U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-11-2014, 07:57 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
1,831 posts, read 2,539,660 times
Reputation: 2672

Advertisements

Man it's been a rocky year. Up and down. I was pretty depressed in the summer, having lost our loving dog, and then hurting my foot so I could barely move for a few months. In the fall, the foot got better, I quit ambien and was sleeping pretty good, and felt overall happy. We adopted a dog about a month ago, and I felt uneasy at times but I knew that with the right training she would make a great addition to our family. Unfortunately we have to return her because of a severe health issue that requires surgery that we could not afford-if it had been disclosed to us at the time of adoption we never would have taken her. I'm just feeling a bit low right now, and I'm hoping that it's just temporary. I can't take going through another depression right now. I'm trying to look on the bright side of things-that we found out early enough that we weren't TOO attached to her, that she will find a better home that can afford the surgery-but it's not so helpful right now.

I don't always feel like I have someone I can totally confide in about these things, so that's why I'm posting here. I think I will be ok, it's just a tough week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-11-2014, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 90,683,688 times
Reputation: 39972
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
Man it's been a rocky year. Up and down. I was pretty depressed in the summer, having lost our loving dog, and then hurting my foot so I could barely move for a few months. In the fall, the foot got better, I quit ambien and was sleeping pretty good, and felt overall happy. We adopted a dog about a month ago, and I felt uneasy at times but I knew that with the right training she would make a great addition to our family. Unfortunately we have to return her because of a severe health issue that requires surgery that we could not afford-if it had been disclosed to us at the time of adoption we never would have taken her. I'm just feeling a bit low right now, and I'm hoping that it's just temporary. I can't take going through another depression right now. I'm trying to look on the bright side of things-that we found out early enough that we weren't TOO attached to her, that she will find a better home that can afford the surgery-but it's not so helpful right now.

I don't always feel like I have someone I can totally confide in about these things, so that's why I'm posting here. I think I will be ok, it's just a tough week.
I hear ya, and I understand.

If I could offer a suggestion I would tell you to try this...start voicing gratitude for something from the moment you wake up and then several times throughout the day.

Sounds silly but it is actually quite effective over time at keeping you from feeling too overwhelmed or down.

Hang in there, this too shall pass!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2014, 03:14 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
1,831 posts, read 2,539,660 times
Reputation: 2672
Thank you. It makes sense. I think I do that automatically at times, thinking about the things I'm thankful for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2014, 03:29 PM
 
125 posts, read 242,241 times
Reputation: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I hear ya, and I understand.

If I could offer a suggestion I would tell you to try this...start voicing gratitude for something from the moment you wake up and then several times throughout the day.

Sounds silly but it is actually quite effective over time at keeping you from feeling too overwhelmed or down.

Hang in there, this too shall pass!
I second this, gratitude has been a major catalyst in my recovery from a 15 year long depression!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2014, 06:51 PM
 
Location: Somewhere
6,370 posts, read 6,004,500 times
Reputation: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
Man it's been a rocky year. Up and down. I was pretty depressed in the summer, having lost our loving dog, and then hurting my foot so I could barely move for a few months. In the fall, the foot got better, I quit ambien and was sleeping pretty good, and felt overall happy. We adopted a dog about a month ago, and I felt uneasy at times but I knew that with the right training she would make a great addition to our family. Unfortunately we have to return her because of a severe health issue that requires surgery that we could not afford-if it had been disclosed to us at the time of adoption we never would have taken her. I'm just feeling a bit low right now, and I'm hoping that it's just temporary. I can't take going through another depression right now. I'm trying to look on the bright side of things-that we found out early enough that we weren't TOO attached to her, that she will find a better home that can afford the surgery-but it's not so helpful right now.

I don't always feel like I have someone I can totally confide in about these things, so that's why I'm posting here. I think I will be ok, it's just a tough week.
I lost my buddy last spring (little rat terrier mix). I loved that dog. I got another dog from a shelter and he is my new little buddy. I know how painful it is to lose your dog. I had to make the decision to put mine down as I couldn't stand to see him suffer. I truley hope you get better. I make trips to this forum often so hopefully, if you get down I can come in and try to cheer you up. I hope your foot is doing well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2014, 06:53 PM
 
Location: Somewhere
6,370 posts, read 6,004,500 times
Reputation: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
Thank you. It makes sense. I think I do that automatically at times, thinking about the things I'm thankful for.
Also, try to remove negative things from your life. Look and seek out positive news. I know that if you have depression - often times this can be a physiological issue. You may try to take some foods that are high in b vitamins as they are very good for mental health. Look for foods high in niacin and enjoy getting out in sunny days. I hope that helps you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2014, 03:04 PM
 
10,836 posts, read 10,063,753 times
Reputation: 13908
Nothing wrong with feeling low. It's a part of life. I'm just reading something that maintains that if we weren't unhappy sometimes, we wouldn't appreciate being happy. And counter-intuitively, many people find the Christmas season to be depressing.

Meanwhile, congratulations on getting off the Ambien.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2014, 07:55 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
1,831 posts, read 2,539,660 times
Reputation: 2672
Thank you all for the positive posts. We returned the shelter dog this weekend, and I feel a bit guilty saying it, but a weight has been lifted. Someone at the shelter may actually be able to adopt her & afford her care, which makes me feel so much better. I am feeling much more 'uplifted.' My birthday was yesterday and we spent Saturday with my family & my husband's. It was wonderful to see everyone, and they all supported us in the decision to return her. It made me feel so thankful for the people I have in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2014, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Somewhere
6,370 posts, read 6,004,500 times
Reputation: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
Thank you all for the positive posts. We returned the shelter dog this weekend, and I feel a bit guilty saying it, but a weight has been lifted. Someone at the shelter may actually be able to adopt her & afford her care, which makes me feel so much better. I am feeling much more 'uplifted.' My birthday was yesterday and we spent Saturday with my family & my husband's. It was wonderful to see everyone, and they all supported us in the decision to return her. It made me feel so thankful for the people I have in my life.
I'm glad to hear your feeling better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top