U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 08:01 PM

546 posts, read 777,763 times

Advertisements

I have a host of issues. Last night I woke up at 3 in the middle of the night and stared into the darkness for 2 hours. I live in my dreamworld and space out. I feel physically exhausted and put off important work.
Seeing a therapist is both good and bad. He hasn't given me a diagnosis yet. I bought a fitbit band to monitor my sleep and I got my weekly report. My landlord and my roommate beg me to stop walking around the house. I didn't realize the extent but today the report says : I walk 7 klms(5miles) everyday. AND I NEVER LEAVE MY HOUSE!!

It could be psychological but it must be chemical imbalance. My therapist is not giving me any medication because he says it should be a last resort. I am also researching on the trans cranial magnetic stimulation therapy(rTMS). It has to be chemicals. Not just for me, but for all of humanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 08:09 PM

I must also add this: perhaps I have become so accustomed to my loneliness. But I love being spaced out. I love day dreaming. I love being not stressed by work and career and love(though I deeply crave all of those).
I cannot imagine being busy. In my imaginations I become a famous person who has achieved much and he is on a chat show. The entire world is living in bunkers because Putin was assassinated and Third World War was on the brink. So the entire world is watching me- and I am giving advice and hope to the people.

And one question is regarding my weekly routine. And I say that one day a week(Wednesday) I do nothing. I sit in a pool on a sunny afternoon, surrounded by loved ones, or even alone and I do nothing but lie basking.
And I would want to do that.

The stories I have conjured up in all these years(age 28, been like this ever since) would make great films. I am a scriptwriter and I sold some short stories. Some stories have been lauded by my teachers. But I rather sit home.

Even if I become one of the normal people I'd love to daydream and bask in the sun. People stress too much and die without much ponder and thought.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:37 AM

4,761 posts, read 11,879,124 times
It is like a computer...

Could be a hardware problem.

Or could be a software problem.

Let the expert do his job and determine what is wrong.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
It is like a computer...

Could be a hardware problem.

Or could be a software problem.

Let the expert do his job and determine what is wrong.
Expert isn't giving me an answer that's the problem. It's been five sessions and I have asked him for a diagnosis and all he says is "there are hints of depression and anxiety issues". I want a diagnosis. But you are correct. I need to have patience.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:48 PM

10,141 posts, read 14,869,756 times
The sad truth is there is no "objective" test for a possible mental health condition. You have to keep going and be totally candid with you PDOC. Most people aren't for a number of reasons and never get a proper diagnosis.

Unfortunately psych medicine is trial and error, best educated guess imo.

Take this with a grain of salt, because you aren't medically trained, but this is a pretty good test that a female friend of mine took and it lead to a diagnosis of Bipolar Type 2 which appears correct

Temperament and Personality questionnaire

Old 10-23-2014, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 1,012 times
The temperament and personality questionniere talked a lot about non-melancholic depression, but not bipolar disorder.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:36 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,938,003 times
Everything that has to do with your consciousness can ultimately be reduced to "chemicals". The real question is did the chemical imbalances (if any) come first, or did some kind of distorted thinking or cognition habits cause the chemical imbalance over time?

Old 10-24-2014, 01:08 AM

6,497 posts, read 3,281,521 times
Quote:
My therapist is not giving me any medication because he says it should be a last resort.
I'd think yes and no. The right medications could be a start (and short term) to your treatment but how would anyone know where to start? I'm so in favour of several medications that compliment each other, taken together in small doses. I'm not sure there is much information on that approach. I asked my shrink for such an approach and he put me on an old school medication together with a third generation med. That helped but the real improvement came with therapeutic nutrition (micro-nutrients - think magnesium, omega 3, B12, cashews, L-Theanine and so on).

So, my suggestion is to research therapeutic micro-nutrition and see what you think. There is no harm in giving yourself a healthy platform to build on. The idea is to give yourself the best possible opportunity for your brain to have good neuro-chemical balance. Good nutrition can only help.

All the best,
303Guy

Old 11-05-2014, 03:32 PM

283 posts, read 469,699 times
This is reductionist nonsense. Why does it "HAVE" to be chemicals? Because a drug company ad says so?

And you are aware that the 'chemical imbalance' hypothesis is completly theoretical right? And that there aren't and have never been any objective tests to prove such a thing right?

And that there's evidence against the hypothesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
I have a host of issues. Last night I woke up at 3 in the middle of the night and stared into the darkness for 2 hours. I live in my dreamworld and space out. I feel physically exhausted and put off important work.
Seeing a therapist is both good and bad. He hasn't given me a diagnosis yet. I bought a fitbit band to monitor my sleep and I got my weekly report. My landlord and my roommate beg me to stop walking around the house. I didn't realize the extent but today the report says : I walk 7 klms(5miles) everyday. AND I NEVER LEAVE MY HOUSE!!

It could be psychological but it must be chemical imbalance. My therapist is not giving me any medication because he says it should be a last resort. I am also researching on the trans cranial magnetic stimulation therapy(rTMS). It has to be chemicals. Not just for me, but for all of humanity.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:25 PM

6,322 posts, read 5,097,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
Expert isn't giving me an answer that's the problem. It's been five sessions and I have asked him for a diagnosis and all he says is "there are hints of depression and anxiety issues". I want a diagnosis. But you are correct. I need to have patience.
If the person you are seeing is billing any insurance, s/he must give them a diagnosis. Ask them what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or