U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2014, 11:44 PM

46 posts, read 48,116 times

Advertisements

Going to be doing a whooole lotta first 'assesment' / interviews with various psychiatrists over the next two weeks, and just hate how they seem to control everything from making you wait past the scheduled appointment time, to controlling the whole interview process by asking a million questions, etc etc. It all seems like a subtle game of ego and control over the process and you.

You know?

I want someone who treats me like a person! Not just another nameless patient $$$ ...beneath them.

Decided to write out many of the commonly asked questions they'll be giving me, to simply save time. As in, having a card of answers to many of the basic questions I suspect they'll ask.

But, I would like to know some good, practical questions for *me* (again) to ask *them* to see if it'll be a good fit and if they're good doctors. Y'know?

Extra info: I'm late 30s been diagnosed with bipolar and social anxiety, and have also been 'self medicating' (in addition to trying every single nrw, 'miracle' anti depressant that's come through the big pharma pipeline for going on 20 years now!

Thanks for reading, looking forward to some insightful questions I may ask my prospective psychiatrist, to see if they care, are good doctors, and lastly...are a decent match for my personality.

I do have insurance BTW.

Thanks again.
Love these forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 07:53 AM

4,761 posts, read 11,735,583 times
Ask them if they prefer you write out the answers to their questions ahead of time or would prefer to ask you each question verbally.

If they prefer to ask you the questions verbally, ask why that would be better.

If they say something along the lines that they can learn more about you by watching your body language, eyes, etc. as you answer each question. And that following questions might be different depending on your answers, then that is a good psychiatrist!

Old 12-02-2014, 04:06 PM

45,269 posts, read 90,627,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louche View Post
Going to be doing a whooole lotta first 'assesment' / interviews with various psychiatrists over the next two weeks, and just hate how they seem to control everything from making you wait past the scheduled appointment time, to controlling the whole interview process by asking a million questions, etc etc. It all seems like a subtle game of ego and control over the process and you.

You know?

I want someone who treats me like a person! Not just another nameless patient $$$ ...beneath them.

Decided to write out many of the commonly asked questions they'll be giving me, to simply save time. As in, having a card of answers to many of the basic questions I suspect they'll ask.

But, I would like to know some good, practical questions for *me* (again) to ask *them* to see if it'll be a good fit and if they're good doctors. Y'know?

Extra info: I'm late 30s been diagnosed with bipolar and social anxiety, and have also been 'self medicating' (in addition to trying every single nrw, 'miracle' anti depressant that's come through the big pharma pipeline for going on 20 years now!

Thanks for reading, looking forward to some insightful questions I may ask my prospective psychiatrist, to see if they care, are good doctors, and lastly...are a decent match for my personality.

I do have insurance BTW.

Thanks again.
Love these forums.
Here's the thing my friend...since you already have a diagnosis you mostly just need a psychiatrist to monitor your medications and evaluate how they are working for you periodically.

What you really seem to be in need of is a therapist - a psychologist. That is the person who will work with you on dealing with your issues and living successfully with them

So don't get all OCD about interviewing too many psychiatrists, save your energy for finding the right therapist!

Best of luck to you.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:06 PM

2,853 posts, read 7,619,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louche View Post

You know?

I do have insurance BTW.

Thanks again.
Love these forums.
louche,

As mentioned, often psychiatrists pretty much monitor your meds.

You wait for appointments in all doctors offices for the most part.
The questions a Psychiatrist asks you are a significant part of your current mental status.
You know the drill "are you hearing voices seeing things"? etc. Standard psychiatric questions. Expect them, deal with them.

What you need to know is how flexible they will be with trying new meds and adjusting current meds.

Where are their admission privileges? Is that acceptable to you? Do they have access to a full service comprehensive team of therapists, social workers etc. should you need that.

Are they willing to coordinate your treatment with your primary physician?

Make sure you are comfortable in their office and the office staff are respectful.

Find someone you are comfortable sharing info with, especially the part about self medicating.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:21 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,679,279 times
Good advice from the previous posts.

But I wonder about your "self-medication." If by that you mean using drugs and/or alcohol, you will have to get that under control before you see any improvement. No therapist can achieve optimal results for you if you have an issue with drugs or alcohol. In addition, booze or drugs can interfere with some prescribed medications. Trying to restore one's mental health while self-medicating like this is futile. Seriously talk to your therapist about any issues you have around this. Not all of them are well-versed in how to handle, or even how to recognize serious substance abuse. And without getting that under control medications and talk therapy will be useless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or