Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 05:41 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,339,506 times

Advertisements

This is kind of a general question, but what do you attribute to your current mental health.... whether you think it's good or not so good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 05:59 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,283 times
Because of the economy, I lost my job and had to move to OKC in part because of the better job market and in part because a lot of family lives here. Long story short, it all around makes me very unhappy being here, and has affected my mental health to a degree I have some psychosomatic responses-- loss of libido, loss of appetite, loss of motivation, increased periods of isolation, headaches, etc. I've taken a few vacations since moving here, and I go back to a more normal state when I do, such as going out more, feeling happier, loss of those responses, etc. So in general, living in this town has an adverse effect on my mental health, and I think it's the root of my current problems.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:09 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
Good mental health - and a BIG part is having worked with the public most of my life.

I've frequently noticed, other people I meet who have excellent mental health, many times work or have worked extensively with people. They are school teachers, supervisors/managers, health care professionals, etc.

Other than that, college psychology 101 is quite helpful along with reading psychology books.

Then growing up "filling your head" with mentally healthy advice from others (finding the right advice to listen to). A good way to find out who those people are is to ask 5 different people the same advice question (like why is my girlfriend mad at me). Then 4 may give the same basic answer. Those are the people to listen to.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:27 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
This is kind of a general question, but what do you attribute to your current mental health.... whether you think it's good or not so good?
My faith in and relationship with God help me cope with stressors that might otherwise lead to anxiety and situational depression

Old 12-01-2014, 11:35 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
My friend is this little pill called Celexa. Without it, I am a raving b!!tch.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:26 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,822,657 times
Mine.. so not hot...In the past three months, I quit a job...my husband retired..and we moved 500 miles south...I went from living in a city of 100,000 to about 1,400 people so I have had a major adjustment.. I don't really know too many people here and there is NOT a lot to do around here which I knew for years when we were planning this move but hopefully it will all work itself out...I am the type that if I have nothing to do, I do nothing.... I don't actively seek out the action..not to say there is a lot of action here.

The town voted down liquor by the drink the past two votes so the closest restaurant to imbibe or get a decent meal..anything more than a Subway $5 footlong is 20 miles away. I have had anxiety and panic issues all my life which isn't helping either...I just have to give it time and push myself I think.....

Old 12-02-2014, 03:32 AM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Good mental health - and a BIG part is having worked with the public most of my life.

I've frequently noticed, other people I meet who have excellent mental health, many times work or have worked extensively with people. They are school teachers, supervisors/managers, health care professionals, etc.

Other than that, college psychology 101 is quite helpful along with reading psychology books.

Then growing up "filling your head" with mentally healthy advice from others (finding the right advice to listen to). A good way to find out who those people are is to ask 5 different people the same advice question (like why is my girlfriend mad at me). Then 4 may give the same basic answer. Those are the people to listen to.

I disagree. I think these people are just more "extroverted."

Old 12-03-2014, 07:41 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,566,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
tend to side with you. My mental health is mostly impacted by weather and the seasons. I've changed jobs enough times in my life, ranging from being a cube bound accountant to a face-to-face consultant, to back to being a cube bound cust call center employee to know that the job does have an impact, but since we are all made up differently, the mental health might be only loosely tied to my work.

It's a much deeper issue.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:00 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Well to put it another way...

People who have little or no contact with other people I frequently find to have poor mental health.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:34 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:
People who have little or no contact with other people I frequently find to have poor mental health.
But what came first, the poor mental health of the isolation? I tend to withdraw when not feeling so bright. My son on the other hand was clearly mentally ill (not psychotic) yet he was very social and had many friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health