U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 06:22 PM

38 posts, read 48,326 times

Advertisements

i have suicidal depression, panic attacks, and always like having a damn vise on my chest, with not being able to sleep.
doctors couldnt find not a single med that would work and to boot ended up with withdrawls from having to come back off one to go to another. it was torture.
the fix ended up being one thing. and it was something i thought i would never ever use.
medical marijuana.
not street bought crap. the stuff at the dispensaries. there are a huge amount of strains and each helps for one thing or another.
Strain Guide | Medical Marijuana Strains
the clear head strain fixed me. there are others but i didnt want the high (couch potato, zombie, instant bed time, hunger, ext)
i dont even have to do it every day or all day. just a hit in the morning and im good for a about 2 days.
ii went through tons of meds and doctors to no avail. i sat with 2 psychologists and a different doctor at the same time and they all agreed that mm was the best route for me to go, and it worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 07:10 PM

15,553 posts, read 22,912,299 times
Like others have said, you need to try anti depressants for yourself, what works for me, may not work for you. I started doing yoga and it has made a world of difference!

Old 01-05-2015, 11:29 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,413,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Ever hear of Prozac poop out? It's a term for when your long-term antidepressants stop working as well as they used to. For me (and many cases I've read about) it started after 3-5 years or so.

Because I'm generally on low doses of Prozac (10-20mg), I can easily go cold turkey for a couple months and just start anew. 2 weeks later its back to its best "performance."

I've had to tell my psychiatrists (or GPs) about this basic phenomena, they apparently don't do any research beyond what the drug companies tell them (how lame is that?)

I've also been experimenting with going off entirely but have come to respect the drug's benefits for me. I could live without it but see it as a life enhancement. I'm more angry and beat myself up more without the Prozac.

I'd also advise anyone who starts to try to get by on as low a dose as possible. Living on high doses for years means withdrawal could be brutal and you may not have the flexibility to do what I described above. And of course exersize is critical, without it, you are not even trying to be well/happy.
I'm missing the part of the small intestine responsible for absorbing most drugs. I've always told doctors and mostly the medical ones get it. The psych ones just say that shouldn't be a problem. (really????) Drugs either hit me like a truck all at once, or do nothing, or something inbetween. It all depends on where it happens to be absorbed. Thus, one time its nothing. One time its instant mania. One time its zoned out too much, but not mania. Thus, I took myself off meds and find I do better without them paying close attention to the environmental things which trigger downs and if necessary take a mild ad on an as needed basis.

If your on any other kind of drugs which could impare absorbtion or you have this as a problem, talk to your MEDICAL doctor about the expected ways a drug might be absorbed. Pdocs do just read the short form of the drug companies literature. I always look back to the FDA approval for warnings. With one drug, it said specifically if you have a ph imbalance do not take it. Good thing I looked it up. It was a warning with a big red warning check above it on the FDA papers. PDoc actually argued with me.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:50 AM

6,322 posts, read 5,073,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker2014 View Post
Spirituality is the best antidepressant...ain't saying you don't need to go to a doctor, but I've found most depressions are a lack of spirituality. Even if you aren't a religious person, spirituality (a good one) will be very helpful.

Wayne Dyer recommend on his books often to say every morning "thanks" to your deity.

No it isn't. While it may be a good ADJUNCT therapy, It's ideas such as these that make people needlessly suffer. Advice like this can be lethal.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:56 PM

10,141 posts, read 14,811,085 times
Psychiatric medicine is trial and error sorry, that's the truth.

Your wonder drug could be our nightmare. I have seen the same drug cause insomnia in one that makes the other sleep 8 hours.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:24 AM

67 posts, read 129,595 times
Try some natural cures... B-12, St John's Wort, 5 HTP, omega 3's/fish oil. Also, depression could be caused by thyroid problems, so have your thyroid checked. From personal experience, I don't think taking pharmaceuticals on a daily basis are the way to go. I've been on Zoloft, Lexapro, and Pristiq for anxiety and depression. They all helped with my anxiety but not depression. I've been able to cure the depression with proper nutrition and vitamin supplementation. The anxiety is still an ongoing struggle. I take Ativan for it as needed.

Someone else mentioned medical marijuana... I take that also sometimes, and it makes me feel good

Old 01-13-2015, 02:09 PM

1,256 posts, read 3,090,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
There is no "best" antidepressant. Everyone's brain is wired differently, so while one may work well for one person, it might not work at all for another. I've taken Paxil, Zoloft, lexapro, and cymbalta for anxiety and mild depression. The only one that I felt helped at all was lexapro, but it still wasn't worth the side effects, as not being able to climax during sex was as bad as being clinically anxious all the time. With that being said, diet and exercise does more for me than any drug ever has, and it's not even close. You just have to force yourself to do it. Keeping a healthy diet is also really important. I went from having issues with leaving my house, to being the person I was as a young man through major lifestyle changes. The first major change was daily exercise. I started out with just jogging a mile a day and progressed into being a full on gym-rat adrenalin junkie. These days I spend a lot of my time on my trail bike or kayaking with friends that share my interests, and I do weight barring exercises daily. My diet took me a while to figure out, but I now know what keeps me running on all cylinders. The first thing I did was lose the junk food. For the first time in my life, I started eating Lots of fruits and vegetables, as well as whole grains loaded with fiber. I eliminated a lot of things from my daily diet like dairy, red meat, and sweets. That doesn't mean I won't treat myself while out at a dinner once in a while, but when I went to a mostly Pescetarian diet loaded with omega rich super foods like salmon, almonds, and Avocado I felt different than I had in a very long time. The last thing that I did, which might have been the most important, was cutting back my alcohol consumption down to almost nothing, and eliminating caffeine, nicotine, and marijuana use completely, as they were all things that perpetuated my anxiety, which eventually caused my depression at the peak of what I now call the dark times.

I'm sure you've been told this by doctors a million times if you have been dealing with mental illness over the years, but I'm here to tell you that lifestyle changes are more effective than drugs for a lot of people including myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Psychiatric medicine is trial and error sorry, that's the truth.

Your wonder drug could be our nightmare. I have seen the same drug cause insomnia in one that makes the other sleep 8 hours.
Very good points. The "best antidepressant" can only be determined after you have taken several medications, to see how those substance affect you, individually. My wife absolutely hates Wellbutrin. With a passion. She will never take it again, ever, because of unacceptable side effects. Nonetheless, Wellbutrin is a great drug that has saved countless lives by preventing suicide. The same can be said for just about any other antidepressant. So, does she tell others to avoid Wellbutrin? Clearly, she does not.

If there was one "best" antidepressant, that drug would be the only antidepressant on the world market. As it is, some drugs will work for you, and some will not. There is only one way to find out.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:42 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,011,878 times
Quote:
Spirituality is the best antidepressant...ain't saying you don't need to go to a doctor, but I've found most depressions are a lack of spirituality. Even if you aren't a religious person, spirituality (a good one) will be very helpful.

Wayne Dyer recommend on his books often to say every morning "thanks" to your deity.
This is REALLY Bad advice to give to anyone with clinical anxiety ( Typically GAD) or depression ( Typically MDD). Both clinical Depression and anxiety are caused by chemical imbalances. Spirituality isn't going to do anything for someone that lacks a normal brain chemistry.

Clinical anxiety and depression are a completely different animal than feeling blue or feeling a little anxious because one hasn't found purpose in their life or is going through a rough spot. It's sad that in this day in age so many people still don't know the difference.

I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder many years ago, and I'm a practicing physical therapist that is well educated in clinical anxiety and depression if that helps anyone reading this thread. This is a very serious issue, and I hate seeing this type of nonsense because it's dangerous.

If you are experiencing prolonged depression, anxiety, or suicidal thoughts
........please see a doctor.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:10 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,104,548 times
Quote:

Just curious, would you recommend this strategy (spirituality) if you had a broken leg or a heart attack? You need to educate yourself that depression and many other mental illnesses have biological underpinnings.

By the way, when Wayne Dyer is on the TV, I change the channel immediately.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:36 AM

14,936 posts, read 27,068,698 times
*Thank you*. I loathe Dyer and his ilk. I think they do more damage than most well-meaning people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or