U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 08:16 PM

546 posts, read 768,183 times

Advertisements

This is a massive risk I am undertaking because transcranial magnetic therapy is only given as a last resort even though it is perfectly safe and non invasive. But, only if medication and therapy don't work. I have never taken any medication and took only 5 sessions of cognitive therapy.

In Canada and other first world nations there is a lengthy process before you can be allowed to proceed. In toronto the waiting list at a premier hospital is till January next year. So, I decided to fly all the way around the world to a third world country where I bought the whole machine and bribed a doctor to administer it to me.
The sessions begin on the 17th of this month and will last a minimum of one month. I am excited.

I will keep an update of my sessions on this thread for all of us. In a way I am the guinea pig.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 08:45 PM

45,269 posts, read 90,594,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
This is a massive risk I am undertaking because transcranial magnetic therapy is only given as a last resort even though it is perfectly safe and non invasive. But, only if medication and therapy don't work. I have never taken any medication and took only 5 sessions of cognitive therapy.

In Canada and other first world nations there is a lengthy process before you can be allowed to proceed. In toronto the waiting list at a premier hospital is till January next year. So, I decided to fly all the way around the world to a third world country where I bought the whole machine and bribed a doctor to administer it to me.
The sessions begin on the 17th of this month and will last a minimum of one month. I am excited.

I will keep an update of my sessions on this thread for all of us. In a way I am the guinea pig.
My friend, there is no "massive risk" with this therapy when done by professionals with experience! WHY WOULDN'T YOU JUST COME TO AMERICA?? You could have had the treatment in many different places without buying a whole machine yourself and going to a 3rd world country - good grief

Old 12-09-2014, 11:07 PM

6,276 posts, read 3,183,142 times
I hope it goes well.

303Guy

Old 12-09-2014, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
My friend, there is no "massive risk" with this therapy when done by professionals with experience! WHY WOULDN'T YOU JUST COME TO AMERICA?? You could have had the treatment in many different places without buying a whole machine yourself and going to a 3rd world country - good grief
Haha, thank you my friend, for your concern but I did talk to many clinics and ultimately it comes down to cost. I cannot afford 7-10k otherwise I'd have done it in Netherlands or even Canada. Seeing as how safe and easy the process is, I figured I could do it with minimum investment.

There is no massive risk anyway but I mentioned it because I have no diagnosis of any mental illness(though the few sessions I attended in Canada he clearly said there's a pattern of depression and anxiety) nor have I ever taken any medication, so I am going by my own instinct and hunch. That's the risk.

I'll keep everyone updated.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:09 AM

17,483 posts, read 15,508,040 times
Ok. Good luck with that.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:17 AM

Day 1:

The first session was for 32 minutes. They placed a helmet on me and I could literally feel nothing. That's how it should be I was told. My doctor was very reassuring and as 303guy here had mentioned to me many a times: He emphasized the importance of a good diet. Fruits, veggies, meat. He gave me examples of how fit and dandy his ancestors were(He himself was in his 60s I think) and it was all due to raw diet and happy living.

Anyway tomorrow the session goes to an hour and I should expect to go every six days for the next 6 weeks(45 days approx).
Attached Thumbnails
I am taking rTMS therapy-photo-2-.jpg   I am taking rTMS therapy-img_2373.jpg  

Old 12-18-2014, 05:01 PM

45,269 posts, read 90,594,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
Day 1:

The first session was for 32 minutes. They placed a helmet on me and I could literally feel nothing. That's how it should be I was told. My doctor was very reassuring and as 303guy here had mentioned to me many a times: He emphasized the importance of a good diet. Fruits, veggies, meat. He gave me examples of how fit and dandy his ancestors were(He himself was in his 60s I think) and it was all due to raw diet and happy living.

Anyway tomorrow the session goes to an hour and I should expect to go every six days for the next 6 weeks(45 days approx).
I will be following your progress! Best wishes!!

Old 12-19-2014, 09:12 PM

Day 2:

Today's session was for 48 minutes. Nothing much to add: the same no sensation whatsoever. He said the effects-if they show- start showing after 10-15 sessions. I must add that I slept like a baby today, something I haven't done for ages(probably months). However being the skeptic I am I think it could also be down to the 5 kilometres I walked before going to bed. Regardless, I awoke very happy and light headed.

I must also add that after the first session yesterday I was told I'd have a good sleep(which is usually the case with recorded patients). That did not happen as I have an overactive imagination. However I did feel "good". Exactly like how I had felt after my first head massage in Canada-exactly the same feeling.

In some ways this therapy is having an effect. To what extent and how I cannot say yet.

Take care
Rishi.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:21 PM

6,276 posts, read 3,183,142 times
I'm very interested in your progress, Rishi. I watched a documentary on a device that stimulates specific areas of the brain and this was being used to stimulated the area responsible for mathematics. Interestingly, it worked! The subjects scored better at maths.

I had an episode a few days ago in which I was just tired and could not wake up in the morning, so much so I had a cup of coffee - something I never drink. It worked! That got me thinking about that stimulating device.

Keep us posted.

303Guy

Old 12-20-2014, 07:27 PM

28 posts, read 44,103 times
I am interested as well. I have a friend who tried that and said it just gave her a headache so they switched to ECT finally. She did not complete those treatments and wishes she had, but thinks her meds are right now. But she's still having some symptoms of depression.

Would be interested to know if they cause you headaches and if so, are the headaches worth the relief from depression?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or