U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 11:20 AM

685 posts, read 595,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCoriander View Post
Have you had your hearing checked lately? Often tinnitus is a sign of hearing loss.

It can be very distracting and can cause anxiety because it's hard not to focus on it. It can take a while to "train" yourself to ignore it. White noise or music may help mask it. I would definitely have a hearing test, just to be sure.
Logically, hearing loss would go hand-in-hand with tinnitus for two reasons but the first one is what happens when you have tinnitus. On the other side of the middle ear (where ear bones are - the three with the last called the stapes (looks like a stirrup) on the oval window that leads to the cochlea. Sound comes in, causes your eardrum to move back and forth, this causes the bones to move to transport the sound to the footplate (base) of the stapes that pushes sound through your auditory canal. Once on the other side of the oval window, there are thousands of celia (hair cells that are tiny) that move the sound (like moves something over blowing field of wheat) to the center of your brain responsible for hearing. When the celia break or bend for numerous reasons, there are gaps in what transmits sound, so sound ends up elsewhere and you get ringing in the ears a.k.a. tinnitus. The ringing can mask certain frequencies and you end up not hearing well.

The only help I have seen is a function (it's now built into many digital hearing aids) that may mask the ringing by allow more sound to get in your head. If you know you have tinnitus, a hearing exam may not do a thing for you. If you have the money for a masking device, it may.

Also, it may not be possible to train yourself to ignore it but that's the goal. I can't ignore it. It's constant. It's loud (and that varies). I have a cochlear implant. I'm deaf and I think I know the various causes in my case. The only thing that helps lower the volume is wearing the implant to have sounds from the world override the ringing. When I take it off, I'm back to ground zero.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 04:45 PM

292 posts, read 1,102,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOut001 View Post
The only help I have seen is a function (it's now built into many digital hearing aids) that may mask the ringing by allow more sound to get in your head. If you know you have tinnitus, a hearing exam may not do a thing for you. If you have the money for a masking device, it may.
I'm only basing my response on the fact that I developed tinnitus, went to the doctor, and ended up having an audiogram done when nothing else could be found. I then found out that I am losing my hearing (some of which may be due to tinnitus masking the sound). However, my tinnitus is very high-pitched, yet I am missing frequencies that are far below that of the tinnitus (and all over the frequency spectrum). I wear hearing aids and have been able to let the tinnitus go to the background over the years. I don't think it is a bad idea to rule out further hearing loss problems with an audiogram.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:45 AM

19 posts, read 26,382 times
It's hard to deal with, really.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:56 AM

6 posts, read 2,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
Does anyone have tinnitus and it is giving you a lot of anxiety? I have had this ear ringing for about 9 years and it sudden got worse as of late.....It never ends 24/7 constant buzzing... It makes me have a sense of fullness in my head and I get anxious...already have panic and agoraphobia but this is making it worse...The doctor said it probably won't go away and the people I try to explain it to who do not have this have NO IDEA how bothersome it is...I feel like I can't even do the things I use to..it's always there....
Can I ask you a question? My BF has this. And he's always got ringing in his ears, but he doesn't act like it bothers him. He said his hands are not hardly able to feel because of this tendinitous and he's always in some kind of pain, but, I am so afraid to touch him because he seems not to like affection at all. he never talks about what bothers him so I don't know why he's so unaffectionate, there are other problems with us that don't relate to that, but I was wondering if being touched is a problem with yourself as well as a result of it. Thanks

Old 07-12-2017, 07:15 PM

17,164 posts, read 8,300,719 times
I see commercials all the time for a new treatment. One can go for a trial. I think it's free, even.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:00 PM

6,043 posts, read 13,487,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
OH,i forgot,i do have hearing loss and I wear hearing aids which also helps ALOT with the tinnitus!
My hearing aids greatly reduce my tinnitus, too! It was an unexpected bonus of having to wear hearing aids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health