Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 10:00 PM

342 posts, read 436,893 times

Advertisements

I do not have health insurance anymore and thought that getting generic Cymbalta (DULoxetine ) in Walmart will not be too expensive. It is $240 for 1 month supply, for 60 capsules of 60mg, I take
2x60mg per day... I am devastated.I took my last 2 pills today. I am scared to death, do not know what expect... Withdrawal...How long it lasts? How bad is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 01:51 PM

289 posts, read 448,588 times
How long have you been on cymbalta?

Old 02-14-2015, 04:10 PM

289 posts, read 503,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamarin View Post
I do not have health insurance anymore and thought that getting generic Cymbalta (DULoxetine ) in Walmart will not be too expensive. It is $240 for 1 month supply, for 60 capsules of 60mg, I take
2x60mg per day... I am devastated.I took my last 2 pills today. I am scared to death, do not know what expect... Withdrawal...How long it lasts? How bad is it?
If you want to stay on Cymbalta but are worried about the cost, I have some suggestions. For one, many drug manufacturers will offer discount prescription programs for uninsured people. You have to apply through their websites, usually. Cymbalta's manufacturer, Eli Lilly, has a program here LillyTruAssist.com - Lilly Cares - Provided by Eli Lilly and Company.

Another option is to buy your drugs through a Canada-based pharmacy. They have many generic drugs available because they get them from countries other than the US where they aren't hindered by patents. I looked up the generic for Cymbalta, duloxetine 60mg, on the website I use, and it was $100 for 100 pills, so $1 per pill. That's better than the $4 per pill Wal-Mart wants.

Another way to cut costs- ask your doctor why you are being prescribed 120mg a day. I looked up what the standard dose was, and apparently there is no research to suggest that 120mg doses are any more effective than 60mg doses. In other words, you are probably taking more than you need. Also, the safety of taking a 120mg dose over time has not been established, so you could be setting yourself up for future problems.

...Now if you are interested in just dropping the drug altogether, ask your doctor about switching you to another antidepressant that is a lot more cost-effective. Wal-Mart has several on their $4 generic list. Switching you to a different drug right away may also help combat the withdrawal effects from the Cymbalta.

If you are going to go through with the withdrawal, cold turkey was not the way to go. Ask your doctor if they have any free samples of Cymbalta so you can taper off of it, ya know, taking a smaller and smaller dose over a few weeks so it isn't such a shock to your system. Or ask your doctor to maybe switch you onto a drug with a longer half-life, like Prozac, for a few weeks (which you will taper down). Essentially your brain has adapted to the presence of the neurotransmitter reuptake inhibitors present in the drugs, and now it's going to have to readjust to them not being there. It's not going to be pleasant. Read through all of the previous posts on the thread if you want more info on that.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by box*of*rain View Post
How long have you been on cymbalta?
I have been on Cymbalta for 2 years....
Orangejello, thank you for your response. I will order from Canadian Pharmacy because I am not sure I can handle withdrawal symptoms. Today is a second day without Cymbalta and I start feeling something in my head already....

Old 02-16-2015, 03:05 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,207,511 times
Quote:
I have been on Cymbalta for 2 years....
Orangejello, thank you for your response. I will order from Canadian Pharmacy because I am not sure I can handle withdrawal symptoms. Today is a second day without Cymbalta and I start feeling something in my head already....
If you do decide to get off the drug, take it very very slowly. I was on a high dose of welbrutain and lamictal, (high since I metabalize an uncertain amout of pills, and not always the same) and was in a permenant state of mania. I tried it faster but it wasn't good at all, the depressions bad. So I did it in real small amounts and hardly noticed the drop. When I realized I wasn't taking enough to even matter I still tapered.

Once I ran out thanks the the idocy of the clinic, since that time they canceled on too many appointments, and definately wouldn't want to have that happen again.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:29 PM

I am on day 3 without Cymbalta. Canadian pharmacy ships it tomorrow and I am not sure how long will it take to get it here in AZ. Yesterday I started Dramamine every 3-4 hours because of nausea and extreme dizziness. I read on line that it helps with withdrawal symptoms and it does, a lot. I function OK, go to work ,just some headache...

Old 02-19-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
I am on day 3 without Cymbalta. Canadian pharmacy ships it tomorrow and I am not sure how long will it take to get it here in AZ. Yesterday I started Dramamine every 3-4 hours because of nausea and extreme dizziness. I read on line that it helps with withdrawal symptoms and it does, a lot. I function OK, go to work ,just some headache...
It absolutely 100% sucks! I've gone back up to about 30 mgs (from 15) bc my body hurt too much. What a mess!

How are you doing, Aquamarin?

Anyone know if there are other medications (not just ADs) that people have problems getting off of or is it just these? Like, if you were on something for cholesterol and your numbers got better, would you have withdrawal symptoms? Just curious.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:21 PM

Well, I still have not received my medications. They never shipped it on Feb 17th. Today I discovered e-mail in Junk from them telling they shipped them on Feb 25th.
After 2.5 weeks without pills my withdrawal symptoms are gone and I am just fine. I noticed I have more energy compare with time when I was on cymbalta. I exercise more and more productive in general. A little more hypo... I will try to return pills if I can.Do not want start taking them again

Old 03-05-2015, 03:24 PM

That's great news, Aquamarin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health