U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 09:41 AM

6,370 posts, read 6,029,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
For a long time, I have suffered from what is likely a mild to moderate form of seasonal affective disorder during this time of year, with some sadness/depression as we move from fall into winter. I have a rather strong dislike for winter, and as we head into it each fall it typically dampers my mood a lot. (Having a November birthday, then holiday drama with family between now and the new year doesn't help either). Some years are worse than others too, but so far this year I can tell I am starting to really feel it.

So I was wondering what others may do to help brighten their spirits. I have been searching for ways to try and put a more positive outlook on it to try and help it.
I tend to get SAD also. I know many recommended taking vitmain supplements. I would say try to get them from food (not fortified foods) but from whole foods that are high in vitamin D. I would also suggest you gone on a positive spree. What I mean by this is don't watch negative moving or sad moving or news events that are about depressing events or things that affect anxiety. My experience has shown me that when I have anxiety expecially around personal health issues, I see sunny days. This tells me that the Sun plays a direct role to me in combatting my anxiety - maybe due to the Vitamin D from the sun. I haven't tried the light therapy. Some of those may not work as only certain lights will produce D3 - type of vitamin D from the sun so you have to do some research - I believe you would want UVB lighting.

One of the greatest things that will lift your spirits here is to find ways to assist others. It could be to offer helpful advice (as I'm doing here with this post) or to find ways to lend a helping hand. Another great benefit it to amend old rivalries with others or forgive any grievances and drop any spitefullness from your character (not to say you have any). In other words - do better to others and it rewards you physically and in my experience it rewards you even greater when you do better to those that are at odds with you.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 02:17 PM

19,706 posts, read 24,825,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
Do it! D3 is pretty cheap, so it's definitely worth a shot. I think the NOW brand is pretty good. It is what I use, anyway:

Amazon.com: NOW Foods Vitamin D3 5000 Iu, 240 Softgels,: Health & Personal Care

I totally agree with you about February. That's the worst month of the year for me.
February is absolutely the worst month for me. I wish I could cut it of year.

I've started taking it. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Old 11-18-2014, 09:39 PM

10,215 posts, read 10,053,978 times
I have seasonal affective disorder. I've dealt with it in several ways.

1. I try to engage in some winter sports like skiing and snowmobiling.

2. In younger years, we made a point of doing one major trip to somewhere warm usually in January or February.

3. I now have a second home somewhere where its warmer, down south, and we usually go down there for some three day weekends during the height of winter.

4. I've also found that taking an afternoon off from work and spending a few hours once a month in a nearby hot springs can be a great lift.

For me, its a very gradual thing and I often do quite well until the Christmas holidays are over. Than, I realize that a long winter is ahead and January can be a very trying month for me. I don't like the cold, the snow, and the short days. Driving can be a challenge here in the mountains too. Many people just "hang out" at home, but I can get "cabin fever" doing that.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:20 PM

3 posts, read 3,485 times
I currently live in Ohio. This is the state I was born in but I actually grew up in Southern California. Other states I have lived in include Georgia (where I still have a home) and North Carolina. I hate snow. I moved to Ohio because my mother was dying of cancer and since many family members do still live in Ohio, we moved here to be near family. She died 2 years ago from colon cancer. Miss her a lot! But, depression is common in states and countries where not much sunlight occurs; especially during winter months. This is known as Seasonal Affective Disorder; also referred to as SAD. There is also a less common form of SAD known as summer depression. It begins in late spring or early summer and ends in fall.

There are different treatments; depending on the severity of the symptoms. Many doctors recommend that people who suffer from SAD get outside early in the morning to get more natural light. If you can't do this, antidepressants or light therapy may help. Eating healthier foods also help as well as exercising at least 5 days a week for at least 30 minutes. I prefer the natural methods. Many antidepressants have lots of side affects, but it is recommended to use if your SAD symptoms are sever along with the more natural methods as as phototherapy also referred to as light therapy. If you do use light therapy, try and get a lamp that generates 10,000 LUX lighting. Your doctor will tell you for how long to sit with your light therapy lamp to get the best results.

Old 01-05-2018, 04:54 PM

6,420 posts, read 1,709,013 times
I feel like I'm going through this right now. Depression, anger, irritability. When does it let up?

Old 01-05-2018, 08:12 PM

10,411 posts, read 4,692,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I feel like I'm going through this right now. Depression, anger, irritability. When does it let up?
Where do you live? If you are already using vitamin D and trying to be active outdoors, a SAD light can really help. The bright lighting has to be direct to the eyes, not just general room lighting. Depending on where you live the amount of natural sunlight you can get during winter varies a lot. It might not be much of a factor if you live in the southern tier of the US, but definitely a factor if you live a lot farther north. So, it would naturally let up once you can get full sun exposure for more of each day in spring and summer.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Where do you live? If you are already using vitamin D and trying to be active outdoors, a SAD light can really help. The bright lighting has to be direct to the eyes, not just general room lighting. Depending on where you live the amount of natural sunlight you can get during winter varies a lot. It might not be much of a factor if you live in the southern tier of the US, but definitely a factor if you live a lot farther north. So, it would naturally let up once you can get full sun exposure for more of each day in spring and summer.
Can you recommend a light? The cheapest on eBay are around $50 though those are probably the smallest and I don't know if they are any good.

I am in Minnesota

Old 01-13-2018, 12:24 PM

5,923 posts, read 5,654,390 times
I never had any luck with light therapy. I still have the box in my attic. Vitamin D does seem to make a difference.

Plus, I moved south. Best decision I ever made.

Old 01-13-2018, 01:13 PM

10,411 posts, read 4,692,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Can you recommend a light? The cheapest on eBay are around $50 though those are probably the smallest and I don't know if they are any good.

I am in Minnesota
As I don't need one all I can responsibly do is mention some brands I've seen co-workers use. I do know that to be considered effective the light has to produce at least 10,000 lumens of primarily UV-free light, and that you would need to have it shine on your face for about 30 minutes per day, at a distance of around 14". Brands I've seen in the office are Happy Light and Carex. There are various light "temperatures" (bluer light versus warmer light tone) to consider but I don't know anything about all that. The $50 ebay light may not be worth it. Also, consider that a USED light may have worn bulbs, and that's where much of the expense is.

If it were me and I had not been diagnosed with SAD by an MD (SAD lighting is considered a medical device), before I invest in a light that might be effective for you, I would put new full spectrum bulbs where I spend the most time, up my vitamin D, exercise in the am, to see if those things help.

Old 01-13-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I never had any luck with light therapy. I still have the box in my attic. Vitamin D does seem to make a difference.

Plus, I moved south. Best decision I ever made.
That's nice and all but the vast majority of people don't have those luxuries. For example, most Canadians can't up and move to southern US. (For obvious and not obvious reasons.) Swedes in Sweden most likely majority can't move to Spain, etc etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or