Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 10:00 PM

7 posts, read 7,086 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, just wanted to vent or say somethings on how I am feeling at the moment.

I'm a 29 year old man still living at home with no direction . I've failed at my business atempt and just have a part time IT Tech job. For the first time in a long time I've been having suicidal thoughts. Its become so bad that I think of ways how I can die, and I feel good about it in a weird way. I've never been clinically diagnosed with depression but I am positive I am. My parents suffer from it so I'm sure I have the same fate. I really can't live at home anymore. It kills me waking up that I'm still home with no future. So I've been thinking about moving out with the limited money I have and just try to find something somewhere else. I live in NYC and I just hate it. I want to move away from the city,maybe to a small town where its quiet. I don't have a car but I can buy a cheap one just to travel.

Problem is I don't know how to start. Not sure where to move to. I have no wife no kids so no baggage, I'm free to do what I want just don't know.

Any tips? Recommendations?

I try to think positive everyday, but knowing that I'm still with my parents just kills my morale.

If anyone took time to read this, thank you very much i appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 04:19 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
Op, you sound very depressed. I think you should schedule an appointment with a therapist ASAP then go from there.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:47 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Hey, I've been in tough situations myself... but I think you're going about it the right away. What I recommend is going somewhere with a lot of sun and warm weather.

Companies all of the United States need an IT guy, doesn't matter where you are. My recommendation would be to go to Southeast Florida. You will not regret it there.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:04 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
I know I'll get flamed for saying this but there are great IT opportunities in the military. If you successfully complete a 4 year contract you will forever be a veteran and will have something to be very proud of. Additionally it looks great on a resume, it can get you out of NY, you will be helping people with their IT problems (rewarding), you will have 3 hots and a cot. And good benefits and a decent income with lots of great training. You will accomplish so much more than you could ever dream possible physically, intellectually and socially!

I hope you find a way to contribute to others to keep your mind where it should be. (homeless shelter, animal shelter, reading to - cats, elders, children, trail maintenance at a park system) Get busy, stay busy, and learn tricks to keep your mind from taking you to self-destruction. That's not you. That's the enemy. You're the good guy!

Old 12-21-2014, 08:41 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,416,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I know I'll get flamed for saying this but there are great IT opportunities in the military. If you successfully complete a 4 year contract you will forever be a veteran and will have something to be very proud of. Additionally it looks great on a resume, it can get you out of NY, you will be helping people with their IT problems (rewarding), you will have 3 hots and a cot. And good benefits and a decent income with lots of great training. You will accomplish so much more than you could ever dream possible physically, intellectually and socially!

I hope you find a way to contribute to others to keep your mind where it should be. (homeless shelter, animal shelter, reading to - cats, elders, children, trail maintenance at a park system) Get busy, stay busy, and learn tricks to keep your mind from taking you to self-destruction. That's not you. That's the enemy. You're the good guy!
You'll get no flame from me. It sounds like a good idea.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Op, you sound very depressed. I think you should schedule an appointment with a therapist ASAP then go from there.
I'm seriously considering that. When I was younger I was able to brush it away,play games go out with friends. But as I get older those things won't be there for me as much. I just don't want to bebe on pills, but if that's the only thing that can help me then I have no choice.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Hey, I've been in tough situations myself... but I think you're going about it the right away. What I recommend is going somewhere with a lot of sun and warm weather.

Companies all of the United States need an IT guy, doesn't matter where you are. My recommendation would be to go to Southeast Florida. You will not regret it there.
Thanks for the recommendation. I love a warm place, its pretty cold in NYC right now. I've been applying to it tech jobs all over the country. Haven't tried florida yet.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post

My brother is actually a veteran working at a VA hospital.

I thought I was too old to join the military. But what you said sounds really good.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoveAwayTime View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. I love a warm place, its pretty cold in NYC right now. I've been applying to it tech jobs all over the country. Haven't tried florida yet.

I moved to Miami in a rough time for myself and it really helped. I wouldn't recommend Miami to you because it's quite hectic and also no one speaks English.

Southeast Florida is tropical and laid back, perfect for just relaxing and enjoying yourself (as long as you have a job).

Old 12-21-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoveAwayTime View Post
My brother is actually a veteran working at a VA hospital.

I thought I was too old to join the military. But what you said sounds really good.

As long as youre under 35 you can join the military.

It's not a bad option. However, if you already have schooling and IT experience, you might just be better off looking for a new job in a different location.

If you were interested in a career change or getting more education, the military is a great path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health