U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 07:00 AM

12,251 posts, read 9,286,042 times

Advertisements

Family counseling was very beneficial to my family. Sometimes just talking it out enables one to see things more clearly. Better than stuffing it. Plus a good counselor can give someone the tools they need to head in the right direction, or at least a less self-destructive one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 07:22 AM

1,306 posts, read 1,144,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I know I'll get flamed for saying this but there are great IT opportunities in the military. If you successfully complete a 4 year contract you will forever be a veteran and will have something to be very proud of. Additionally it looks great on a resume, it can get you out of NY, you will be helping people with their IT problems (rewarding), you will have 3 hots and a cot. And good benefits and a decent income with lots of great training. You will accomplish so much more than you could ever dream possible physically, intellectually and socially!

I hope you find a way to contribute to others to keep your mind where it should be. (homeless shelter, animal shelter, reading to - cats, elders, children, trail maintenance at a park system) Get busy, stay busy, and learn tricks to keep your mind from taking you to self-destruction. That's not you. That's the enemy. You're the good guy!
This is EXACTLY why I joined the military back in '85. I was living in a rented room and worked at Alexanders on Fordham Rd, 20 y/o and feeling trapped as hell haha. I joined the Navy and halfway through bootcamp tried to get out.....but it was too late. (BTW OP bootcamp is not to be compared to years ago, I hear they can't hit you or get all up in your face Full Metal Jacket style anymore).

I was hoping to get this magical job at the Brooklyn Navy Yard but they shipped me to Subic Bay, Republic of the Philippines LOL....I was scared at the time but looking back, that experience got me out into the world, forced me to adapt and not be scared of change. It does look good on your resume, and you get the GI Bill (chance to go to school, upgrade your education and improve your $$$ when you get out) then once you get that bomb azz job you can buy a home using your VA loan benefit.

Whatever you do OP, try to get to a Dr. if you can. It sounds like you have some sort of depression going on. I'm not a proponent for instant meds = instant happiness, but maybe you can get on an anti-depressant at the lowest dosage/mg (I did this) to see if that gets you over that hump and gets you moving. Good luck OP.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:10 PM

144 posts, read 151,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Hey, I've been in tough situations myself... but I think you're going about it the right away. What I recommend is going somewhere with a lot of sun and warm weather.

Companies all of the United States need an IT guy, doesn't matter where you are. My recommendation would be to go to Southeast Florida. You will not regret it there.
That is...if he can handle the mosquitoes and fatal heat of the summer. But I do agree that a change of scenery can be therapeutical.^^ I'm in the same boat and I can say that OP should find a place where he can settle and find his/her sense of belonging. I think you've found your place if you can live comfortably even with little money. NYC is definitely NOT that kind of place. Hmmm, my uncle lived in Hawaii while homeless. He survived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health