U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 08:19 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,156,654 times

Advertisements

Let me preface this by saying I am introverted and that anxiety runs in the family.

Ever since I was little, I have dreaded unfamiliar stimuli and novel situations. I believe psychologists have coined the term "high reactive" to describe people like me.

Here are a few examples:
-Over the years, I couldn't sleep the night before the first day of school (and still have trouble doing so the night before the first day at a new job)
- I do whatever possible to avoid having to travel too far from home. I have this phobia about traveling alone and getting lost in a big city or unfamiliar town. I even feel uncomfortable about taking highways that lead me too far from the areas with which I'm most familiar.
- I had never even been on a plane before this year. I only traveled out of town because it was for my honeymoon. Because I was with my wife, it wasn't so bad.

I've noticed myself with frayed nerves of late because of all the stimulation in my life this year (wedding, buying a car, long search for a condo, personal and family issues, etc.) It's as if everything has assailed me at once.

I guess that up until the wedding I'd enjoyed a slower-paced life with fewer things to worry about. Now I just feel like a ball of nerves, always worrying about stuff, my leg or eye twitching like crazy.

Anyone else here a worry wart who suffers from anxiety and/or is introverted? How did or can you cope with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 09:55 AM

3,946 posts, read 4,371,529 times
Anxiety wears down on your gut and internal digestive track.

Your ability to cope over time becomes less efficient when noradrenaline overrides your capabilties to relax.

Maybe you can try meditation and perhaps some natural herbal supplements?

Sometimes, if you engage in anxiety provoking activities, your body will naturally learn how to tolerate and relax the more you expose yourself to the anxiety-provoking stimuli.

If you keep worrying, your fight or flight response goes haywire, and your anxiety grows stronger and stronger.

I'm not a doctor, but L-Theanine works, along with probiotics like Kamubucha (which will help to re-build your internal intestinal flora). Consume these before bedtime at night on an empty stomach.

You might also want to have your adrenals checked.

I like this brand of L-Theanine since it also has GABA, which promotes deep sleep and production of growth hormones (which we lose as we age). Can also help for PTSD.
Source Naturals

Old 10-20-2014, 10:05 AM

12,582 posts, read 14,259,859 times
Marriage will do that to you Brother.

Lol!!

When anxiety gets to you physically then you have to take action.

Everybody gets nervous about first days at school or work. When stress is making your eye and leg twitch then you need medication of some kind. Vitamins and other natural suppliments can help.

Hang in there.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:02 PM

10,711 posts, read 5,214,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
Let me preface this by saying I am introverted and that anxiety runs in the family.

Ever since I was little, I have dreaded unfamiliar stimuli and novel situations. I believe psychologists have coined the term "high reactive" to describe people like me.
^Me too.

Am very much reliant on routine, it makes me feel safe & comfortable. Having to adjust is super difficult & involves extra effort.
I'm the opposite of being able to "turn on a dime"-my "turning radius" for adaptation is wide & slow, it takes me ages to get used to anything new.
Neophobia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
^Fear/avoidance of novelty/newness (which describes me, to a degree).
You might also do a search using the term "transitions" or "coping with change"

I read up on the challenges I'm facing, to get intellectual sense of how to articulate the problems.
Putting words to my otherwise nameless amorphous dread and apprehension is useful to me,
but it can make a person feel worse-it just depends.
If you're overwhelmed, writing or typing it out (the knot of tangled things going on in one's life,
creating gridlock in one's brain) could make you feel better-or worse.

To the extent possible, I try to figure out ahead of time what's likely to transpire-
so I can rehearse & practice and/or brace myself & prepare.
Being taken by surprise is tough on me, and I'm not my "best self" under those conditions.

I'm not good with advice bc. we're all unique, but...seek out anything that reliably soothes and calms you.
Whether it's a song, a piece of clothing, a food, a book, watching a bird out the window-
make time to pay attention to something that is sure to give you at least a moment of good feeling,
in between dealing with the unstable and chaotic things that induce stress & pressure.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:42 AM

1,750 posts, read 1,123,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
^Me too.

To the extent possible, I try to figure out ahead of time what's likely to transpire-
so I can rehearse & practice and/or brace myself & prepare.
Being taken by surprise is tough on me, and I'm not my "best self" under those conditions.

The first part of what you describe is "fear"; you know what to prepare for. The second part is "fright" - an unexpected stimulus. One way to deal with "fright" is to broaden your exposure to varied situations, moving them from "fright" to fear as you now know what to expect from the new familiar, and then prepare. As many opportunities to work and move outside of one's comfort zone (and build up successes there even by simply experiencing them) - should be taken. (This may be trite advice, but have you considered "Toastmasters" or similar activities?)

Last edited by RP2C; 10-22-2014 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 10-22-2014, 08:54 AM

15,466 posts, read 13,445,706 times
Ive got worse with age... I hate weddings,parties, family get togethers.. unexpected vistors.. going on holiday, in fact anything out of the ordinary where I dont feel comfortable... I even ignore people on the street that I know as I feel panic to be talkative or funny and want to run away and get home as soon as I can.... I only feel at peace in my own home...I never visit anyone as I feel it means i have to talk in conversation and might not be interesting enough.. I worry about everything.. My stomach churns at unexpected situations and hate surprises... I need rubbed out and drew over again.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:50 AM

27,506 posts, read 26,076,624 times
"I do whatever possible to avoid having to travel too far from home. I have this phobia about traveling alone and getting lost in a big city or unfamiliar town. I even feel uncomfortable about taking highways that lead me too far from the areas with which I'm most familiar."

That doesn't sound irrational to me. I've gotten lost in scary neighborhoods in Trenton, NJ, Baltimore MD and Washington DC. I once got separated from a student tour group in Paris. Most of the other students spoke French, a few Spanish and I was taking German. Yeah.

I've also gotten lost in rural areas. It's less threatening than being lost in a city--until you realize that you're running out of gas, you're hungry, and it's going to be cold that night.

These days, I don't even like to accompany someone to the airport. It reminds me of the terrible flights I've been on.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:42 AM

1,831 posts, read 2,533,137 times
I tend to get anxious when I have to go somewhere new alone. Especially if it's a new doctor. Not only do I fear getting lost, but...just anything new tends to scare me. I don't like things outside of normal routine. I like to go on vacation but I do get pretty anxious right before traveling. I don't know if it's normal or not. I usually just try to ignore it/work through it & go anyway. GPS helps with the fear of getting lost.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:15 PM

3,330 posts, read 2,252,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post

Here are a few examples:
-Over the years, I couldn't sleep the night before the first day of school (and still have trouble doing so the night before the first day at a new job)
- I do whatever possible to avoid having to travel too far from home. I have this phobia about traveling alone and getting lost in a big city or unfamiliar town. I even feel uncomfortable about taking highways that lead me too far from the areas with which I'm most familiar.
- I had never even been on a plane before this year. I only traveled out of town because it was for my honeymoon. Because I was with my wife, it wasn't so bad.

I've noticed myself with frayed nerves of late because of all the stimulation in my life this year (wedding, buying a car, long search for a condo, personal and family issues, etc.) It's as if everything has assailed me at once.

I guess that up until the wedding I'd enjoyed a slower-paced life with fewer things to worry about. Now I just feel like a ball of nerves, always worrying about stuff, my leg or eye twitching like crazy.

Anyone else here a worry wart who suffers from anxiety and/or is introverted? How did or can you cope with it?
I am the same way as you...I have big problems with anticipatory anxiety.. I get this scenario in my head..get scared.. And in reality nothing ever happens that I have conjured up in my mind....it is so exhausting!!!

Old 11-01-2014, 01:16 PM

2,860 posts, read 2,254,368 times
Mine was really horrible for a long, long time which started out when I was in my middle school years. I literally became an introverted hermit other than attending schooling and work. I know some don't like hearing "playing the blame game". I believe it had a lot to do with my upbringing the way my parents raised me.. The way parents raise their children can have a positive or negative effect.

After a series of life events that has happened, I decided to do something about it even if it means being socially awkward. It sure beats being miserable. Having a GPS is a lifesaver, without it, I'd be stuck at home ALL the time. I'm much more social now than when I was in my teen years and 20's.

I STILL have a difficult time getting close to anyone. I prefer to keep people at an acquaintance level. I have people that may view me as a close friend but I don't feel that way with them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or