U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 02:57 AM

79 posts, read 65,868 times

Advertisements

I recently became aware that I have schizophrenia. Until recently, I thought my issues were caused by hallucinogen abuse, but realized that merely aggravated a condition that probably existed any way.

I have never "heard voices" or had any hallucinations of any kind.

I do have delusions, but they are not bizarre. I have persecutory delusions that people are judging me even when they are not around. I have grandiosity that I am superior to others at times. I have erotomanic delusions that any time a girl talks to me for even 2 seconds that she is interested in me.

I am high functioning. I plan on investing in real estate. I am very intellectual and can socialize. I plan on investing in bonds in the near future.

Are there any other high-functioning schizophrenics out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 04:42 AM

6,306 posts, read 4,743,485 times
It sounds like your symptoms are fairly easy to deal with and I hope they stay that way. Good luck with your investments! A lot of schizophrenics struggle with living every day, "normal" lives.

I imagine you were diagnosed by a doctor? Are you on medication? If not, I URGE you to since meds help tremendously. My brother wouldn't be here today if not for the medication he is on and will be on for the rest of his life.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:49 AM

Yes, by a doctor. No, I don't take meds. I took them for years and they did not help at all.

I am also bipolar. This technically makes me schizoaffective bipolar, but I prefer to look at them as two separate things.

Want to know another strange symptom? One time I gave up my possessions other than what I could fit into a bag and I marched around the state of Florida as if I were a part of some invisible military campaign. Lol. Bizarre behavior looking back on it.

Medication has never given me anything but side effects. Yes, I have seen schizophrenics in mental hospitals that have to be dragged out of their room just to take a shower every 2 weeks. I am glad I am not like that.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:17 PM

59 posts, read 57,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjohn1324 View Post
Yes, by a doctor. No, I don't take meds. I took them for years and they did not help at all.

I am also bipolar. This technically makes me schizoaffective bipolar, but I prefer to look at them as two separate things.

Want to know another strange symptom? One time I gave up my possessions other than what I could fit into a bag and I marched around the state of Florida as if I were a part of some invisible military campaign. Lol. Bizarre behavior looking back on it.

Medication has never given me anything but side effects. Yes, I have seen schizophrenics in mental hospitals that have to be dragged out of their room just to take a shower every 2 weeks. I am glad I am not like that.

Do you live in Florida? How did you get to Florida marching around the state of Florida?
So you shower? I just responded to a post about someone asking about dating someone bipolar and I just made a big defense about the Schizophrenia because of what the person posted. You should read it.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:00 PM

6,322 posts, read 5,073,209 times
There are MANY high functioning peeps living w schizophrenia. We don't see them/hear of them because it is such a stigma in society.

It used to be that even "depression" was a huge stigma. It is still a stigma, but less so.

It's sad what little the public knows about psychiatric disorders. A LOT of people still think schizophrenia means "multiple personality disorder. "

(Source: 10+ years working in the field, friends w a couple high functioning peeps living w schizophrenia.)

Old 10-22-2014, 06:44 PM

6,311 posts, read 5,136,406 times
My SIL is a high functioning schizophrenic. At age 58, she has a great life and manages just great. She does stay on meds. She and my brother made a decision not to have children early in their marriage because of the possibility of having a schiz effected child. For many years, every 5-7 years, she would have an episode that put her back in the hospital. But its been going well for a really long time. My SIL volunteers at a few of her favorite charities, and raises exotic birds, and manages her husband's business. I hope you find the same level of satisfaction in your life!

Old 10-23-2014, 06:40 PM

If she is high-functioning and happy, then why wouldn't her possible schizophrenic children be high-functioning and happy?

Old 10-24-2014, 03:23 AM

6,322 posts, read 5,073,209 times
I also have a lot of mental illness in my family and this is just one of the many reasons why I don't want kids. It's an unfair gamble to them.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:28 PM

59 posts, read 57,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
There are MANY high functioning peeps living w schizophrenia. We don't see them/hear of them because it is such a stigma in society.

It used to be that even "depression" was a huge stigma. It is still a stigma, but less so.

It's sad what little the public knows about psychiatric disorders. A LOT of people still think schizophrenia means "multiple personality disorder. "

(Source: 10+ years working in the field, friends w a couple high functioning peeps living w schizophrenia.)

I'm not shocked that you have friends that are functioning schizophrenics, I'm shocked that they have told you that they are schizophrenic. You must truly be someone they trust. Especially since paranoia is so common among being schizophrenic and or bi polar, it can come and go (the paranoia) depending on the episode etc, but I applaud you for that.

Anything mental is a stigma these days. We shouldn't fool ourselves into thinking that depression is so accepted, the reality of depression is that it was and always be a sign to people that they think they might be a little bit different. People with all sorts of diagnosed mental disorders experience depression, and as it's not only common and spoken of frequently from the live news to a tv show, it's one of the most common feelings and or symptoms to talk about to a doctor, friend or relative.

It is definitely something that is in the bad zone to a lot of people. They just won't admit that.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:40 PM

6,311 posts, read 5,136,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjohn1324 View Post
If she is high-functioning and happy, then why wouldn't her possible schizophrenic children be high-functioning and happy?
As a woman in her 50's, my SIL had a long journey and many issues before arriving at her present happy life. She could probably be a great parent to a child with schiz now, but during the years she was in the child-bearing stage, her own work of getting a handle on her illness wasn't complete and actually being a parent during that time may have hampered her ability to manage her life. She may or may not have been an effective parent during those years and she may or may not have been able to be the kind a resource a child needed. We'll never know. However she and my brother decided it wasn't fair to have bio children knowing there was an increased chance for their future children to be afflicted. They probably would have made the same decision for any heriditary health condition. That's how they feel about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or