U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 10:57 AM

24,839 posts, read 33,495,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
OH MY GOSH!!!!
this is insane!!
why do people who have no experience with something so dangerous as untreated sexual abuse
tell someone
NO PROBLEM
I am sorry, but that is just as bad as telling someone you are lying about abuse
I was abused and it almost caused me to commit suicide
denial and stuffing feelings are quite common in abuse
I had no memory until I was 33 and I even had people tell me it was in the past so let it go
gosh, you can cause harm to people
please be aware of that!!!
I thief takes your things.

A child molester takes a piece of your soul.

I am so very sorry for you pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 05:11 PM

8 posts, read 8,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Please don't speak for me (or the OP if he so wishes).

My brother and I were molested as a kid and it did not bother either of us one bit. We thought it was funny actually. Later the guy was arrested for doing things "more serious than what he did to us". But no biggie so far as I am concerned.

People are different and things are not necessarily traumatic to everyone.
I wonder ... what percentage of pedophiles (who i believe it's accurate to say were themselves molested as children) are also in denial about the incredibly damaging effects of sexual abuse. If a child molester thinks that it's "no biggie", then it would make it much easier for them to rationalize their actions as they inflict this kind of abuse.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:08 AM

5,989 posts, read 3,285,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
go get help for the abuse
I am sickened by all the denial
stupid responses of some people on here
gosh I am a survivor because I did the work
before that I was a victim
and being a victim I damned near died from alcoholism drug addiction and many dysfunctional relationships
many who were violent
the ROOT??
Childhood insect
I am so sorry---typos can provide quite the comic relief--"the ROOT?? Childhood insect".

Old 01-03-2015, 07:21 AM

5,697 posts, read 5,620,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I am so sorry---typos can provide quite the comic relief--"the ROOT?? Childhood insect".

glad you got a laugh out of my pain

Old 01-03-2015, 08:00 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,036,041 times
OP you are normal and there is nothing wrong with how you deal with your past abuse. Everyone processes differently. Avoiding thinking about it, feeling numb and distanced from the events and choosing not to remember is a form of self protection. Even continuing a relationship with your abusers as if nothing had ever happened is normal. At some level you know that you are not ready to come face to face with the reality of what happened. That's okay. I did much the same for a very long time.

For me though really coming to terms with the past meant facing it, examining it, talking about it with a very trusted friend (who has a very similar story) was what really helped me to lay it to rest. For me it also meant cutting off all contact with certain family members.

The process of getting to where I am now regarding this was not easy. It took several years of careful thought and being willing to share a little of my story with people who needed to hear it. Sometimes one of the best thing for people like us is to talk to other people like us so we know that we are not alone. Getting it out of the shadows and into the light makes it less of a monster in the closet. Knowing that other people have been thought it and survived and thrived and talking about our experiences validates us that what happened to us was real. It is a fact. Something that happened. It was not okay and it was not my fault. But it is in the past. Like any traumatic injury it left a mark on me. It has an effect on the person I am today. But it does not define me. As my very close friend said to me, when I finally told her what happened to me.

"They f'ed up the first half of your life. Don't give them the rest."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or