U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2014, 08:01 AM

9,642 posts, read 7,217,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinegirl7 View Post
mapmd you are right, I shouldn't be complaining about a house that has more rooms than I even need. The problem is with me is I bought too much of a house, too big of a house, too much money, too many updates.

I want to sell because I truly feel if I want a house that I need to update from top to bottom, I need to buy one of those fixer uppers, that's why I am a mess, the price tag on this house was not a fixer upper price. I am complaining about all the issues because I feel so overwhelmed and some of this stuff I should have just said it was too much to deal with in the beginning.
You say you want a fixer upper, but don't like having to do updates on your current house?

Talk to a therapist. You're all over the place here, and you aren't thinking logically.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:02 AM

34,789 posts, read 16,027,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Did you not read the bolded comments above from the OP??

There's no call for shame here. Suncc is absolutely right. Those ^^^ are not healthy reactions to a "huge investment" or even buyers remorse. They are cries for help.

The OP does need professional help, and not from a professional Realtor.
Yes, I read all of the comments and she is obviously distraught, but if you don't think she is receptive to the advice given her, then why not quit following the thread rather than start making judgments about her mental health? It irritates me that people make comments like that on forums but would never say the same thing to a neighbor, they would walk away or change the subject but I seriously doubt if they would diagnose a psychiatric condition over the back fence.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:03 AM

12,290 posts, read 23,382,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinegirl7 View Post
mapmd you are right, I shouldn't be complaining about a house that has more rooms than I even need. The problem is with me is I bought too much of a house, too big of a house, too much money, too many updates. Why did I do this, I am sick to my stomach about it. I thought my great aunt would come live with us so I loved how it had the extra room downstairs with bathroom, because she is elderly. I bought because it's in a safe neighborhood, I bought thinking I could resell easily because it's in a great location, I impulsed on this sale and put a lot down on it. I am now regretting it. There were things that weren't disclosed and we had leaking and it's just been a nightmare,that is the issue I said we are going after seller for, not the undated items, those we saw but I seem to see more everyday, The amount we spent is just something I can't get used to yet.

I am overwhelmed and it's destroying the person I am, it's putting me in a place I don't want to be and I am going to do whatever it takes to get myself back together. I want to sell because I truly feel if I want a house that I need to update from top to bottom, I need to buy one of those fixer uppers, that's why I am a mess, the price tag on this house was not a fixer upper price. I am complaining about all the issues because I feel so overwhelmed and some of this stuff I should have just said it was too much to deal with in the beginning.
I mean this sincerely -> you need to see a therapist. A little bit of buyer's remorse is normal; to say that your home purchase is "destroying the person you are" is WAY NOT NORMAL.

You need some help sorting out your feelings on this house so you can make a rational financial decision. If you sell now, you'll immediately lose around $32k in realtor commissions & closing costs. Reading between the lines of your earlier posts, that basically means putting HALF of your life savings in a trash can and lighting it on fire. All because you had a leak and don't like your doorknobs. I really don't think you want to throw away half your life savings so you need some coping tips to help you adjust to your new home.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:07 AM

6,032 posts, read 7,932,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Yes, I read all of the comments and she is obviously distraught, but if you don't think she is receptive to the advice given her, then why not quit following the thread rather than start making judgments about her mental health? It irritates me that people make comments like that on forums but would never say the same thing to a neighbor, they would walk away or change the subject but I seriously doubt if they would diagnose a psychiatric condition over the back fence.
OP is beyond distraught. If you read the multiple threads and posts on this, it sounds like the OP is near the end of her rope and possibly coming unhinged.

I was just offering that she go seek professional counsel and assistance.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:09 AM

48,418 posts, read 46,693,254 times
Quote:
It irritates me that people make comments like that on forums but would never say the same thing to a neighbor, they would walk away or change the subject but I seriously doubt if they would diagnose a psychiatric condition over the back fence.
LOL don't you know ... that's how online forums work!

Old 11-12-2014, 08:20 AM

9,642 posts, read 7,217,300 times
Quote:
Yes, I read all of the comments and she is obviously distraught, but if you don't think she is receptive to the advice given her, then why not quit following the thread rather than start making judgments about her mental health?
No one made any judgements about her mental health. They said that she needs to talk to someone like a counselor to help her work through emotions that aren't in line with normal reactions. She is obviously distraught, to the point of starting many threads, and not receiving any of the "calm down, deep breaths, one coat of paint at a time" advise from people that know what she's going through. If she were my sister or a close friend, I would advise her to seek help. This is not a normal reaction, especially as it isn't like buying a car where you can rush into the decision in an afternoon. There is an offer, inspections, appraisals, approvals, etc.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:34 AM

11,450 posts, read 11,157,034 times
The way that the OP expresses herself in her posts is all that we can go by. Judging by her words and tone, she does sound more irrational than she should. I understand being overwhelmed, as I am preparing my own home for sale and sometimes feel that way. But she is taking things to another level and is making one bad decision after another (i.e. wanting to sell a home that she has barely lived in).

She knew about the lack of updates and the size when she purchased the home. All of the update issues can easily be remedied over time within the $20,000 or so that she saved courtesy of the price reduction, unless her expectations are somehow out of whack. None of these things are worth "destroying the person" she is. It's hard for people to understand how such relatively small things can upset someone that much and aren't posting therapy out of malice.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:29 PM

27,172 posts, read 54,822,151 times
My vote is to tuff it out and decide come Spring...

Friends made a similar purchase near Seattle and both really started having the worse case of buyer's remorse... they were just overwhelmed and had this sinking feeling.

This is also the time of year where the days are short and it turned out part of the problem was attributed to SAD...

Come Spring... I thought for sure they were putting the place on the market... real estate activity picked up and the days were getting longer... all of a sudden they were no longer in a dark place...

Three years have passed and they could sell at a nice little profit plus their mortgage is about what rent would be...

Decided it was not so bad afterall and with prices going up they are now glad they bought when they did...

By the way... SAD is real and some are very susceptible to it...

Old 11-13-2014, 08:03 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,847,101 times
I mean this in the kindest, gentlest way possible... please consider seeing a therapist. You are overwhelmed, you feel trapped, its consuming you. Depression runs rampant in my family, and I'm concerned for you. Sometimes a big life stressor (like moving) can trigger it. I wish you the best.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:22 AM

14,884 posts, read 22,102,249 times
Dear OP,
Shrink your expectations.
,dave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or