Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 01:34 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if I'm the only one with this problem....

I hate loud sudden noises. If I hear something like a random cherry bomb go off or a loud motorcycle suddenly rev up it's engine, it scares the **** out of me and makes me edgy until I know I'm away from the thing.

It's so bad, I couldn't even enjoy hot air ballooning because I wasn't prepared to hear massive explosive roars of gaseous fire at random intervals, and after getting the living daylights startled out of me one too many times, I focused on the guy operating the fire switch rather than enjoy the scenery.

I don't mind loud stuff if it's consistent. Just not being startled out of silence.

Also sometimes I have an irrational slight worry that one day I'll be walking somewhere, and there will suddenly be an explosion, or I'll suddenly get shot. This doesn't rule my life or stop me from going about life, it's just in the back of my mind.

Does anyone even slightly relate to these, or do I direly need to be dragged away by The Men in White?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 03:15 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,371,365 times
No, it's not "just you"-we all vary in how sensitive our startle response is,
to what degree each person's body reacts (with "fight or flight" reflex):
Startle response - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One can adapt to predictable regularly repeating stimuli.
It's the unwarned, random, intermittent stimuli (which convey a perception of threat
and/or are impossible to habituate to), that perturb the brain & derange the mind.

Leaves one perpetually off-balance and in state of fearful anticipation, as in this quote
from George Prochnik's "In Pursuit of Silence: Listening for Meaning in a World of Noise", 2010:
Quote:
Originally Posted by book excerpt
"In her report, she cited psychologist James Scully to underscore the injurious effect of this random pattern: 'When the sequence is wholly disordered or arrhythmic, the mind is kept, so to speak, in a state of tip-toe expectation of every succeeding moment,' in an 'imaginative preoccupation of the attention.'"

Old 10-25-2014, 07:50 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
As one who works at a haunted house this time of year, it's people like you that we LOVE!!!

Old 10-26-2014, 01:31 AM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
I can't tolerate loud noises and am easily startled. If I expect noise, like at a fireworks display, I'm OK. Unexpected loud noises really bother me. Some people find it amusing.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:46 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,058,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I can't tolerate loud noises and am easily startled. If I expect noise, like at a fireworks display, I'm OK. Unexpected loud noises really bother me. Some people find it amusing.
Same here.

On a side note, it may not be loud, but I absolutely freak out if I'm driving & the stupid radio feels the need to play some kind of siren...and makes me think there's an ambulance or something behind me.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
Same here.

On a side note, it may not be loud, but I absolutely freak out if I'm driving & the stupid radio feels the need to play some kind of siren...and makes me think there's an ambulance or something behind me.
Me too! I actually pulled over once. At least I'm a law abiding citizen.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:21 PM

187 posts, read 626,503 times
Your depressed. Seek professional help/counseling.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:06 AM

165 posts, read 194,428 times
I hate anything noisy but loud music that I like.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:10 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
You probably are a deep thinker, and it snaps you out.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS250 View Post
Your depressed. Seek professional help/counseling.
How about PTSD, Stimulus-sensitive myoclonus or minor hyperekplexia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health