Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 08:37 PM

260 posts, read 323,849 times

Advertisements

Is it utter nonsense perpetrated by the 'medical elite', or are the conditions associated worthy of diagnosis? And do you feel the urge to judge and belittle someone on the street when (s)he is somewhat socially impaired or even just merely awkward?
Any opinions are greatly accepted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 07:41 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,582,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Watch View Post
Is it utter nonsense perpetrated by the 'medical elite', or are the conditions associated worthy of diagnosis? And do you feel the urge to judge and belittle someone on the street when (s)he is somewhat socially impaired or even just merely awkward?
Asperger's is an Autism Spectrum Disorder, and is definitely a valid disorder that can vary in severity from one affected person to the next. A specific gene has not yet been identified for Asperger's, however, there is evidence that the condition can run in families.

I do not feel the urge to judge or belittle anyone based on a condition they have no control over. In my opinion, people who do that have little compassion and probably have little self esteem as well.

Why is this in the Mississippi forum though?

Old 11-26-2014, 10:00 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,582,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
Asperger's is an Autism Spectrum Disorder, and is definitely a valid disorder that can vary in severity from one affected person to the next. A specific gene has not yet been identified for Asperger's, however, there is evidence that the condition can run in families.

I do not feel the urge to judge or belittle anyone based on a condition they have no control over. In my opinion, people who do that have little compassion and probably have little self esteem as well.

Why is this in the Mississippi forum though?
I see it was moved to the Health and Wellness forum.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:28 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
Quote:
My daughter has AS. I think it definitely is a diagnosis that is separate from just Autism. I do understand it is a broad spectrum, and she is on it.

With being around my daughter and seeing the way she acts or reacts to social situations, I would never judge a person who were socially impaired or awkward. I would wonder if they were possibly on the spectrum.

I did see a news clip recently talking about removing the dx from the spectrum all together, and I don't understand why.

In my opinion, the condition is absolutely worthy of a diagnosis.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:22 AM

830 posts, read 1,665,690 times
I'm on the fence. I'm not sure it's worthy of a diagnosis, but I also wonder if it's because I don't read more in-depth sources about the syndrome. What I do read seems vague to me. Many of the descriptions sound like me as a kid, and I notice tons of people here on CD describe themselves the same way.

At what point does this combination of characteristics become a syndrome that one has to live with and work around, rather than something that can change or be reformed? When is the line crossed?

Also I notice the media doesn't talk about AS unless something has gone horribly wrong (like a school shooting).

On another thread about Asperger's Syndrome a poster linked an article about a business owner who has AS. It was interesting as the woman was very honest with her issues such as poor hygiene, lack of empathy, and displeasure for standard "small talk." But I'm going to be honest, if I meet someone at work who doesn't brush his teeth, wears old stinky clothes and never smiles and says "hello" I'm simply going to think "what a creep!" And for an intelligent adult to lack empathy, well, I have no empathy, and I would not want that person around me.

That's not all the negative I have to say, but I'd better stop now...

A couple of my friends have been diagnosed with high-functioning autism; I don't know whether or not Asperger's Syndrome should be considered basically the same thing--I'm leaning towards "no."

Old 11-26-2014, 11:23 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Is it utter nonsense perpetrated by the 'medical elite', or are the conditions associated worthy of diagnosis?
For one thing, it's not a disease. It's now called "Autism Spectrum Disorder" under the DSM-V, and only a mental health professional should make the diagnosis.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:31 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
I did Master's work in Clinical Psychology and my undergraduate training in Psychology as well. I think AS, if it exists, is greatly overdiagnosed. It seems like a wastepaperbasket diagnosis that clinicians put people (especially children) in when they aren't sure why they have trouble in social situations. Autism definitely exists. There is even neurological evidence of a problem in these children's brains. Asperger's is much more iffy. Social situations can be difficult for anyone, no matter what the age. Sometimes labeling something offers comfort when there is no easy answer to explain a person's behavior. And why, oh why, do some people call individuals diagnosed with the condition "Aspies?" Ugh.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:16 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:
A couple of my friends have been diagnosed with high-functioning autism; I don't know whether or not Asperger's Syndrome should be considered basically the same thing--I'm leaning towards "no."
Asperger's and high functioning autism are not the same thing.

Quote:
And why, oh why, do some people call individuals diagnosed with the condition "Aspies?" Ugh.
I'm an Aspie. It's easier to say "I'm an Aspie" than to say "I have Asperger's Syndrome". Usually I just say "I have Asperger's". To other Aspies I say "I'm an Aspie". In long speak that would read; To other people with Asperger's Syndrome I would say ..... I hope that answers your question.

Is Asperger's separate from autism? I'd say not. My mother was autistic (high functioning) while her two sons have Asperger's and their kids have (had) Asperger's and so do their grand kids. There is not indication that anyone before my mother (who was adopted so her blood family cannot be referenced) had Asperger's although it cannot be ruled out. One of my cousins on my father's side has Asperger's.

And as has been said, Asperger's is not a disease. It's a condition or set of characteristics, a syndrome. And don't underplay the challenges many people with Asperger's have to face. I could tell you my life story or my late son's life story. Yes, it can be serious! My son wasn't over-diagnosed. His condition wasn't even recognized by anyone other than myself until near the end.

Having Asperger's isn't only about social deficiencies. My son learned social skills and became a socialite and very popular too. It's the emotional pain, the anxiety plus depression that sometimes (often?) goes with it.

So, to answer the question; No, it is not utter nonsense.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:48 PM

273 posts, read 201,290 times
As someone who does have Aspergers, I can say that it is definitely different from autism. Unlike Austic people, I have no trouble communicating with people. What I do have trouble with, however, is constant communication with one person. All that chit chat/texting on the phone and hanging out every night would drive me bonkers. Got to have my alone time every so often. This is why it is extremely hard for someone with Aspergers to get into a relationship with someone else. If you see someone who is married or has a girlfriend (or boyfriend) and they claim they have Aspergers, they're straight up lying through their teeth.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:51 AM

11,021 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:
If you see someone who is married or has a girlfriend (or boyfriend) and they claim they have Aspergers, they're straight up lying through their teeth.
That's not true. I had girl friends (some disastrous, well mostly disastrous), I had a wife (with both good and hard times), I had two fine boys and some said I was the greatest Dad (including my surviving son) and yet I do have Asperger's. We are not all the same, we are affected in different ways (within the spectrum) and to different degrees.

But on having relationships, I did tend to end up with girls and women with issues. Probably because I had issues. I did struggle socially and emotionally though. Also, I was lousy at studying. Initially I flopped a few times (and struggled through school) but finally, as I got older I found myself doing quite well, sailing through top of my class with multiple distinctions. Quite a contrast to my school years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health