U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 11:09 AM

28,721 posts, read 48,884,291 times

Advertisements

I have got to the point of hating Holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas because many of close family members have died. So now I spend Thanksgiving and Christmas alone. This is why I need to start another life some where else like another state or move around in a Travel Trailer to find another place like Florida where people are my own age. What do you think about this?

Last edited by JD59; 11-27-2014 at 12:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 07:10 PM

15,207 posts, read 23,261,425 times
Maybe you can find some kind of fellowship near you, volunteer your time somewhere, etc.

We are not saved by service, but we are saved for service.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:17 PM

6,377 posts, read 9,646,144 times
Oh John. You are not alone. Today I volunteered with the Salvation Army, driving around, delivering meals to homebound people. Most are alone. Some are very sad. Loss of friends and relatives at this time of the year comes back to haunt us, because we miss them so much and remember what good times we had before.

Life is only what you make it. But remember wherever you go, there you are. Moving may not be the answer. Finding some senior activities where you already live might help. Good luck to you.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:52 PM

10,138 posts, read 14,714,565 times
When I was in CO the meet up ops weren't great here in So Cal good.

Have you looked into that?

Great point. A geographical doesn't change who you are or the potential issues any of us has.

I have wanted to volunteer on the holidays for some time, and after today while it was ok overall, I may just do it Christmas. Maybe I will feel more grateful?

Old 11-27-2014, 10:16 PM

4,294 posts, read 3,247,000 times
Hating holidays does not help if I were you I would volunteer to help some one, go to home less people make a party with them, or go to an orphan house where the kids are make a great party with them. Be a meaning full person for some others who are alone just like you.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:40 PM

I tried to join the Habitat for Humanity as a volunteer but they said they will call me when I was needed but never did. I will have to find another volunteer job like at a church. At one time I drove a church bus for 13 years straight and volunteer for 1000 hours at a VA Hospital.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:44 PM

6,377 posts, read 9,646,144 times
John; I tried to volunteer at the local hospital and submitted an on line application in June. When they finally contacted me in Sept, I had found other stuff to do. Don't give up. Some volunteer coordinators don't know much about how volunteering works and they screw it up. Find one that you would like to do and give them a call. Some organizations have more volunteers than they know what to do with. Others are crying for help. Keep looking !

Old 11-30-2014, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
John; I tried to volunteer at the local hospital and submitted an on line application in June. When they finally contacted me in Sept, I had found other stuff to do. Don't give up. Some volunteer coordinators don't know much about how volunteering works and they screw it up. Find one that you would like to do and give them a call. Some organizations have more volunteers than they know what to do with. Others are crying for help. Keep looking !
Thanks.

Old 11-30-2014, 03:51 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,027,251 times
Here you go: //www.city-data.com/forum/menta...roup-back.html

Old 12-01-2014, 03:25 AM

5,239 posts, read 6,990,293 times
There's nothing wrong with moving, sometimes it can help to start in a new place. Just make sure of your plan before ya leap. The RV life might be fun if ya have a traveling partner, but I wouldn't like it alone. There are lots of forums on traveling in an RV and detailed infor on how to convert a van to make it work well as your home on wheels. Have you read up on that at all, John?

John, if ya like pets, no kill animal shelters always need volunteers. If people have depression, anxiety and other kinds of problems it's tough to just do the basics let alone trying to volunteer someplace. People dislike the holidays for a lot of reasons, it's a sad time for folks that are alone and sick, ya remember the past and the dreams that are gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health