Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 05:59 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times

Advertisements

For a long time, I have suffered from what is likely a mild to moderate form of seasonal affective disorder during this time of year, with some sadness/depression as we move from fall into winter. I have a rather strong dislike for winter, and as we head into it each fall it typically dampers my mood a lot. (Having a November birthday, then holiday drama with family between now and the new year doesn't help either). Some years are worse than others too, but so far this year I can tell I am starting to really feel it.

So I was wondering what others may do to help brighten their spirits. I have been searching for ways to try and put a more positive outlook on it to try and help it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 01:14 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,828 times
I make sure and take vitamin D3 (5000 IU) everyday. Previously my husband used some light therapy, but I'm not convinced it really did anything. I think the vitamin D has been more effective for him.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:52 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
Move south- say to Florida. The further south you you go, the longer the days will be in the winter.

Move south- away from snow storms and dark, gray days.

Move to where the vegetation can be brighter and greener year round.

Move to where it does not feel like a northern winter .

Remove yourself from family drama. Some people know how to keep toxic people out of their lives by not interacting with them. Some people are drawn to the drama. By physically removing yourself from it by moving far out of state, it may be helpful to your emotional health.

Keep lots of lights on in your house- don't keep rooms dark.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:55 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
That's what drove me out of Minnesota, wasn't the cold or snow, it was the clouds, SAD! And I never seemed to find a solution to it, perhaps I should have tried Vitamin D3, but it's doubtful if it would have done much good, looking up at those gray skies everyday!

I moved to a city with 300 days of full sunshine every day, but I still get depressed, at times, but at least I'm more happily depressed, not so suicidal!

You might want to try the Seattle forum where they have some threads on this topic!

Old 10-14-2014, 09:59 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
D3, that is worth a try. Late fall and winter annoy me. It seems to fit how I feel this time of year.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:23 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
For a long time, I have suffered from what is likely a mild to moderate form of seasonal affective disorder during this time of year, with some sadness/depression as we move from fall into winter. I have a rather strong dislike for winter, and as we head into it each fall it typically dampers my mood a lot. (Having a November birthday, then holiday drama with family between now and the new year doesn't help either). Some years are worse than others too, but so far this year I can tell I am starting to really feel it.

So I was wondering what others may do to help brighten their spirits. I have been searching for ways to try and put a more positive outlook on it to try and help it.
Light Box | Light Therapy For SAD | Alaska Northern Lights

Old 10-20-2014, 09:54 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post

I realized after last winter here in Michigan, that I suffer from SAD (funny how they cleverly created this name) and I go out of my way to engage in activities that make me happy! Also, I will be moving to California in the coming year or two so that I can live in a place where the weather is milder and the sunny skies are more regular that my home state.

Since you don't like the winters as well, have you given any thoughts to moving to another state that has no snow?

Old 10-23-2014, 05:32 PM

45 posts, read 62,108 times
You will be happier if you get your mind off yourself and find ways to help other people. It is amazing how well this works. Do some charity work. Help your neighbor with something. You will be able to think of something.

Also, get outside as much as possible. Even in winter one can "bundle up" and go out in the cold. Being in nature is very healing.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:38 AM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times
Total BS on the "bundle up" and go outside in my situation as the cold can bring me down almost as much as the lack of light.

Light boxes don't work for me either and hurt my eyes.

I thought I would be enable to escape this winter, but again, this is not possible to move from New England at this time.

I will be relying on vitamin D, tanning, and exercise but I really need SUN!!!

Old 10-30-2014, 07:24 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
D3, that is worth a try. Late fall and winter annoy me. It seems to fit how I feel this time of year.
I am fine in late Fall early Winter. For me, the real trouble starts in the middle of January through March. UGGHHH! Those are the worst months!

This year I am going to spend a few weeks in Florida. Ideally, I'd like to live there part of the year.

Light therapy never helped me. I am going to try the vitamin D.

I'm already dreading February.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health