U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 05:18 PM

95 posts, read 75,957 times

Advertisements

"I was thinking the same. OP said they loved the neighborhood and the location of the home. That's huge. She said she really liked the back yard... again, that's huge."

Yes, and in other posts she complains the house is too big and it has a pool (needs work, but still...) The more I read about sunshine's house, the more diamond-in-the-rough it sounds: an ample family-sized home with a pool in a great neighborhood and location. If it were mine, I'd be giddy with excitement. I have a feeling that if she just started chipping away at the little affordable stuff and started refreshing with some modern colors, she'll recoup the money she thinks she's lost...and might even make a comfy, happy home of it.

Sunshine, there's a terrific home decorating forum over at Garden Web. There are lots of friendly people there who would love to help you out with suggestions and maybe some mock ups too. Many people there with experience in decorating on the cheap. What you think is "dated" could look fresh again with paint and accessories. Garden Web has good Kitchen and Bath forums too. You might even have fun gathering ideas how to make your house into your home.

Please don't worry about the money -- you're not talking humongous fortunes here, honestly, and you might recover & come out ahead in five years if you are prudent with your spending and the markets perk up a little. Finances are always tight after a home purchase, in my experience, and you never have the money to upgrade as you'd like. Renovating a new home isn't anything like HGTV's instant renovation shows. It takes time and money and years.

In the meantime, I hope you have a happy holiday season to kick start some good memories and good times in your new home.

Old 12-06-2014, 05:32 PM

23,552 posts, read 13,602,804 times
Sorry to hear you are not happy- so many would love to live anywhere and just fix it to their liking- if you are ill- I am sorry- feel better and get the help you need to feel better in general. if not- then this is very spoiled attitude. Find one thing about the house you like, and work on that.

Old 12-06-2014, 06:34 PM

7,241 posts, read 8,895,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daydreamer/Sunshinegirl7 View Post
GREAT location and loved the backyard, people maintained home VERY well and showed us records
Please keep this in mind. You didn't buy the house without reason. You need to look on the bright side of life.

Happy Holidays.

Sing along:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ

Last edited by RedZin; 12-06-2014 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: Unnecessary

Old 12-06-2014, 07:02 PM

239 posts, read 294,750 times
I will stop asking the same questions and focus on working on it and listing it in Spring IF I am still in the same mental state that I am in

I have been hanging out helping my husband all day and I break down about if we were at rental we would have freedom instead of fixing a 2800 square foot home up without much money.

We both talked today and agree with this house we did not sit and do pros and cons like we did with the flip we backed out of. we did not talk about how long and how much money we would have to pay to fix it up. we rushed on this one for some reason. he said the extra suite down stairs for my aunt and I agree we thought of her and location.

Redzin thank you for all the tips and advice. it helps to talk about it. I am not here for attention but advice and ideas and tips and experiences. I hope I can look back and laugh also

Old 12-06-2014, 07:08 PM

239 posts, read 294,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post

Please keep this in mind. You didn't buy the house without reason. You need to look on the bright side of life.

Happy Holidays.

Sing along:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ

Thank u. I am not perfect and I am not crazy. maybe I am under the most stress in my life.

Last edited by RedZin; 12-06-2014 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: Quoted material was deleted.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:29 PM

14,887 posts, read 22,102,249 times
Default Look in a reality mirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinegirl7 View Post
I am not crazy
Yes, you [mildly] are.
Stop posting here!
Someone else suggested 2-3 visits per week to a shrink. That was good advice.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:53 PM

34,773 posts, read 30,685,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinegirl7 View Post
I will stop asking the same questions and focus on working on it and listing it in Spring IF I am still in the same mental state that I am in

I have been hanging out helping my husband all day and I break down about if we were at rental we would have freedom instead of fixing a 2800 square foot home up without much money.

We both talked today and agree with this house we did not sit and do pros and cons like we did with the flip we backed out of. we did not talk about how long and how much money we would have to pay to fix it up. we rushed on this one for some reason. he said the extra suite down stairs for my aunt and I agree we thought of her and location.

Redzin thank you for all the tips and advice. it helps to talk about it. I am not here for attention but advice and ideas and tips and experiences. I hope I can look back and laugh also
You're going to be fine. Take some of the advice you've gotten here. Learn from this experience. Move forward in a calm, rational way. Don't make any major financial decisions while you're upset.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:29 PM

4,675 posts, read 8,211,181 times
Well.. wouldn't you have been fixing up the home anyway.......with your aunt moving in?

Or were you planning on leaving it.. in all it's 80's splendor?

Old 12-07-2014, 02:11 AM

67 posts, read 72,164 times
Sunshine/Daydreamer:

I can relate somewhat to your concerns. My husband and I bought a property 3 years ago that we felt was the perfect place for us. It was a 20-yr old manufactured home on well fenced 2 acres, with a pool and with a large stick-built building right next to it. That stick-built building is all complete on the exterior but needs the interior finished. The manufactured home has been well kept but is dated, and the 2 buildings (mfg home and stick-built) "look like" they are attached to be one long ranch-house style home but the exteriors don't match as well as they could (paint and trim), etc. There were a lot of nice trees on the property, and a drip system already in place. The seller was headed to foreclosure, so although it had not been advertised as a "short sale", that's what it basically was, and the price was low enough that we could see how the improvements we would make (including finishing the interior of the stick-built) would definitely raise the value down the road when the low market bounced back. So our purchase of the property was not a mistake. However, when our first application for a mortgage didn't go through due to lender's concerns about the unfinished building, we went with a private lender just to get the deal done. Our contract with him was for 1 year -- at 15% interest, and all of our payments to him were interest only -- which seemed all right to us, as we felt sure we'd be able to find a lender in that time who would work with us. There are lending programs available for doing various types of remodeling, refinishing, additions and so forth financed in together with a basic mortgage, and we expected to be able to use one of those.

It didn't happen. As of right now, we've been through at least 5 attempts to get standard mortgage financing on this property at a normal decent interest rate. And in the last 3 years we've paid out approximately $56,000 just in interest to our private lender. We are presently in the final stages of our most recent financing attempt, and it looks like this one will go through (they wanted a well water test, and said that when the results are back next week, then they'll schedule a closing date) ... but who knows?

So at this point, we've now paid out $56,000 on top of the sale price of the property. NOT what we had planned to do or expected to happen. Assuming the present application does go to closing, by the time we have put further money in to the fixes and updates we want to do, eventually we are likely to just about break even when we finally sell the property and perhaps only come out "ahead" by whatever equity we've built up on it by that time. We do plan to live on this property for our retirement years, so "indefinitely".

The point I want to make with this story is that THINGS HAPPEN. We've found things wrong that our home inspection didn't catch -- nothing horrendous, but the fixes were money out of our pockets that we didn't anticipate. Nearly all the trees that were so lovely on the property have died because the seller left the water running in the drip lines through a winter and those lines froze and busted. Seller didn't know and we didn't know until the trees began to die. THINGS HAPPEN. Our efforts to save the trees that remain involve -- for now -- long hoses and running around moving the hoses from one place to another across 2 acres. It's good exercise .... sometimes you have to have a sense of humor!

As others have suggested, I would really recommend that you take a few deep breaths, and do some things that will help you to get better sleep. There are over-the-counter sleeping pills that are pretty gentle, that you can take for a while so long as your doctor okays it. It doesn't help anything for you to be so wired up and exhausted with worry, you will be better able to think constructively when you aren't so tired.

If you have not already done it, I suggest that you and your husband sit down and make a list of the things you want to fix or change about the house. Then prioritize them however you want -- maybe put the least expensive things first, for example. Then, for each item, make a list of what materials you will need to get that item taken care of. Paint? Carpentry work? Flooring? You can take measurements of rooms and go talk to someone at a Home Depot or a Lowes to get a general estimate on what it would cost to do what you want to get done. Many things can be done easily and with little expense if you do them yourselves -- AND, you have a couple of teen boys? Whoo-hoo, CHEAP LABOR! (and they will learn some valuable things about home repairs and updates that will be of great use to them in their lives as time goes on).

Resurfacing the pool? Not hard. Drain it, power-wash it to clean it out well, and there are surfacing materials that can be sprayed on. If you don't feel confident in doing this yourselves, check around for a good handyman in your area with this experience -- neighbors may have recommendations. It's not very expensive.

The additional room with the bath ... think creatively about this: maybe you could rent that space out to a college student or to someone else who is looking for just a room to rent. And although your great-aunt may not be interested in moving to live with you now, she or some other relative might have that need down the road.

Next time you are in the grocery or drugstore, pick up some magazines that reference the style of home and decorating that you like. Also pick up some magazines about gardening. Run searches on Google Images of anything that would apply ("updated bathroom" ... "updated wood flooring" ... "granite countertops" ... etc.) to just get ideas and inspirations. Start VISUALIZING what you want the home to become.

Go to your nearest Habitat for Humanity. Great source for things like replacing doors, cabinets, fixtures, lighting, and many other things. Quite often, the materials available are new and the pricing is outstanding, you can really save a lot of money.

Honestly, I bet that if you start thinking creatively and cost-effectively about what needs to be done or what you want to do, this house you have bought could become much more than your dream come true, AND when you finally go to sell it, you will be able to recoup all or most of your investment.

It's not so bad, Sunshine. Really, it's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or