink about a gallon of coffee every day. I believe this is the traditional method that scandinavian type people use to deal with SAD.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:10 AM

7,222 posts, read 4,014,630 times
Try Reverse SAD. Far, far worse. SUN and light are killers for us. Far more people have SAD and others can sympathize with that. Everybody likes sunshine and Summers, right? No. People think you are CRAZY if you cannot stand the Sun. Since childhood I hated Summers, but never really knew why, until a few years ago I started reading about Reverse SAD.

A least living anywhere up North, whichever SAD you have, it is not all year. You have your Spring and Summer, and I had my Fall and Winter. Want to know how I feel living in the SUNSHINE STATE where it's Summer all year???????? Move. Hey, maybe I can trade places with those of you with SAD who live up North? You can have Florida!

Old 11-13-2014, 04:53 PM

316 posts, read 355,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Hey, maybe I can trade places with those of you with SAD who live up North? You can have Florida!
No thanks. I tried Florida for a couple of winters. The weather wasn't worth everything else that comes along with being in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or