Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2014, 06:11 AM

27 posts, read 52,727 times

Advertisements

8 years ago I was diagnosed bipolar. Luckily I have found the exact meds that are working for me and for this reason, I am able to have a "normal" and productive life without breakthroughs. Problem:

My original Psych had to close practice
My new Psych (I saw 2 times) stayed with my "cocktail" including anxiety meds.
First visit he gave me correct dosage of anxiety meds however he told me I had to return each month (60.00 a visit)
I discovered I could go 6 months on this med with out a doctor check. He could give me 5 refills.
Second visit he was with me 10 minutes, said I was doing great and I could have another script however he gave me 2 times the dosage of anxiety meds.
I was unable to concentrate at work (cognitive issues were questioned), was extremely tired and at one time the person I was driving with told me I needed to pull over...I had no idea this was due to the fact my meds were wrong. I finally looked at my bottle and was shocked. I went through my old history to make sure I was not wrong.
I called him immediately and told him it was wrong (I can't mess with my meds, I don't want more meds, I just want and NEED to be structured and stay on the same unless I see a problem)
He said I was completely wrong and to continue.
I have proof from old pill bottles and walgreens history.
I immediately found another Dr. who listened and I am now functioning in all aspects of my life.

I feel as if he lied about my continued visits
and he did not take my "plea" for help seriously. I never spoke with him but his nurse.

Would you pursue this...call AMA? or a lawyer or just chalk it up to a mistake and move on...

Thanks for you opinion.

el
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 07:25 AM

8,103 posts, read 8,266,691 times
I don't think a lawyer would take the case because you were not injured.

I once had a doctor do something similar. I wrote him a letter and told him he was fired as my physician and detailed the reasons. He responded thru his attorney totally defending himself. However, it gave me pleasure to put this issue in writing and "on record" if there was another screwup that harmed a patient, my letter would be of interest to authorities. Also, I enjoy the fact that he had to pay a lawyer to respond to me!

Old 11-02-2014, 11:00 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,193,158 times
This sounds like me. I was dealing with a county clinic. The first doctor was good, and listened mostly. He didn't know his drugs caused my cataracks, but aside form that he would listen. Then he went to another clinic and they merged the rest. A county with more people in it than some states and one lone, huge over burdened clinic....

I saw a different person each appointment. They worked out to every three months though they went through the fiction of making you an appointment they would cancel and you got three month's worth. I had legitimate physical health concerns AND the stuff was just making me a zombie and I was afraid to drive after for no reason I just... stopped on the road, then realized I was sitting in the middle of a lane and started on. I even explained and they'd say that's not the meds. Surprise. I took myself off them and the problems went away...

I didn't consider a lawyer, but if I hadn't moved right after might have done an official complaint. But if your a tiny cog in the big machine and the county keeps cutting funding, then that isn't likely to get you anywhere.

But I'm very glad you found someone who actually did their job. I suspect it wasn't county.

The whole ten minutes/you look fine/he're's your script and I'm done approach doesn't serve anyone but is all too common in large clinics and crowded areas.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:04 PM

698 posts, read 794,732 times
The Nurse could have lied, it's difficult to know what he really said she she acted as the go between.

I'd let it go

I am so glad you got it straightened out and you are alright

Old 11-03-2014, 07:38 AM

6,367 posts, read 6,233,865 times
Let it go. You weren't injured and aside from the clerical error, all the rest is standard operating procedure with our society so in need of psychiatrists.

I once had a Walmart pharmacist switch the labels/bottles of Ritalin and Klonopin. I caught it before i took a Ritalin (while driving!) So no harm done but i felt i should inform her as a professional courtesy.

Her response: "at least you know what you're doing."

Old 11-04-2014, 05:23 AM

27 posts, read 52,727 times
Posters,
thank you so much for all of the replies...it is scary how many "little mistakes there are"....but we are all human I guess...And thank you for your opinion regarding AMA or Lawyer and such. I will make sure a letter is written to the Dr. so he is aware....Maybe the nurse did not even tell him....

I'm glad we are all safe!

Peace,
emmylou

Old 11-05-2014, 03:26 PM

283 posts, read 520,448 times
This post sadly highlights psychopharmacology for the quackery it is. This business of putting people on different meds on a trial and error basis is par for the course in psychiatry. It's a bunch of quacks throwing darts at a target while blindfolded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmylou View Post
8 years ago I was diagnosed bipolar. Luckily I have found the exact meds that are working for me and for this reason, I am able to have a "normal" and productive life without breakthroughs. Problem:

My original Psych had to close practice
My new Psych (I saw 2 times) stayed with my "cocktail" including anxiety meds.
First visit he gave me correct dosage of anxiety meds however he told me I had to return each month (60.00 a visit)
I discovered I could go 6 months on this med with out a doctor check. He could give me 5 refills.
Second visit he was with me 10 minutes, said I was doing great and I could have another script however he gave me 2 times the dosage of anxiety meds.
I was unable to concentrate at work (cognitive issues were questioned), was extremely tired and at one time the person I was driving with told me I needed to pull over...I had no idea this was due to the fact my meds were wrong. I finally looked at my bottle and was shocked. I went through my old history to make sure I was not wrong.
I called him immediately and told him it was wrong (I can't mess with my meds, I don't want more meds, I just want and NEED to be structured and stay on the same unless I see a problem)
He said I was completely wrong and to continue.
I have proof from old pill bottles and walgreens history.
I immediately found another Dr. who listened and I am now functioning in all aspects of my life.

I feel as if he lied about my continued visits
and he did not take my "plea" for help seriously. I never spoke with him but his nurse.

Would you pursue this...call AMA? or a lawyer or just chalk it up to a mistake and move on...

Thanks for you opinion.

el
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health