U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2014, 08:23 AM

3,552 posts, read 4,549,125 times

Advertisements

I often find that I get riled up/lose my temper more than I should. I would say that the most common occurrence would be at work. It's not bad enough to the point that I've ever been "talked" to about it, singled out, etc., but I do notice it getting out of hand occasionally, and it's something I would find very beneficial to my career and health to be able to control.

I will add, that when I lose my temper at work (I don't go crazy, but there's the occasional swearing, raised voice, etc.) that the people involved are usually my equals, and can often understand why I am frustrated. I work in the construction industry, so it's not like some calm office setting and swearing and such is common.

So, has anyone found things that really help? I've read tons of articles and some things I find help, but many also seem unrelated.

If I find something that really gets to me, I typically go in my office and calm down and breathe, prior to bringing it to other people. I also try and write things down, so if I need to bring them to other people I can try and stick to the points.

I tend to worry more than i should about things as well, which can lead to the reactions coming out more. I know I shouldn't worry about things in which I cannot do anything about at that point, it's just something I struggle with. In another sense, it probably is helpful for me to be successful in my job, as I'm less likely to forget things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 04:03 AM

11,440 posts, read 6,234,117 times
I take it you are in Texas. Perhaps take up a marksmanship program at a range. The ability to calm the body (and hence the mind) so one can put rounds on target is a skill learned in marksmanship.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:52 AM

4,761 posts, read 11,741,839 times
The thing is to "let it out more!", not try to "hold it back".

It is like a pressure cooker. If a little steam is constantly let out, pressure is regulated. If the release mechanism is clogged, then pressure can build up and there will be a big explosion!

So perfectly OK to tell people how you feel. tell them you are angry or mad - ticked off about something. Just do it more often and there will be fewer big explosions!

Note I once was supervising a guy installing a form to pour concrete for a back door pad. I kept trying to tell him that it needed to slope OUTWARD away from the door, for when it rains, so the water will drain AWAY FROM THE DOOR!!!!! (Not slope toward the door as he had it! )

I had to argue with him about thins until he got it. I did lose my temper after about 5 minutes of this.... I wonder why?

Old 10-17-2014, 09:57 AM

35,107 posts, read 42,397,292 times
Find something outside of work to release some of the energy, go to the river and throw rocks, go work out, go for a run, continue the breathing that you already do, carry a squeeze ball with you and squeeze it when you start feeling the frustration and anger.

The list is a great idea (I've been a list maker for many years), it may also help to keep a written Journal just for yourself.
Either get a special notebook and pen to use or put it on the computer but use it to write out all of the frustrations of the day.
Write whatever comes to mind, don't hold back anything because this Journal is for yourself only and no one else to read.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:58 AM

35,107 posts, read 42,397,292 times
A few more things, St. John's Wort is good to balance your mood if you don't mind taking a supplement and if you like hot tea,
Valerian with a wee bit of honey or Chamomile are both quite soothing.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:27 PM

10,138 posts, read 14,714,565 times
I get upset. In sales management and reps go at it from time to time.

I try to pause 5 seconds before responding to a angry comment thrown at me.

I take a walk around the block.

Most importantly, I try not take myself or others around me so seriously, and now I just laugh at them sometimes.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:10 PM

607 posts, read 643,004 times
Good one per the pause....another option is to use a word as a trigger, something associated with good times in your past. Then just silently say the word, and daydream/blip out for 10 seconds. I use "Serenity" as the word and think of the beach. Everyone has their own "good/happy" place trigger word. Think of one and use it.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:16 AM

399 posts, read 580,602 times
I've never heard of a 'happpy trigger' before. I love it! I'm definitely going to try this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health