U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2014, 06:55 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,401,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinegirl7 View Post
I didn't mean to go off the subject but really I take myself through the house again in the listing pictures and NEVER once would I have picked the house based on the colors, wallpaper, etc. I now have spent $$$ and will continue to the next few months to see if it will sell.
It is your responsibility to review the appraisal, look up data, do whatever research you need to do to be comfortable with a home purchase.
As others have pointed out, there are ALWAYS issues with houses that the inspector didn't pick up or the seller didn't disclose.
These items you mention are all cosmetic issues that can be easily changed.
There are other issues underlying your unhappiness with the house. Your reaction as described is way out of proportion to the situation.
Call a help hotline, post in the Psychology forum, make an appointment with a therapist or all of the above.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:20 AM

239 posts, read 294,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
So, what are the updated homes like yours selling for?

I assume they are selling for more than you paid, based on your other posts.

Make some lower-priced cosmetic updates. They'll make you feel better.

You may also want to consider posting about this on the Psychology forum.
Updated versions are going for 1500 more that's why I am so upset that we overpaid by a lot!!
Why doesn't anyone understand that I am devastated from overpaying on a house we originally thought was a lowball offer?

Old 12-06-2014, 07:31 AM

1,593 posts, read 1,919,447 times
A stated upstream.

Get a grip, stop blaming others.

Now.

Go give your husband a hug and realize what a blessing and privilege it is to be able to buy a home, any home.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:35 AM

15,553 posts, read 22,912,299 times
OP this is your third thread on the same subject. This isn't the sellers fault, you cannot place blame elsewhere.

It's really time for you to get off the internet and get professional help. Posting about this isn't going to help you feel better. People have told you over and over again to get therapy. Like I have said, I get where you are coming from, but you are becoming destructive to yourself and to your husband.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:35 AM

6,987 posts, read 8,552,793 times
Quote:
Updated versions are going for 1500 more that's why I am so upset that we overpaid by a lot!!
Why doesn't anyone understand that I am devastated from overpaying on a house we originally thought was a lowball offer?
No one understands it because your reaction is beyond irrational. Get help NOW!

Old 12-06-2014, 07:45 AM

239 posts, read 294,750 times
I will stop posting. I just needed to know what to do because I want to resell in spring and move on but I truly believe. my house would sell for 45-50000 less than we paid based in comps currently and that makes us believe we have to update every inch of house to make it worth wait we paid. i am being devastated because I rushed out of a rental and bought the opposite of what we wanted based on what our realtor presented to us

Old 12-06-2014, 07:54 AM

4,525 posts, read 3,675,882 times
Might as well get this one back up top to ease the navigation for those trying to follow all the whining threads about the same thing.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:29 AM

22,951 posts, read 23,557,382 times
Quote:
I will stop posting. I just needed to know what to do because I want to resell in spring and move on but I truly believe. my house would sell for 45-50000 less than we paid based in comps currently and that makes us believe we have to update every inch of house to make it worth wait we paid. i am being devastated because I rushed out of a rental and bought the opposite of what we wanted based on what our realtor presented to us
OP, let me add some perspective for you. We've bought, lived in and sold 12 houses so far moving across the country for almost all of them. The house we currently live in was originally purchased for $260,000 in 2006. We paid about $110,000 for it in 2009 and that story was repeated through out this subdivision and in most of the city/state we live in.
Many of these people just dropped their keys in the living room and just walked out giving up their life savings/dream home and losing EVERYTHING.

Now let me add this experience, we bought a house several years ago SIGHT UNSEEN except for pictures on the internet and some follow up pictures taken by a friend. Wonderful location, one of the best locations in the city but the house was...well... OLD and outdated. Imagine "old lady" flower wallpaper everywhere, kitchen floor was old and worn and the bathrooms/kitchen were 1960's "sheik" where you could easily picture gold or avocado appliances.
We won't even discuss the outside!
We paid "market" price for it and realized once we got there that the inspector was an idiot who missed a whole bunch of stuff that had we known we would've balked at buying it.
After my wife smacked me around a bit for talking her into this and we did some serious reflection we realized we could either get sucked into a downward spiral and bail or dig in and fix what was wrong.

We ended up putting about $30,000 into the house over a 1- 1 1/2 year peroid starting with ripping out that ugly,ugly wall paper and painting everything and since that is the easiest/cheapest thing to do. This made a HUGE difference and made the house livable while we worked on the other stuff. Each "project" made the home more and more livable and when we were done it looked nice. After living in it for 3 years we sold it for $50,000 MORE than we had into it.

Remember, while living in it you are getting the benefit of having someplace to live instead of paying someone else's mortgage, being able to create YOUR vision and with some sweat gaining knowledge and equity which will last you a lifetime.

What I always remind my wife are these few words which you need to repeat often. Those words are...say it with me.... IT'S ONLY A HOUSE It's not a child,husband or family pet. It's 4 walls with stuff inside. It doesn't feel, can't love,can't hate (although I'd swear some of ours could) it's only wood,plaster,fiber and wire.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:30 AM

5,048 posts, read 7,538,181 times
You do need professional help to get through this depression or grief.

You are feeling powerless because among other things your family member did not move in with you afterall, your realtor you trusted turned out to be untrustworthy in the pricing, his advice to you and during the showings in allowing the seller to follow you. I know of several situations where the buyer's agent had to call the seller's agent to say the prospective purchasers were interested but would like to see it again without the sellers following them or even present. Some going so far as to say it was outright unnerving.

You might look up the requirements/ethics for the buyer's agent in your area....if he was indeed supposed to be in the role of your buyer agent.

Do talk to a professional about getting through this.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:50 AM

7,672 posts, read 10,558,372 times
Oh. Okay. Now that you got that off your chest, call a therapist if you still feel bad. Do it for your husband, poor guy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or