U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 10:04 PM

239 posts, read 292,740 times

Advertisements

I have never had insomnia and now I have had it for 5 weeks, 2 hours of sleep at night and I have cried for hours and hours and I wondered if this could cause any major health problems because my heart hurts. What can I do for insomnia? I tried sleeping pills which made me sleepy but my mind races. I have tried sleepy tea and lavender. My son read you have to fix the problem causing it. Well I have a house I bought and need to sell in Spring so that scares me. I am not even tired Like I feel wired but not right. I just want a full night sleep so I can rest and think clearly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 11:34 PM

2,934 posts, read 4,624,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinegirl7 View Post
I have never had insomnia and now I have had it for 5 weeks, 2 hours of sleep at night and I have cried for hours and hours and I wondered if this could cause any major health problems because my heart hurts. What can I do for insomnia? I tried sleeping pills which made me sleepy but my mind races. I have tried sleepy tea and lavender. My son read you have to fix the problem causing it. Well I have a house I bought and need to sell in Spring so that scares me. I am not even tired Like I feel wired but not right. I just want a full night sleep so I can rest and think clearly

Please see your doctor right away & get evaluated. Hyperthyroid comes to mind, but it could be lots of things.

Don't suffer, see your doc.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:49 PM

11,359 posts, read 21,876,726 times
I saw your other posts about the house. I think you might need meds to get through this. Please see your doctor as soon as possible.

Old 12-06-2014, 03:16 AM

4,761 posts, read 11,730,136 times
"Stress" can cause all sorts of problems!

Google the word stress and learn all about it.

FYI - The MOST stressful time of my life EVER was when I purchased a house.

Old 12-06-2014, 05:00 AM

75,290 posts, read 87,704,877 times
Whether you need meds is something for your doctor to decide, but you certainly need something to get you throgh this; you sound really stresed out. No one should cry night after night or try to exist on just a few hours of sleep. Make an appointment with your primary care doctor asap. He or she will be able to give you something that will help at least temporarily. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 12-06-2014, 03:52 PM

12,253 posts, read 23,217,887 times
Have you been to your doctor yet? How about your therapist appt? You MUST do these things to take care of yourself, mentally and physically.

Stress can certainly cause insomnia, and if stress isn't treated, can eventually lead to heart disease, cancer, and other long term debilitating diseases. Not trying to scare you, but you really need treatment.

Old 12-06-2014, 04:01 PM

83,251 posts, read 76,134,846 times
Quote:
Your nervous system is in overdrive. Due to stress from your impending home sale, and whatever's causing the crying. But also, the crying can drive up stress hormones, too.

Get a massage. It'll calm your nervous system. You may get the first night of decent sleep you've had in months, after the massage. Your body's full of stress hormones, which keep you awake. Find a way to deal better with the stress; get some professional advising re: the home sale, or do whatever you can do to make that task manageable. Take a class in meditation, especially the kind that teaches deep breathing techniques. Deep breathing turns off your stress hormones, and switches on the calming parasympathetic nervous system. Practice the breathing, and focussing the mind on the breath. If your mind wanders, just bring it back to the breath. Try this twice/day for 5 minutes each time, in the beginning.

What helps someone with stress hormones gone wild is valium before sleep. However, its highly addictive, so it's not a good solution. Perhaps consider a few counseling sessions on how to deal with stress.

Old 12-06-2014, 06:59 PM

6,295 posts, read 3,186,520 times
Prolonged stress or intense stress can deplete your system and cause you to crash. I always suggest zinc and magnesium with B6 (the B6 is for absorption) for stress along with high potency multivitamins. Something that has been great for me is L-Theanine. It's what is in sleepy tea but nowhere near enough. I'd also suggest L-Tryptophan. You can buy these in capsule form. There is a warning out on taking L-Tryptophan with some anti-depressants (together they could raise serotonin levels too much). I reality, these are simply the amino acids the body uses to make neuro-chemicals that become depleted under stress.

I also suggest taking a multi-mineral supplement as well (alongside the zinc and magnesium).

Valium works by boosting GABA levels L-Theanine does the same thing the nutrient way. Even heartache comes under control (I would know). Stress diminishes and sleep improves. One can also get chewable GABA which is said to have the same felt effect as Valium (never tried either).

Also add Omega-3 which improves mental functioning.

The added effect should go a long way to helping you get your anxiety under control. Anxiety in itself leads to more anxiety - it's a self feeding viscous circle! Taking short term medication to initially get good sleep might be an option to break that cycle.

If you do see a doctor (and I think you should) and you do decide to try the above suggestions then let him/her know so as to avoid over dose.

All the best and do take care
303Guy

Old 12-07-2014, 08:33 PM

4,881 posts, read 5,096,845 times
Sunshinegirl,
Sorry that you are so upset but you started a post about this in October and got some excellent feedback and advice.
Now, you have 2 more about the same thing. See your doctor and for the time being get some medication for your
anxiety. Also, all you need to do about the house you just bought, is start painting, (like the OP on this post) redecorating
and cleaning the carpet which you were very upset about.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:11 PM

45,269 posts, read 90,610,997 times
Quote:
Have you made an appt with a therapist yet?

Your anxiety and OCD is off the charts and you need real help now Sunshinegirl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health