U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2014, 03:35 PM

15 posts, read 29,010 times

Advertisements

I've been struggling with severe depression for a while, and I've lost a lot of weight. I'm a 24 year old male and about 5'11''. I'm down to 135 pounds. I used to be around 180. I've only been eating once a day. I've gone for 2 or even 3 days without eating the depression was so bad. I don't want to keep losing weight. I'm not really used to eating 3 meals a day though. Are smoothies good? Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 10:36 AM

8,452 posts, read 12,276,711 times
Peanut butter (buy the natural kind with the oil on top and no sugar) is calorie dense, high protein, and you can take a peanut butter sandwich everywhere without refrigeration. A 16oz jar has almost 3,000 calories, which for most people translates to 1 pound of weight.

Here a site that might help too:

Top 10 Foods Highest in Calories

Old 12-24-2014, 08:34 PM

5,239 posts, read 7,021,520 times
It might be a good idea to supplement protein bars and drinks throughout the day. I used to make a malted type drink in the mornings. I used to be a weightlifter, always had trouble eating enough then, but with the depression it's really difficult. I understand the one meal a day thing real well.

Here's a recipe for ya to try. Peanut Butter Fat Bombs! Ya might get more ideas and help from folks there, most are helpful and might be able to give you some general direction about nutrition, many are quite knowledgeable.
The Simplest Fat Bomb You'll EVER make! - Bodybuilding.com Forums

You might also look into herbs that increase appetite. Herbs which have a specific effect on improving the appetite are Spearmint, Peppermint, Bitter Melon, Barberry and Gentian. Red wine, grapefruit and apples also increase the appetite by stimulating the digestive secretions. Do some research, here's one list and brief article.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/38...ease-appetite/

Last edited by todd00; 12-24-2014 at 08:42 PM..

Old 12-25-2014, 03:44 PM

5,697 posts, read 5,627,315 times
have you talked to your doctor about this
there is help available
I have clinical depression and take meds
I am also a recovering alcoholic of 16 years, I went to therapy for awhile as well
hope you get better
I wish you everything wonderful~~

Old 12-26-2014, 12:11 AM

6,427 posts, read 3,248,569 times
You don't need to 'gain weight', you need to put back lost muscle mass. Eat nutritious foods. Leave out the junk, especially sugar and refined carbs. Make sure you are getting all the micro-nutrients you need in therapeutic amounts and keep your protein intake up. Peanut butter is good, so are cashews. Cashews are probably better so eat both. Eat salads with avocado.

Otherwise, as tod00 says.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:32 AM

21,751 posts, read 20,808,041 times
You can also buy Ensure Plus. You will be getting healthy nutrients PLUS extra calories and if you get a good flavor like chocolate it tastes pretty good. Do it along with the other weight gaining suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health