U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 05:18 AM

15,524 posts, read 13,597,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Mine was really horrible for a long, long time which started out when I was in my middle school years. I literally became an introverted hermit other than attending schooling and work. I know some don't like hearing "playing the blame game". I believe it had a lot to do with my upbringing the way my parents raised me.. The way parents raise their children can have a positive or negative effect.

After a series of life events that has happened, I decided to do something about it even if it means being socially awkward. It sure beats being miserable. Having a GPS is a lifesaver, without it, I'd be stuck at home ALL the time. I'm much more social now than when I was in my teen years and 20's.

I STILL have a difficult time getting close to anyone. I prefer to keep people at an acquaintance level. I have people that may view me as a close friend but I don't feel that way with them
your so right in what you say about upbringing... because I was a shy child my mother would always say.... " no she cant do that shes shy" if I was in situations that embarrassed me.. when maybe I should have been encouraged a bit more.. but who knows...I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 02:36 AM

552 posts, read 754,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
Anxiety wears down on your gut and internal digestive track.

Your ability to cope over time becomes less efficient when noradrenaline overrides your capabilties to relax.

Maybe you can try meditation and perhaps some natural herbal supplements?

Sometimes, if you engage in anxiety provoking activities, your body will naturally learn how to tolerate and relax the more you expose yourself to the anxiety-provoking stimuli.

If you keep worrying, your fight or flight response goes haywire, and your anxiety grows stronger and stronger.

I'm not a doctor, but L-Theanine works, along with probiotics like Kamubucha (which will help to re-build your internal intestinal flora). Consume these before bedtime at night on an empty stomach.

You might also want to have your adrenals checked.

I like this brand of L-Theanine since it also has GABA, which promotes deep sleep and production of growth hormones (which we lose as we age). Can also help for PTSD.
Source Naturals

Anyone else have positive experience with L-theanine and probiotics for anxiety? I am extremely sensitive to supplements.....took ssri medication for years, and despite doing a very slow taper, my central nervous system is extremely sensitive to any type of supplement since the horrible experience of tapering the drug......have to be careful even with Epsom salt bath. A little magnesium goes a long way for me, sometimes I get even more anxious when I take it.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:22 AM

6,427 posts, read 3,248,569 times
Quote:
I'm not a doctor, but L-Theanine works,
Quote:
Anyone else have positive experience with L-theanine ...?
Yes - it works! It works for depression too.

Zinc, magnesium and B6 helps too.

Old 09-07-2017, 04:59 PM

1 posts, read 644 times
I think everyone is stressed in a new situation. Doesn't matter place or person. Man or animal. Its part of our evolution and the daily fight for survival. The problem is when the fear or stress goes above a certain degree and starts effecting our health and behaviour. There something has to be done. Not always a doctor can help. It starts from yourself. Everything mentioned above is true in my case. I can't sleep the night before starting a new job, visiting a new place or an important person. There my mouth will dry up, heart beat will be 90 to 100, stomach pain, confusion, brain fog and fear. This can go for a few minutes to few hours and sometimes the whole day. End of the day I am exhausted and trying my best to quit that situation the next morning. People who live it, know it, what it is. We are in Hell all that time. Thats it. But still we can't be in our comfort zone all our life. We have to come out and face crisis many times as it is part of survival. So how to deal with it? Well with my personal experience we need to find a middle way. Don't hide but don't expose yourself too much. If you are scared to go far places, don't go hundreds of miles suddenly because you have to. Just go to a place 50 kms from your home and come back in the evening in your day off. Take it easy and keep it easy. End of the day congratulate yourself. If you fear new people. Again do it slowly. Go to see a friend of your friend, you don't know. Don't go for 3-4 job interviews in 1 month because you are desperate. You will break down. Everything slowly. Take a U turn when ever you want. Don't force yourself. The brain will learn slowly. I am doing it this way and its working. I don't say I am a US Marine now and can land in any situation but I am much better than what I used to be. I think we are too sensitive and need to be a bit Thick Skinned. Thats it. Take it easy. If it works, let me know, if it doesn't, let me know because may be I can help you in some way. Not because I am better than you, because I was worse than you...��

Last edited by SundeepUK; 09-07-2017 at 05:11 PM..

Old 09-07-2017, 05:08 PM

27,091 posts, read 7,152,665 times
Definitely an introvert here....but that is a good thing, not problematic.

Social anxiety is common, some needing psych counseling, medications. I was helped significantly by both counseling and med.

Have you talked with a mental health professional?? Even just an evaluation appt might give you a true diagnosis and recommendations. FYI Psychologists do not prescribe medications...so maybe a discussion with your family MD and referral if needed...

Don't wait on this...you deserve to live the best life possible.

QUOTE=Wordsmith12;36945805]Let me preface this by saying I am introverted and that anxiety runs in the family.

Ever since I was little, I have dreaded unfamiliar stimuli and novel situations. I believe psychologists have coined the term "high reactive" to describe people like me.

Here are a few examples:
-Over the years, I couldn't sleep the night before the first day of school (and still have trouble doing so the night before the first day at a new job)
- I do whatever possible to avoid having to travel too far from home. I have this phobia about traveling alone and getting lost in a big city or unfamiliar town. I even feel uncomfortable about taking highways that lead me too far from the areas with which I'm most familiar.
- I had never even been on a plane before this year. I only traveled out of town because it was for my honeymoon. Because I was with my wife, it wasn't so bad.

I've noticed myself with frayed nerves of late because of all the stimulation in my life this year (wedding, buying a car, long search for a condo, personal and family issues, etc.) It's as if everything has assailed me at once.

I guess that up until the wedding I'd enjoyed a slower-paced life with fewer things to worry about. Now I just feel like a ball of nerves, always worrying about stuff, my leg or eye twitching like crazy.

Anyone else here a worry wart who suffers from anxiety and/or is introverted? How did or can you cope with it?[/quote]

Old 09-11-2017, 06:53 AM

13,576 posts, read 7,777,928 times
This is an old thread, but anxiety can be a debilitating issue for people and animals. My sweet dog had severe anxiety and is now much, much better after taking medication.

My rescue Sheltie had extreme anxiety when we first adopted her. We have a very quiet house with a regular routine, so there is very little external stress in our home. It took her a year after we brought her to our home to come out from hiding under our bed for the whole day. After she came out from under the bed consistently, she began to show her anxiety by pacing in circles in the living room for hours and chewing her fur and legs.

After almost a year of trying all behavior modification techniques with no results and continuing to see her suffer such anxiety, the vet put her on a daily dose of Prozac. This daily medication has cut her anxiety by 2/3. After a couple of months or so on Prozac, she was much less anxious, no more pacing and much less chewing on her fur, and now seems to actually enjoy some things in life like being petted and held....even by strangers as long as they are in our house. We accept she will always be somewhat anxious. She doesn't want new experiences and we've learned to respect her limitations. Anxiety is part of her genetics, but her DNA doesn't make her less lovable. We love her.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 09-11-2017 at 07:37 AM..

Old 03-13-2019, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 272 times
Sounds too familiar! Came across your inquiry as a result of my attempt to figure out “what is wrong with me?” Have always been an introvert and definitely lack self confidence, but mastered a facade where those around me thought different. After learning the hard way at the start of my former career, became obvious I had to present diffferently to succeed. My facade was crucial in the professional and corporate world. However, in recent months it is steadily becoming more difficult or even impossible to go anywhere unfamiliar when alone. I leave my home to accomplish ‘X, Y and Z’ but only get as far as sitting in car of the parking lot.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:33 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,042,051 times
Social anxiety can be devastating. I feel for you. Those triggers are common (weddings, family get togethers, travel, etc.), and of course that does not make them any less scary. I simply have choosen to limit my interactions now to those that are absolutely necessary (work, family I don't see very often, etc.). Some people try the opposite - increasing their interactions in hopes of improvement (sometimes along with therapy and meds). There is no right or wrong here, only what works for you. Zoloft helped me a lot, but made me too foggy-headed.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:46 AM

15,524 posts, read 13,597,342 times
Im not too bad if I know the layout of a building Im going to but if its new I tend to panic and get lost inside big office blocks or hospitals.. cant find my way around .. but Im not too bad once Ive been a few times and know where Im going.. I visit an old people home every day and hate having to ring the bell to have the door opened for me, same coming out.. I just dont like annoying people to run after me....

Old 03-20-2019, 09:24 AM

17,711 posts, read 15,685,541 times
I pop a xanax and am good to go. You should try it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or