U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2014, 05:36 AM

3,824 posts, read 3,132,539 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all,

Yesterday was one year since I graduated college. I still feel like a loser - I was hoping to have my life settled by now. I hate the area I live in and I was hoping to be in Michigan by now and working full time. Instead, I'm still in Pennsylvania and I do love my job at the library, though it's part time. I realized this year that entry level people really can't move with a job lined up because it's easier for employers to find local. I didn't want to move without a job lined up.

I think I finally landed a 2nd work at home job... but it's depressing me. At the end of November, I was sent a flyer for a work at home position for a market researcher. It's flexible, totally remote so it could be done anywhere, and has both fulltime and parttime hours. Just needed high speed internet access. I went to the open house two weeks ago and was hired on the spot. They said I'd be perfect.

I went for the training last week - it was paid - and the training went well. I'm calling businesses to find out information about their relocation. A few hung up, but most talked to me. When I was hired, they said I should bring my laptop and practice on my laptop. Since there were 5 other people there, we used their computers. I asked about WiFi because mom works from home. She said, "Well, WiFi can be wonky, but it could work." Mom uses the Ethernet cable and mom said, "We can't get another router. Especially for the basement." Yesterday I found the one headset I had didn't work because people on the other end said, "Hello? Hello? Can't hear you?" When I used the other one I had that worked totally, I didn't get "Hello? Hello? We can't hear you?" I just said, "This is Jessica. I'm calling to confirm that your company is still planning to move?" And was hung up on. The calls are recorded and my supervisor couldn't tell me if I was heard. I am on a message board with the dialing company because when I called it said submit a ticket, so I went online to submit a ticket and the e-mail response was "we don't do e-mail inquiries. Go here: x." The tech said the dialer is out of date, but it should be fine. I'm waiting to hear back from him to see what I can do about WiFi. I'm really hoping it works out because it would be great to work from home and it's great that it's remote and can be done anywhere. But, also, the money would be good right now. Just frustrating.

I am really hoping I can get the WiFi figured out because I do need a 2nd job, especially a 2nd job that is flexible with the library, but also it pays decently and it might allow me to move by summer 2016. I just feel depressed. I feel like a failure and loser because I can't even accomplish my dreams or jobs go wrong.

Last edited by jessxwrites89; 12-16-2014 at 07:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 12:52 PM

Had to resign from the job because the other company said Ethernet is a must. Can't afford another router and since they weren't paying for it or reimbursing me. My family member that works from home just said, "I would prefer if you got a 2nd job outside the house." I have to find something that will be okay with me working a 2nd job. Library is totally flexible, so I can work another job during their set hours, then the library. I might have to put moving off and work at my own pace to save.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:49 PM

6,427 posts, read 3,248,569 times
I hope things work out for you. It's a pity no one was able to help you with that WI-FI/router problem. Did you ask under 'Computers'? Anyway, it's done now but it might pay you to ask them over there.

All the best
303Guy

Old 12-17-2014, 04:37 AM

No. My mom, the one that works from home, changed her mind and didn't want me working from home either. This company, I think was a scam because they wouldn't help at all and they hung up on me a few times, but even legitimate work at home companies aren't allowed here anymore. I'm just unhappy in my current area and I think that's why it's really hard for me to find a 2nd job, not because I want to keep my library job until I move. I just wish I knew how I could fake being happy to just get a 2nd job here to start saving to realize my actual dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or